New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2015, 02:25 AM
Find More Posts by SBS_Pilot
Sweden, Stockholm County, Sollentuna
Joined Aug 2010
231 Posts
Discussion
Rudder deflections on 6-servo wing?

I've got myself an e-Klapperstorch2 from Modellbau Claus Thiele. She is a 320cm, 1400g, built-up electrical glider and I'm intending to have her as my main F5J-weapon this and next year. So far I've only made a few test-flight with it which seems very promising (but keep in mind I'm racing for the top positions (if you turn the score-list upside down )).

So far she seems to be very easy to control in the air, stable but eager, indicates lift so good even I can see it, easy to spot-land, excellent quality of the kit, and very fast to assemble. In short, I'm very happy I bought it. A build thread (in Swedish, but Google Translate does a decent job with it) is available here: http://www.svensktmodellflyg.se/foru...4&replypage=99

She is allready easier to fly than my Graphite-2e, so these questions might be unnecessary, but what would you suggest for guidelines for setting up a six-servo-wing for competition flying?

Let us, for the sake of discussion, name the rudders A, B, C (for outer aileron, inner aileron, flap).
  1. Should B have as much aileron-deflection as A, or should the deflection be between A and C?
  2. Should A, B, and C all have equal downward deflection for thermal-mode?
  3. Should A, B, and C all have equal upward deflection for speed-mode?
  4. For breaking, is it better to raise A and B equally to say 80%, or is it better to raise B maximum and A moderately to maintain roll control?

I guess the answer to most of these questions have to be determined by trial and error, but I appreciate your inputs for a good starting point.
SBS_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by SBS_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2015, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
Joined Mar 2015
65 Posts
I wish I had a 6 surface model to help you After looking at the wing I understand why they have 6 servos, looks like a nice model.

My only suggestion is for crow I would max C down and raise B enough so I didn't have a huge pitch change. The advantage here is you probably don't need to change A so I think you would have decent roll authority and it probably slows down like it had a parachute.
Bmwjoon is online now Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
Old May 24, 2015, 06:06 PM
G_T
Find More Posts by G_T
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
6,352 Posts
When one is trying to roll the plane, ideally one shapes the wing towards a propeller profile. Look at the center positions of each control surface. At the fuselage, which is the center of the wing, zero deflection. At the center of the outermost aileron, max deflection. Draw an imaginary line (get rid of wing polyhedral if present) and line up the centers of the mid flaperon and inner flaperon with the outer flaperon center and the center of the wing. Now one has essentially twisted the wing up like a propeller.

One uses the centers as that is sort of an average location along the control surface.

Without doing the wing analysis, this is a good starting point. Good enough not to bother trying to do better.

The question on camber setting across the wing is a more interesting one. But, in a practical sense, for most good wing designs just use equal camber across the whole span. The wing designer should have already taken turn behavior and straight line behavior with variations of camber into account so you don't have to. So unless the manufacturer indicates to do something different, I wouldn't. You'll just end up wasting tuning time better spent practicing flying.

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old May 26, 2015, 01:34 AM
Find More Posts by SBS_Pilot
Sweden, Stockholm County, Sollentuna
Joined Aug 2010
231 Posts
Thank you for your answers, I will try them out.
SBS_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by SBS_Pilot
RCG Plus Member