HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:54 AM
Sanford, FL
Joined Sep 2003
308 Posts
Soldering Deans

Does anyone have any suggestions for soldering an GWS ESC to a deans connector ?

I still need to look at http://awilletts.ezonemag.com/deansultra.mpg but wondered if anyone had any more advice, tips etc ?

Digsy
digsy is offline Find More Posts by digsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2004, 10:12 AM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Andy's film details all the steps on how to do it right.

I use one of those $9.95 Radio Shack hobby holders with alligator clips to hold the wire and the deans.
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:48 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
Yeah, the plastic piece gets too hot to hold - i use needlenose vice grips.
Be sure you put the heat shrink tube on BEFORE you solder and hold it back away from the joint with some tape. Dont try to slip it over until its cooled off, otherwise it'll grip up quickly before you get it all the way over the joint.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Oct 18, 2004, 05:12 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,786 Posts
I have started connecting a blank deans to the one I am soldering to keep from distoring the alignment. Probably just me, but I have messed up some.

LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:28 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
LcJ, no...not just you. I messed a couple up last time I did a Deans marathon soldering event! I think your suggestion of using another connector is a good one.
I also scrub down the metal tab surface with sandpaper before I hit it with the solder.
Yes, that radio shack helping hands thing is great...just got mine last week. What a difference!!! I had to order it directly from RS online since no shack within 1,000 miles seemed to carry it?? Arrived in 2 days!
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:35 PM
Woah
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
336 Posts
I'm expecting a bunch of Deans Ultra connectors in a couple of days. Could anyone tell me what the standard way to connect them up is? I gather the male plugs go on the ESC and the female on the batteries, but which way do the positive and negative terminals go? (I know it isn't important as long as I'm consistant, but it would still help if I've got the same setup as everyone else).

Thanks,
Marty
bugeater is offline Find More Posts by bugeater
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:47 PM
ShOP loCAL FaRMers
Caffe-nation
Joined Jan 2004
650 Posts
The video was a big help. I also use the aligator clip helping hands device and radio shack 40 w iron.

bugeater...follow the directions on the deans package and your right consistent is good!!

PS....I melted plenty of plugs before becoming proficient!
Puget Sound Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Puget Sound Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:49 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,954 Posts
Recently I have had lots of success soldering Deans Ultra Plugs. In the past it's been hit and miss, usually resulting in hard to disconnect or sofened plastic. here's my techniuque.

**Clean iron with a file >each< time before approaching item to solder.
Apply a little solder to iron first to ease heat transfer
Attach mating plug
Tin plug with a small amount of solder (should only take 2 seconds)
tin wire that attaches to plug, use lots of solder here
flaten tinned wire with smooth jaw pliers (makes for a compact joint on plug), I even trim that flatten wire a little on the sides (not a good practice but give very compact joints)
Slip heat shrink onto wire
**Lay wire onto plug, heat wire with iron >>not the plug<<
Are you fileing and retinning iron each time you solder? Try it.
**Do not linger while soldering you should only be "on it" for 3 seconds,... tinning requires less time

Works for me. Deans plugs are now easy for me to solder, and easy to pull apart.

Fred G.
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Oct 18, 2004 at 11:53 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 01:57 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater
I'm expecting a bunch of Deans Ultra connectors in a couple of days. Could anyone tell me what the standard way to connect them up is? I gather the male plugs go on the ESC and the female on the batteries, but which way do the positive and negative terminals go? (I know it isn't important as long as I'm consistant, but it would still help if I've got the same setup as everyone else).

Thanks,
Marty
The connectors are marked. Red wire is positive, black negative.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:04 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
And the Female plug is always attached the battery. If you did the male to the battery, youd have lotsa short-circuit accidents , like when you drop a battery pack in your pocket along with a set of car keys...

On the speedo, its Male on the Input and female on the output so you can never accidentally attach the battery to the output wires.

Dont forget the male on the charger! or at least make a dongle adapter plug.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:12 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,786 Posts
And the best part is there is a diagram on each package. Once you've done the first one correctly, you have a pattern for the rest. You can also solder other female adapter onto a dean's male and you can connect different esc to a standard deans battery pack. I also have an Aztec lipo charger and it came with a GWS plug. Since the charge current is so low I just made an adapter to go frow gws to deans so the charger could work with different packs. May never have one, but you never know.

LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Oct 19, 2004, 06:59 AM
Sanford, FL
Joined Sep 2003
308 Posts
Well I tinned my wires OK

But I am having real trouble tinning the deans plug. The solder doesnt seem to want to stick - I tried roughing the plug metal using sand paper which let me get one metal tab done.

The soolder seems to barely stay molten even after keeping the iron on it for a few seconds.

I am using a small iron tip - would a larger one help ?
digsy is offline Find More Posts by digsy
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:02 AM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Here is a picture and some tips using the Radio Shack holder/deans (post 22)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8&page=2&pp=15

I just bought a Radio Shack instant heat 100 watt iron ($12.99!). It gets the solder on the joint quick without incenerating the work.
Last edited by sargentw; Oct 19, 2004 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Syntax
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:14 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,514 Posts
digsy, it's not so much the tip size as the power of the iron. As sargentw and others have said, a more powerful gun will get the job done quicker and, because of the shorter duration, will reduce the risk of melting the plastic body.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:31 AM
"SARGE"
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
Digsy,

Here is the Radio Shack 100 watt Gun. It's a far cry from the monster weller gun my dad had 40 years ago that was good for burning holes in 2x4's. It's small compact and easy to handle.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1&goto=newpost

When I first started soldering Deans I was really scratching my head and burning the fingers. There is plenty of good info here to get you started right.

Tad