Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by simiban
France, Alsace, Erstein
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
New Product
[Flying-copter] NEW Brushless Gimbal SONY CX 7xx

Hello,

In this Brushless time we had to buil our owne gimball.
In fact still the MUSE arrived on the market, we was testing arround with some Stepper motors.
Expensive, but usefull for very heavy camera only ! That's only our point of view !

Anycase, since Alexmoss, Martinez in Open source and others did such a great work with brushless rewinded, we change our direction with an almost similar basis as we planed for some stepper.
Luckaly we planed since the very begin our developpement to build a Gimball for the very successfull SONY CX7xx series.
Brushless is a big step forward for our stabilisation needs, but it doesn't meen we have to set everything on it !
We prefered to focused our developement on a mecanical long life approache.
We used SKF Needle roller bearings on both axis to prevent any damage on the Brushless.
We have optimised the barycentre on both axis for the SONY CX760 but we still let a adjust possibility from 30 mm on both axis.
All is made in Aluminium and Laser cutted.

Enougth description, a 3D vue of it.
Tomorow it will be cut so some IRL pictures soon !!!

On every axis the motor schafft is holded in a 8mm piece (in red on picture) and this Red piece is in a Needle roller bearing in Grey on picture

Montage files :
http://www.flying-copter.com/images/...ll-details.pdf

http://www.flying-copter.com/images/...lt-details.pdf
simiban is online now Find More Posts by simiban
Last edited by simiban; Sep 02, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by kresi
Joined Jan 2010
13 Posts
Looks very good. Keep us updatet. Do you keep it still open source or will this be for purchase only?

Regards,
Kresi
kresi is offline Find More Posts by kresi
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:17 AM
France, Alsace, Erstein
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
I didn't ask myself... But it have to be laser cutted and there is no assembly screew. All is bent with hydrolic press to have as less vibration point as possible...

So if you have the tools to DIY, you can PM me, we will talk about it
But if you have not the tools, even with the CAD file I do not think you could build it on your own.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 08:07 PM
France, Alsace, Erstein
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Some more view until the reel pictures :

Old Apr 09, 2013, 09:56 AM
France, Alsace, Erstein
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Hi all,

I Finaly gets some small missing parts I missed.
Everything is there now and i will begin the assembly.
This is the 2 axis version, i wait untill the controler board will support 3 axis control to publish pictures from my 3 axis version.
Developped for the SONY CX740/760 also compatible with SONY NEX5 and maybe GH2, more test have to be done for the GH2

Description :
2 Needle bearings on Tilt and Roll
1 Ball bearing on Tilt
1 Bronze cable pass on Tilt
MPU and Controler support over the cam
Weight complete : 614 gramms

On market : 10 Mai 2013
No pre-order, just a reservation option (without money transfer) for the first batch...

PDF File
http://www.flying-copter.com/images/...ll-details.pdf

http://www.flying-copter.com/images/...lt-details.pdf
Last edited by simiban; Sep 02, 2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added PDF file to easy assembly for 4 to 8 screews, depend on option chosen
Old Apr 09, 2013, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by pal72
Joined Jun 2011
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simiban View Post
Hi all,

I Finaly gets some small missing parts I missed.
Everything is there now and i will begin the assembly.
This is the 2 axis version, i wait untill the controler board will support 3 axis control to publish more pictures
Developped for the SONY CX740/760 also compatible with SONY NEX5 and maybe GH2, more test have to be done for the GH2

Description :
2 Needle bearings on Tilt and Roll
1 Ball bearing on Tilt
1 Bronze cable pass on Tilt
MPU and Controler support over the cam
Weight complete : 614 gramms

On market : 10 Mai 2013
No pre-order, just a reservation option (without money transfer) for the first batch...
Very nice!!!

When you start on the 3.axis, could you implement the option for integrated landing legs? So they rotate with the gimbal.
And maby place the main board on the base, to simplify the cabling. thinking of the power source and the remote unit.
I would love to have a solution where you can have a camera operator controlling the 3axis gimbal with live view and zoom from the separate remote controller.
"cinestar gimbal style..."
pal72 is offline Find More Posts by pal72
Old Apr 09, 2013, 10:21 AM
France, Alsace, Erstein
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Thx for encouragement

You will see soon, the three axis version include a very small Tripod landing gear who turns arround with the rest. The legs are 120 wide to not appear on the pictures or movies
And this landing gear will be very light also. Maybe not the best looking arround the world, but fully functional and light is my goal
Old Apr 09, 2013, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by vinnygogo
Joined May 2010
260 Posts
Looking great. I agree with the option for controllerboard at the base. That is the best for easy cable ing
vinnygogo is online now Find More Posts by vinnygogo
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by NahuelRuiz
Tercerojo
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Very nice! congratulate you really like your design and ask if you have your .cad file gimbal brushless for nex5 design, I use it for my hexa. Thanks!
NahuelRuiz is offline Find More Posts by NahuelRuiz
Old Apr 10, 2013, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by Makiedog
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2001
134 Posts
I suspect these bent plates will not be very rigid, you may see lot's of flexing and bounces.
Makiedog is online now Find More Posts by Makiedog
Old Apr 10, 2013, 05:53 PM
France, Alsace, Erstein
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Some videos will help dissipate this suspition
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by rScottyK
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
Very clean design. Nice work.
rScottyK is offline Find More Posts by rScottyK
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by richardt1808
Richard in Bangkok
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Jul 2012
252 Posts
Nice design here. I like the way you have thought about the mounting the controller board in this place. I'm interested to purchase, so please let me know when you are ready to start ordering.

Many thanks,
Richard
richardt1808 is offline Find More Posts by richardt1808
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:25 AM
Find More Posts by diakatche
Joined Jul 2009
484 Posts
Interesting... everyone seems to be coming out with brushless gimbal designs. Thank that to solidworks. Looks like I'll need to design a new gimbal... when I get some time.

Ok, comments on this one:
1. the rotate arm and camera mounting look pretty good but are a bit long. Need to take care to make sure everything is balanced as it mounts on the rig... in all 3 axis.
2. The rotate arm mounting is never going to work. ALL of the loads are torsional and on the motors bearings which are not designed for this type of load. There are several easy ways to fix this.
3. Looks strong enough if the rotate arm is shortened by half.
4. this looks to be a one camera, one lens design. Did you intend it that way?

Just IMO.
diakatche is offline Find More Posts by diakatche
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:30 AM
France, Alsace, Erstein
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diakatche View Post
Interesting... everyone seems to be coming out with brushless gimbal designs. Thank that to solidworks. Looks like I'll need to design a new gimbal... when I get some time.

Ok, comments on this one:
1. the rotate arm and camera mounting look pretty good but are a bit long. Need to take care to make sure everything is balanced as it mounts on the rig... in all 3 axis.
2. The rotate arm mounting is never going to work. ALL of the loads are torsional and on the motors bearings which are not designed for this type of load. There are several easy ways to fix this.
3. Looks strong enough if the rotate arm is shortened by half.
4. this looks to be a one camera, one lens design. Did you intend it that way?

Just IMO.
1.I don not understand what is to long in your point of view, but nothing is much longer than strictly necessary to let a CX 740/760 rotate
2. I'm still not sure what you are talking about, but no motor bearing have to work with any load at all. If you look precisely, every motor shaft is in a 8 mm thick piece of Aluminium, and this peace of aluminium rotate in a 8 mm long SKF needle bearing. To prevent any damage on the motor bearings
3. No piece can be shortened from 15 mm, so shortened by half will reduce dramatically the compensation possibilities.
4.Yes it is a one lens design. Optimized for the CX760/CX740. So this particular lens fit perfectly and is perfectly balanced. I still let a possibilities of adjusting every axes on 30 mm course to compensate the cable weight witch differ from one user to the other.

And sorry, Solidworks weren't use for the 3D conception, we used CATIA, it's more complete and allow to simulate every torsion and forces
Sadly, even with CATIA there are some issue...We build it way to strong from everywhere...We used 6 mm aluminium, 5 mm and also 4 mm. And once it was bended and assembled, I had a real peace of iron in my hands
The guy who did the laser cutting told me there a lot of weight to spare by using other bending tools, and the final product will probably be lighter than this prototype