HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2003, 05:32 PM
Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,509 Posts
Here regular pic less than $4, erasable version $40, by comparison, I call that expensive.
JW only available in DIP.
UV LED wrong spectrum I believe.

Dave
david_dewit is offline Find More Posts by david_dewit
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2003, 05:39 PM
Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,509 Posts
UV light

Germicidal and EPROM Erasing Lamps
Using Alternate UV Sources to Erase EPROMS
Some interesting reading.

Dave
david_dewit is offline Find More Posts by david_dewit
Last edited by david_dewit; Oct 29, 2003 at 06:01 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 06:14 PM
Japan
Joined Dec 2002
327 Posts
When it is confused, there is no excuse. If with PIC12C509A which is called the one time generally, IR RX program size the program rewrite of minimum of 2 times is possible.

Koichi
Koichi Tanaka is offline Find More Posts by Koichi Tanaka
Old Oct 29, 2003, 08:08 PM
Bangalore Hindustan, India
Joined Apr 2003
593 Posts
how do u burn twice onto a 12c509A if thats possible i have a couple that i burnt up
Prashanth
Prashanth is offline Find More Posts by Prashanth
Old Oct 29, 2003, 08:38 PM
Japan
Joined Dec 2002
327 Posts
When you explain simply, the new program is written to rear of the program area which was already written.
Koichi Tanaka is offline Find More Posts by Koichi Tanaka
Old Oct 30, 2003, 02:54 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,876 Posts
Another adapter

Hi guys

Here is my version of a DIY adapter for burning PICs. I got the idea from Andy Birketts homepage. I always have computer junk lying around and I found a chip socket on a pcb. I broke it apart and glued the needed parts onto a piece of balsa. It was a good lesson in "steady hand" soldering to attach the wires . PIC goes in upside down and will be held in place with a custom clamp (read: clothes peg). And the picture...
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Oct 30, 2003, 03:11 PM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Michael very nice.

That's almost the same way I done mine. And I got the idea from Andy's page also.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...37#post1424837
except I mashed down the metal in the sockets so I could put the PIC on right side up. I was careful not to mash the spring out though. I see you have overcome the spacing problem by putting a peice of wood between the sockets. I kept fidling with mine as epoxy got hard till it was right then left it to dry. Now I have to make a wider one for SM size. I'm going to try the flat package adpter with screws also.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Oct 30, 2003, 03:35 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,876 Posts
Well I guess I just reinvented the wheel then

BTW, I got lazy and ordered a PIC burner instead of making one myself. I was concerned about the output voltage of my laptop not being sufficient to work with the JDM programmer, so I got one with external power supply. http://www.asamicros.com/asaprog.html

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Oct 30, 2003, 08:50 PM
United States, PA, Canonsburg
Joined Sep 2001
185 Posts
You can externallly power a JDM programmer simply by appying a voltage to C2. Two 9V batteries with a series resistor probably around 200ohms or so should do.
Skysailor is offline Find More Posts by Skysailor
Old Oct 30, 2003, 10:11 PM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
I think you improved the wheel there Michael.
Your laptop might accidentaly have enough power to power it.
Have you tried it out yet? Or measured the voltage on your serial port? Mine was not up to specs when doing the Data out tests but still programs the PICS. I'll measure it again to make sure.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Oct 31, 2003, 02:34 PM
Joined Sep 2001
185 Posts
Is it easy to reset the OSCCAL value on erasable chips. First I have to read the chip right from the factory to find out what the OSCCAL is set to, right? And then when I go to reprogram, what do I do? Can I write a program with just the OSCCAL and burn it to the erased chip so that it is back to the way it came from the factory. Or do I have to include this code at the beginning of every Program there after. I can order 8 or 9 OTP chip for the price of one JW, but I would like to have the ability to reprogram this chip for experimenting with code.
Old Nov 01, 2003, 07:36 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but on Koichi's website, on his first page about the PIC12F629 it says "PIC12F629 enrollment NO.1 (PIC12C509A compatible mode)"

Don't know if the 12F629 can use the 12C509A code or not, should be able to. Does anyone know for sure?

Would be great. The 12F629 is only 13 cents higher than the OTP 12C509A (here in the US at least, both SOIC).
Dindea is offline Find More Posts by Dindea
Old Nov 01, 2003, 08:39 AM
Joined Sep 2001
185 Posts
I think that the difference is that the 12F629 does not have an internal oscilator and the 12C509 does. So not only is the 12F629 a little more expensive but you will also have to buy a crystal and some more capacitors to make an external osc. out of.
Old Nov 01, 2003, 09:07 AM
North East England UK
Joined Jan 2003
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Skysailor
Is it easy to reset the OSCCAL value on erasable chips. First I have to read the chip right from the factory to find out what the OSCCAL is set to, right

YES........You must read the OSCAL value before you do anything....!!!Make a note of it and then when you come to program your JW pic, you re-isnsert the value at the same location you found it.....

If you wanna play around, get a 16F84 and port the code to that... as its a flash chip you can play round with the code until you'er happy with it then burn your 508/9's saves a lot of heartache and money......
Chippie is offline Find More Posts by Chippie
Old Nov 01, 2003, 10:14 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
OIC

Yes, and having to use the external resonator (or crystal and caps) you loose two I/O ports, or one whole actuator.

Cool.

Thanks.
Dindea is offline Find More Posts by Dindea