HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:33 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Wow am I glad I took my motor out... I discovered the motor mount was somewhat loose, and one bolt was completely out!

I was having vibration issues messing with my FY31AP, at about 45% throttle the red blinking light would come on (indicating too much vibration), I was really thinking it was my motor bell but when I took it out to bench test I noticed the motor is perfectly balanced, so I shifted my attention to the prop and got it to go to full WOT with hardly any vibration.

This time I glued that mount in where it is NOT going to loosen up :P Now to wait for the glue to dry so I can test and see if the AP is satisfied .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:38 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
How do I remove the motor mount? Do I pour hot water all over it to melt the hot glue? I seriously need to trash the motor or at least cut off the prop adapter. The motor vibrates far far too much, it's crazy. Why do I always have such bad luck with the bloody awful chinese QC?!
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,184 Posts
The Sky Surfer is my first FPV platform that does not have landing gear or is a quadcopter. My first attempt to launch by hand with goggles up on my forehead ready to pull down resulted in a nose dive right into the dirt ejecting my camera pod 15 ft! I tried ROG and it worked, but I may not always be at a location where I can do that. Colorado is very harsh. Any tips on how to hand launch with goggles on?
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
How do I remove the motor mount? Do I pour hot water all over it to melt the hot glue? I seriously need to trash the motor or at least cut off the prop adapter. The motor vibrates far far too much, it's crazy. Why do I always have such bad luck with the bloody awful chinese QC?!
Hot water would help in getting it off, I just carefully pulled mine off today by hand because I thought mine was out of balance too (having issues with vibes and my FY31AP), but when I got the motor out and on the bench I found it was actually very well balanced, and I then worked on getting my prop as balanced as I could, and now there is hardly any vibration I can detect at all... waiting on the 'glue' to dry so I can fly it, probably not till tomorrow.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:54 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I'm sure my motor is fine, but the prop adapter at the end of the long shaft isn't mounted straight. You can see it move from side to side if you spin it around and if you spin up the motor the whole plane vibrates. It's pretty bad. And because they use some stupid 2.5mm shaft I have to ditch the whole thing since I only have 2 and 3mm collet adapters. So I have to settle for a 1240kv motor until I can replace it with something better.

I'll try hot water tomorrow and see if that works.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
I'm sure my motor is fine, but the prop adapter at the end of the long shaft isn't mounted straight. You can see it move from side to side if you spin it around and if you spin up the motor the whole plane vibrates. It's pretty bad. And because they use some stupid 2.5mm shaft I have to ditch the whole thing since I only have 2 and 3mm collet adapters. So I have to settle for a 1240kv motor until I can replace it with something better.

I'll try hot water tomorrow and see if that works.
Ahh yeah, that will mess it up :P I think a 6x4 is too small for 1450kv...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:45 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
Anyone can recommend a GoPro cockpit / hints to build it myself for the SkySurfer?
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:57 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
I used a hairdryer to loosen glue, works alright, easier then using hot water.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:32 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
Anyone can recommend a GoPro cockpit / hints to build it myself for the SkySurfer?
I bought a pan/ tilt pod (without the pan/tilt mounts) from ReadyMadeRC for around $23. So basically it's just the shelf. I'm going to put some photos of it tomorrow in my blog along with some mods I did to it. I would have made one myself but my scroll saw needs new blades.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I'm using a Microdan 2535kv outrunner 7x5 prop and 40A esc on first plane, Microdan 2800kv outrunner 6x4 prop 36ESC on second plane and Himax 3000kv inrunner 6x4 prop 36 A esc on the third plane. Microdan's motors are sweet!!!
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
I bought a pan/ tilt pod (without the pan/tilt mounts) from ReadyMadeRC for around $23. So basically it's just the shelf. I'm going to put some photos of it tomorrow in my blog along with some mods I did to it. I would have made one myself but my scroll saw needs new blades.
I wish I had enough channels for tilt! As it is now I have:

Throttle
Rudder
Elevator
Ailerons
Pan
Autopilot Switch x2
OSD Switch

That is 8 channels, all I have.

I have been thinking about Y'ing the OSD switch, I could then hook up an auxiliary control like a bomb drop or something (Well actually I want to do a bomb bay :P)... although now that I think about it, I could use the pan as an auxiliary too if I thought it out right :P

At either rate I think my bix is not going to get a tilt, just pan. Eventually I will upgrade to a bigger airframe and more channels .
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:15 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I wish I had enough channels for tilt! As it is now I have:

Throttle
Rudder
Elevator
Ailerons
Pan
Autopilot Switch x2
OSD Switch

That is 8 channels, all I have.

I have been thinking about Y'ing the OSD switch, I could then hook up an auxiliary control like a bomb drop or something (Well actually I want to do a bomb bay :P)... although now that I think about it, I could use the pan as an auxiliary too if I thought it out right :P

At either rate I think my bix is not going to get a tilt, just pan. Eventually I will upgrade to a bigger airframe and more channels .
Time to get yourself a 10 or maybe a 12 channel. LOL.

I have seen some of the very large planes flown using two transmitters in tandem. The main one was used to fly the other for specific control functions like landing gear control or payload release, etc.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:17 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
Honestly I have Pan/Tilt right now and I barely use it ... I actually fly without because it's a lot easier... if the headtracker gets confused you are in real trouble with it...

anyway the bixler canopy is now 43 bucks at ReadyMadeRC :-)
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Time to get yourself a 10 or maybe a 12 channel. LOL.

I have seen some of the very large planes flown using two transmitters in tandem. The main one was used to fly the other for specific control functions like landing gear control or payload release, etc.
Yeah I actually thought about that idea... There is a repeater system someone here on rcg is selling that accepts 12 channels input which could come from multiple rxs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:23 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
I have given up a little on pan/tilt, the novelty wore off a bit for me. Still good when doing slow, scenic flying, but I have started to get a bit more aggressive with the bixler
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc