HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2014, 12:03 PM
Joined May 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
Looking to craft my own... Can I use existing parts?

Hello everybody!

I have a question about a (I think this is the correct term) Yoke I have from a Quad that I need to replace the battery for.

Before you get worried, no, I am not asking questions about the Quad, I just want to re-use the controller.

It has a frequency printed on the back of 27.something MHz, Is it possible to find a receiver to attach to a Foamy that would control the prop/elevons etc. or would i need to get a new controller?

My assumption would be as long as the receiver on the craft was on the same frequency I should be fine. and yes, I know i could google this, but wanted to know from experienced jocks such as yourselves.
jabackes is offline Find More Posts by jabackes
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2014, 02:48 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabackes View Post
Hello everybody!

I have a question about a (I think this is the correct term) Yoke I have from a Quad that I need to replace the battery for.

Before you get worried, no, I am not asking questions about the Quad, I just want to re-use the controller.

It has a frequency printed on the back of 27.something MHz, Is it possible to find a receiver to attach to a Foamy that would control the prop/elevons etc. or would i need to get a new controller?

My assumption would be as long as the receiver on the craft was on the same frequency I should be fine. and yes, I know i could google this, but wanted to know from experienced jocks such as yourselves.
I don't know of anyone who has used a yoke style controller for RC planes , it's probably been done , but I don't think it's common .

If you were to find/buy a receiver that would work with the yoke controller , compare the cost ( with shipping ) to getting a common RC transmitter/controller that is DESIGNED to fly RC planes and helis . Here is one that's $ 55 including one receiver and includes free shipping ( in the USA lower 48 ) . It has 20 model memory , dual rates , expo , elevon mixing , etc.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-t6-6ch-radio-lcd.html

Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old May 27, 2014, 12:14 PM
Joined May 2014
2 Posts
yeah, like i said, probably using wrong terminology. I have that style controller. two sticks and lots of trim sliders. spring loaded on the right control with full motion range, same with the right, but not springy on the vertical axis, could be the throttle. no rudder control that i can figure, but could probably map things depending on the receiver, right?

so again, in theory i could find something that would work with the frequency the controller is on. yes?

edit:
found this on this site for the craft i have, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577960
jabackes is offline Find More Posts by jabackes
Last edited by jabackes; May 27, 2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: adding link to thread discussing the controller/craft i have.