HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined May 2004
371 Posts
Discussion
ECX Boost

I have a friend that wants to get into entry level racing and I think this can be a good start. I keep hearing about the price being $129.99 but I've really only found this car for $159.99. A review on UltimateRC showed it can take a beating too! Any other thoughts?

Another car I've considered for my friend is the "Arrma ADX-10" but the battery tray design seems to be limited to using other batteries - so that one's out. I think the only real con I heard about the ECX Boost is the limited radio range since the radio isn't 2.4ghz.
Nickerz is offline Find More Posts by Nickerz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:26 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,093 Posts
For what I've seen the Boost is a great entry level 2WD, durable and pretty zippy for an RTR with brushed motor. You can always ditch the radio and replace it with a cheap Hobby King one like the GT-3 or GT-2 of you are on a budget. Both will have superior range to the RTR 27 MHz radio, and also have the option to set failsave, so the car stops in it's tracks when contact is lost.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:39 AM
Joined May 2004
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
For what I've seen the Boost is a great entry level 2WD, durable and pretty zippy for an RTR with brushed motor. You can always ditch the radio and replace it with a cheap Hobby King one like the GT-3 or GT-2 of you are on a budget. Both will have superior range to the RTR 27 MHz radio, and also have the option to set failsave, so the car stops in it's tracks when contact is lost.
True! I've been looking at the GT-3 also and have heard good things about it!

Thanks!
Nickerz is offline Find More Posts by Nickerz
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:46 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,093 Posts
You're welcome. I own the GT-2, got it because I could get it locally, so no 2 weeks shipping, and because I thought I didn't need extras like model memory. So far it's been working like a charm, good range, well beyond my eyesight-range of knowing where the car is heading, and it has a programmable failsave on the bundled receiver, which stock is set to halt the car if signal is permanently lost. That's always a nice feature.

And despite the low price the controls have a good feel. The pistol grip is not coated with rubber, but as long as you don't run endurance 24 hour races with it, I doubt that will be a problem. Besides, most RTR radios are the same, or worse, from ergonomics point of view.

BTW, where do you live? I don't know if LRP is also available in a place near you or over the internet. They have a very nice 2WD buggy, called the Twister. It's loosely based upon the Kyosho Ultima RB5, which is a competition grade car. As a result it turned out pretty nice, with good handling, decent tyres for an RTR, with enough grip, and nice shocks. And it comes with 2.4 GHz radio. It might stretch your budget a little though, but if you need to add a different radio to the Boost, the difference will be smaller.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member