HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:10 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
940 Posts
Discussion
HK Durafly Cessna 310 comments

Last year my wife gave me the Dynam Grand Cruiser (C***** 421) for our 50th anniversary; sorry to report that it looks great but had a couple fatal flaws. This year it was replaced by the smaller Durafly. Changed the trim to the USAF U3. !st two flights were at AMA Muncie field on the smooth blacktop.......the landing roll out is forever! Nice but something wasn't right. Next 2 flights were at my club grass field. No trouble with the small wheels. Something still not right.
At home in the shop, I noticed that the spinners were not pointing in the same direction. When I removed the props and cowlings, you could see the motors were loose on the mounts. The mounts are not made right. The motors are the type that have the shaft protruding out the rear slightly and need a clearance hole in the firewall/mount. There is none in this mount and the running motor wore it's own hole in the mount. That let the motor move backward and results in loose screws. I enlarged the clearance and remounted the motors. A noticeable increase in power! Good flying forecast for tommorrow and the thrust appears better than 1:1.
The plane has a space under the pilot for the recommended 4ch receiver, but I have the 9ch so the ailerons are independant as flaperons and differential. It is a tight fit and some foam trimming is required.
The stab is a little flimsy so I added strips of 3M Extreme tape to the wing and tail to stiffen the surfaces.
The main gear is a little loose at the mount so I used some of the silicon tubing on the wire at the mount and it is now a good fit. The props and motors are well balanced.
My battery of choice is made with A123 cells. However, I just discovered that this voltage is not compatable with the LVC on new ESCs. It is OK with a single motor but not twins. Standard lipo batterys work perfect. If I'd known this last summer, the Dynam would be the queen with flaps and retracts. Too many sudden power drops on TO and engine outs during landings were too much even for EPO foam.
Flaperons....I'm still working on how much and what direction the mix for elevator trim should be. 1st try and I know it won't take much. I am using a little flap for TO and more for landing.
Lastly, the lights all work and look sharp......close up....but can't be seen in daylight at normal flying distance.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Last edited by Jim Petro; Jul 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: lights note
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:06 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,484 Posts
So, the fatal flaw was trying to use A123 cells in the Dynam 310? That means there is no fatal flaw with the model itself...

I have around 40-50 flights on my Dynam 310, the one with retracts, with no issues at all. Everything is stock...servos, motors, ESCs, retracts, The only mod I made fairly early on was to add some 1x6mm carbon strip to the wings and stab to get rid of the wing and stab flex in turbulence and when pulling some G's.

I find it t be a GREAT flying model...does lovely smooth (non scale) aerobatics and lands on a dime. I never added the optional flaps....the model is so light and lands so slowly, there seemed no need to do so.

There are 3-4 at our club field and most of these were bought after they saw mine fly....

No fatal flaws with this model in my book.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:54 AM
Electric Flyer
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2003
430 Posts
Agreed. The Dynam Grand Cruiser has no flaws whatsoever. Mine has everything one could ask for included in the kit and the retracts are awesome. It's a great flyer and I also fly it with stock components.

Dick
rms59 is offline Find More Posts by rms59
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Oct 2006
294 Posts
This thread started out being about the Durafly model, but quickly became about the Dynam model. Does anyone have, and would they comment about the Durafly? There is already a thread dedicated to the Dynam, but I have been unable to find anything about the Durafly
arniebud is online now Find More Posts by arniebud
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:00 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
You will have a lot more luck in the foamie section, your not going to get many, if any here.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:44 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniebud View Post
This thread started out being about the Durafly model, but quickly became about the Dynam model. Does anyone have, and would they comment about the Durafly? There is already a thread dedicated to the Dynam, but I have been unable to find anything about the Durafly

That was because the OP listed the Dynam 310 as having fatal flaws that gets pretty universally good reviews...and because the flaw was not the fault of the model, but the fault of his setup.

The Durafly 310 feels like a jump on the bandwagon "me-too" model.

Thus, comparing the Durafly model to the Dynam model is inevitable.

In fact, when it was announced, I thought it was a clone of the Dynam 310, as they even copied the decal art... Turns out it is significantly smaller smaller than the Dynam model, 43" vs 50".

I think the reason there is not much on it here on RCG is that is is not nearly as popular as the Dynam model.

Given that the price of the Durafly 43" wingspan 310 without retracts is $109 plus shipping from HK ($115 plus shipping from the USA warehouse) and that the larger 50" Dynam 310 model is $139 with retracts and $99 without retracts from Nitroplanes, it is hard to make a good case for the Durafly model, value wise.

I have had pretty excellent luck with Dynam products and IMO, the quality is a little better than the Durafly models I have bought and those I have tested for other folks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Oct 2006
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
You will have a lot more luck in the foamie section, your not going to get many, if any here.
Actually, I have search both threads and find little to nothing, and wondered why. It appears that the only source for Durafly is HK, so maybe there aren't that many being flown? Or, maybe those who have one are happy with it?. That's what I am attempting to find out.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Oct 2006
294 Posts
Thomas. It appears you are very knowledgeable about the Dynam 310, maybe you could clarify something. The 2 sources I have found show a different ESC value. One says it is 25amp, the other 40 amp. I presume the 25amp. is the correct one?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:22 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniebud View Post
Thomas. It appears you are very knowledgeable about the Dynam 310, maybe you could clarify something. The 2 sources I have found show a different ESC value. One says it is 25amp, the other 40 amp. I presume the 25amp. is the correct one?
i actually think they are 30 amp. I am sitting at the airport in Tucson waiting for my flight home to DFW...will look when I get home and confirm.

The Dynam PBY has, I am 99% sure, the same power system as the Dynam 310 and those are 30 amp ESCs, for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:50 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,484 Posts
Finally had a chance to get in the garage and I can confirm that the Dynam 310 has 30 amp Dynam Detrum ESCs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:59 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,003 Posts
I have this plane for sale if anyone is interested. PM me for details. I have lots of spare parts as well.
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:19 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,003 Posts
Spare Parts

I have lots of spare parts including brand new wings, fuselage and other parts. PM me if you are interested. I need to sell to make room. I no longer have my 310.

Thanks
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member