SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2003, 11:36 PM
To be a great Astro Boy
Brodhead,WI,USA
Joined Jan 2001
917 Posts
What are the best motors for 3s LiPo pack?

I recently have been experimenting with 3s LiPo packs and have had great luck with a couple of planes using 280 motors. I just decreased prop size or pitch to keep amp draw in the same range as with the 8 cell 720 NiMh packs. So far so good. Very good power increase and the motors seem happy (so far).

Lighter, Much more power, More duration... It's a miracle.

I plan on using these higher voltage packs with an Astro Flight 010 and a DC 1717. Is it safe?

Any other motor suggestions? Will I burn up my motors?

If anyone out there knows the people at GWS, please ask them to make a series of higher volt motors for their IPS.

Tim
edoc is offline Find More Posts by edoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2003, 05:25 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
edoc, see

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...nd+Kokams+data

Unfortunately, even though the data there is only a few days old, it's buried hundreds of pages down in the overcrowded Parkflyer forum, where it never belonged in the first place.

- Jube
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Last edited by RD Blakeslee; Jan 18, 2003 at 05:46 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 12:24 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2001
141 Posts
The Astro 010 rocks on 3-Lipos! It's a low Kv motor that need higher voltage to really perform. Prior to LiPo batteries, higher voltage meant too much weight for the class of plane this little motor is best for.

I tried running my DC1717 on 3 Kokams and it didn't last very long. I suspect I fried the brushes. Would like to hear if anyone else has done this successfully as my motor may have been near end its life anyway. Too bad as it really preformed nicely that way.

--Colin--
cbosch_us is offline Find More Posts by cbosch_us
Old Jan 18, 2003, 05:04 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
Several folks are reporting great results on IPS drives and 3x560 lipolys. These are in Mini IFO's, where full power is rarely used. The DC1717 will be pushed hard by that voltage, but the DC1524 seems to do fine on 3xlipolys, according to reports and charts by Westeck.
Marcus
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Jan 19, 2003, 06:19 AM
To be a great Astro Boy
Brodhead,WI,USA
Joined Jan 2001
917 Posts
"I tried running my DC1717 on 3 Kokams and it didn't last very long. I suspect I fried the brushes"

cbosch,
Were you using a high frequency speed control? I have heard of others doing well with a DC1717 and 3 LiPos.

Sounds like my AF 010 will be great. Are the rest of you using 3 LiPos on the GWS LPS ? MTM Humming bird motor sounds perfect. As does the new RZ-300 but then you are pushing the price way up.

Any other ideas out there?

Tim
Old Jan 19, 2003, 08:15 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cbosch_us
I tried running my DC1717 on 3 Kokams and it didn't last very long.
What kind of amps were you drawing??.
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Jan 19, 2003, 07:50 PM
To be a great Astro Boy
Brodhead,WI,USA
Joined Jan 2001
917 Posts
I had read on one of these threads that the DC1717 worked well with 3 Lipos. But when I heard about cbosch_us's burnt motor, I e-mailed Todd Long:

The DC1717 can not take the voltage of 3s LiPo. It must also have a high frequency ESC.

Change of plans. How do the gws IPS hold up with the increased voltage?

Tim
Old Jan 19, 2003, 09:36 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
"Change of plans. How do the gws IPS hold up with the increased voltage?

Tim"

I'm running 3 qualcoms on a ips C with 10x8 for a couple of hours now, should be 10 hours but the weather just has'nt cooperated.

So far, so good despite LOTS of wide open running. Power is excellent BTW, draws 2.3 amps static.

Dean in Milwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Jan 27, 2003, 08:15 AM
North Highland,ca
Joined Dec 2002
551 Posts
Li-poly

Quote:
Originally posted by Arizona Chuck
What kind of amps were you drawing??.
Any battery has internal restance so this X the voltage is the watts of heat that might cause early shut down of the battery.
I have ran Li-Ions over 2 years the are very crital to heat I even
put small fined with heatsink goop inbetween the Lipo's I do pull
10c from them. But the 1040 in parell make a very lite power pack. CU john
jmbig is offline Find More Posts by jmbig
Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:21 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2001
141 Posts
edoc: No I was not using a high frequency speed control. However, I was running at full throttle when the motor started to degrade. At full power, the frequency of the controller doesn't matter since the controller is not pulsing power to the motor.

As mentioned, the motor has been well used and never with a high frequency controller. So, I suspect the brushes in the motor were marginal. Todd Long advised that when most operation was full throttle, the high frequency controller was not necessary. Most flying with this motor has been full power. However, you must land, so some low frequency PWM has been applied to the motor at times.

Arizona Chuck: Don't remember exacly, the the current draw was only around 1 amp.

I knew before trying that the voltage was in the "red" zone per charts listed by Todd Long. I suspected the motor may not last, but had to try it anyway

There has been much said about the short life of IPS power systems when running on 7-8 cells. I suspect using 3-LiPoly's will bring them down much sooner.

--Colin--
cbosch_us is offline Find More Posts by cbosch_us
Old Jan 28, 2003, 09:40 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
The DC1717 is able to handle 3 LiPolys if (1) you don't fly at full throttle all the time, (2) you use a high frequency ESC, and (3) prop for a current of around 1.5A max.

The DC1524 seems to be a lot better at handling 3 LiPolys though.

Jun Nolasco
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco