Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:15 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatman View Post
Respectfully disagree.

3S, 4S ... 5S ... The KV and voltage can be matched with the right prop choice to give appropriate power. I'm not saying it makes no difference, obviously there are trade offs with any choice.

The 1000kv Turnigy SK3 3542 is very similar to the OP motor and rocks in these airframes on 3S.

You should try it!
I will try it cuz that's what I have coming in.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:56 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Mar 2013
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
I will try it cuz that's what I have coming in.
I personally liked the 14x7 more than the 13x6.5 ... But this was the 48" MXS wich is a tad heavier I think.

I liked the increased drag of the bigger prop too keep speed down and perhaps blow air across more control surface when stalled. Obviously I'm working on the slow 3d stuff. I found the 13x6.5 to have less punch out and more speed.

Just be careful with the throttle as the 14x7 will draw more than the rated 45 amps by a good bit near WOT.
Oatman is offline Find More Posts by Oatman
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:17 PM
United States, AZ, Cave Creek
Joined Aug 2011
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I do knife edge mixes on all my aerobatic & 3D planes.
Yea...how is this done? I know a lot of people do the knife edge mixing
CC268 is offline Find More Posts by CC268
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:20 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatman View Post
I personally liked the 14x7 more than the 13x6.5 ... But this was the 48" MXS wich is a tad heavier I think.

I liked the increased drag of the bigger prop too keep speed down and perhaps blow air across more control surface when stalled. Obviously I'm working on the slow 3d stuff. I found the 13x6.5 to have less punch out and more speed.

Just be careful with the throttle as the 14x7 will draw more than the rated 45 amps by a good bit near WOT.
Exactly why the 1000KV motor is too high, to keep the amp draw at a reasonable rate you'll need too small of a prop for proper 3D flying. If you push it much at all it's going to possibly overheat the motor, esc, and batteries. On 3s you might possibly get by on a 13x4 if your careful but would most likely need to go with a 12x6, and on 4s an 11x5.5 to keep from killing things from heat. At least where I live the summer temps are commonly in the 90+degree range and heat management is crucial. We are pretty close to sea level as well, now in the higher elevations and cooler environment a 1000KV motor would be the way to go.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:36 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Yea...how is this done? I know a lot of people do the knife edge mixing
Stick it in KE and watch what it does. If it pulls to gear or canopy, add a rudder -> elevator mix of 3 or 4 % positive or negative, same with roll, if it wants to roll out use a few percent mix in whichever direction helps it. Just watch which way it goes and mix it out. All my planes seem to fly better with those mixes on all the time.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:41 PM
United States, AZ, Cave Creek
Joined Aug 2011
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Stick it in KE and watch what it does. If it pulls to gear or canopy, add a rudder -> elevator mix of 3 or 4 % positive or negative, same with roll, if it wants to roll out use a few percent mix in whichever direction helps it. Just watch which way it goes and mix it out. All my planes seem to fly better with those mixes on all the time.
Cool man I will do that
CC268 is offline Find More Posts by CC268
Old Jul 27, 2014, 05:48 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Mar 2013
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Exactly why the 1000KV motor is too high, to keep the amp draw at a reasonable rate you'll need too small of a prop for proper 3D flying. If you push it much at all it's going to possibly overheat the motor, esc, and batteries. On 3s you might possibly get by on a 13x4 if your careful but would most likely need to go with a 12x6, and on 4s an 11x5.5 to keep from killing things from heat. At least where I live the summer temps are commonly in the 90+degree range and heat management is crucial. We are pretty close to sea level as well, now in the higher elevations and cooler environment a 1000KV motor would be the way to go.
I hear ya. Different strokes as they say. In S.E. England I always have a breeze and temps are always in a nice comfy zone all year. I just laugh when the locals moan about how 'blazing hot' it is on what is a spring day for most yanks. Rarely even low 80s nor close to high humidity. Wouldn't last two days of a real Hotlanta heat wave.
Oatman is offline Find More Posts by Oatman
Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
hmmm.
How about the Omega 130 gram?
That's what I'm running on mine, 3S with a 14x7 or 4S with a 13x4 works great. I'm running mine on 4S and love it.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy