HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:33 PM
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrios View Post
Those are test points under that window Frank. Some connect to the ADM1041A pins. I've included a pic, The others are probably for testing OVP, UVP and OTP. I'm trying to find a way to lift that OVP threshhold of 13.3v and get this supply to run at 13.8v - 14.2v. It can be done via software through the SMBus. I'm trying to change this setting through an external hardware mod.

I also noted that this supply has two separate +12v rails. The two +12v output connectors on the left side of the supply are not connected to the two +12v output connectors on the right. My guess is that when you were running this PSU in series, you were using only one +12v rail and causing certain parts off the PSU to run hotter than normal. Basically like trying to draw full power from half the PSU.
Any new info about this? I was planning on using a voltage divider on pins 9 and 10 of the adm chip I should be able to get an extra volt out of it this way. (The monitor pins will see 13 volts instead of 14). No Idea how this will affect the current.
hawkeyefile is offline Find More Posts by hawkeyefile
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:47 AM
Steven
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
I think the ADM1041A voltage regulation is double buffered against this sort of thing.
But give it a shot anyways. I hope your able to boost the voltage to beyond 14v.
xandrios is offline Find More Posts by xandrios
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:03 PM
Cleveland Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Joined Dec 2000
401 Posts
Load test of PS

see below
JIM CALDWELL A is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELL A
Last edited by JIM CALDWELL A; Jun 26, 2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: See post below
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:06 PM
Cleveland Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Joined Dec 2000
401 Posts
Load Testing PS

John, your directions worked great. here are the tests, what do you think???

Here are his directions for load testing.

Firstly connect your Eagletree at the input to the globe load.

1 Connect your Eagletree Input to a freshly charged car battery.
2 Wait 10 secs or so. The voltage will probably be about 11.5 V or so at that load.
3 Connect the Power supply output across the input to the Eagletree so it is in parallel with the battery but with the PS switched OFF
4 Turn on the Power Supply. It should fire up fine since there is little load on it; the battery is supplying most of the current. The voltage will rise to the PS voltage (~12V)
5 Disconnect the battery. The current in the PS will jump to maximum (and you may get a bit of a spark from where the battery lead disconnects but the PS should not shut down as the globes are at their normal hot resistance.

I used 20- 12v 50 watt car brake light bulbs in Parallel, soldered to brass rods
JIM CALDWELL A is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELL A
Old Jun 26, 2011, 05:57 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,137 Posts
To clarify, these instructions were how to use a large globe load for testing but avoid the problem of the PS shutting down because of the initial low cold resistance of the globes. Jim pre-heated the globe bank using a 12V car battery then connected the PS and disconnected the battery - worked a treat.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM CALDWELL A View Post
Here are his directions for load testing.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:23 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,137 Posts
The new breed of PC supplies

While editing the sticky thread, I was inspired to have a look at what was now available in PC supplies since someone had posted a link to a "build" thread for one.

The current generation of high power supplies aimed at gamers with their multiple high power graphics boards are interesting.

Here's a typical quote from a review (my emphasis).

Antec TP-750 (with its street price of around $120) is among the more affordable products in this roundup.

Despite the low price, you get an 80 PLUS Bronze certification and modular cables with a generous number of connectors. In addition to the two CPU and four PCIe connectors, there are nine SATA and Molex connectors. The length of the round cables is sufficient for most people, but if the diverse range of different plugs is tempting you to put the PSU in a full-sized tower, you might run into some problems.

The four +12 V rails can handle 25 A each.

These supplies normally have a big quiet fan and come in a nice box.

Anyone want to post their experiences of using one for a charger PS here is welcome.

Do they work fine with the 12V rails commoned for output?
Which ones need a load to start up (if any)?
Anyone run two in series for 24V?

John
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:43 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,554 Posts
About 3 years ago I purchased an Antec Truepower 2.0 rated 480 watts. It has two 12V rails rated 18 amps. each. At that time no one could advise me if the two rails could be paralleled or not but I took the chance and gave it a go.

I connected these rails in parallel and load tested it up to 33 amps. and it held 11.94 volts and this was with no load on the 5V rail.. It has a 4-1/4" dia. fan which is temperature controlled variable speed and is extremely quite even under full load. At 200 watts or so load it can not even be heard.

Fact is I forgot and left it powered up overnight several times due to its' silence.

Dimensions are 5-1/2 ' X 5-7/8" and 3-3/4" high.

One of the use to be regulars here placed several pairs of misc personal computer power supplies in series for 24V, 15.3 , 17 V etc. Only thing he did was keep the case insulated from each other and not use a groud on one of the power leads , sound familiar?

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:56 PM
Joined Dec 2009
111 Posts
I have a Dell 7000236-000 600 watt power supply (12v @46A) that was from a Power Edge 6600 server and have a few questions. From reading the posts here I was finally able to get it to turn on by shorting two of the pins to ground (see pic). I only get 11.486 volts, but it will power my charger and it did charge a battery. In reading several of the posts it seems that there are several other Dell power supplies (simular to what I have) that have other features that would be nice to have if this power supply has them. I have read that some have a voltage adjust and something to slow the fans down. From the pictures shown I think I have figured out what all the big plugs are for and there voltages, but all seem to be low. Any help would be great, Thanks
jstern429 is offline Find More Posts by jstern429
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:57 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Fact is I forgot and left it powered up overnight several times due to its' silence.
That's the bit that sounded attractive to those of us with HP leafblowers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
One of the use to be regulars here placed several pairs of misc personal computer power supplies in series for 24V, 15.3 , 17 V etc. Only thing he did was keep the case insulated from each other and not use a groud on one of the power leads , sound familiar?
Charles
I've heard about that somewhere.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:57 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
That's the bit that sounded attractive to those of us with HP leafblowers!
This is one of the reasons why I like my IBM 235's and HP DL580's so much. I put some 1 watt 12 ohm resistors in series with the fans in my DL580's to quiet them further and they're almost dead silent now, yet run very cool. A solid 12V / 55A for $8 and they're better built than any sub-$300 PC supply that I have ever seen.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2011, 03:47 AM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
Today's gamer PC power supplies are more in the 1200w range. I have a video card a couple years old that requires two 35a 12v power connections. Looking @ how the video card was wired, & talking to the manufacturer it was clear that most all of these PC power supplies will handle connecting their 12v rails in parallel. I would have to agree that these would make an ideal charger supply from a size / weight perspective. Not sure about making them perform @ 15-24v though.
Oreo is offline Find More Posts by Oreo
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:25 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,554 Posts
No doubt surplus server power supplioes are much cheaper than new quality pc power suppliesbuild quality difference I will leave to the experts but Antecs are not garbage by a long shot. and as one who has numerious of both I also use a pair of 235s for 99% of my at home needs.

My data was an attempt to answer,

Quote:
Anyone want to post their experiences of using one for a charger PS here is welcome.

Do they work fine with the 12V rails commoned for output?
Which ones need a load to start up (if any)?
Anyone run two in series for 24V?

John
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:53 AM
Steven
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined May 2010
504 Posts
Hey jstern429,
Regarding your Poweredge 6600 PSU.

Try reading post #599 in this thread. It should help you find the voltage control pin.
Try the same method using ground instead of +V to find the fan control pin(if it has one).
xandrios is offline Find More Posts by xandrios
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:22 AM
Joined Dec 2009
111 Posts
Thanks, xandrios

I will give it a shot.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:12 PM
Joined Dec 2009
111 Posts
Ok Attached is the info I found out using the information in post #599. With a lead attached to the positive terminal and a 1K resistor in line (test 1) I found the pins that changed the voltage. The 11.879v & 11.530v will not go any higher than 11.909v with even down to a 100 ohm resistor, but the 11.594v @ D1 will go to 12.4v with a 122 ohm resistor (any lower and the PS faults). So I am guessing that 12.4v is the best it can do unless I am doing something else wrong. In test 2 with the lead on ground and a 1k resistor in line I get a slight rise in voltage on D6 (+11.651) and a fault on C6, but on A5 I get +11.705 volts and the fan speeds up. On test 3 is just voltmeter readings on all the pins, just incase it helps . It looks like a 122 ohm resistor on the D1 to +12 volts is the ticket to up the output voltage, but the resistors seem to get hot (I am using a 100 ohm & a 22 ohm resistor in series and the 100 ohm gets the hottest). Any thoughts? Do I have the voltage control figured out? thanks, Jeff