Old Dec 03, 2013, 02:27 AM
Novice nitro head!
South Africa, GP, Kempton Park
Joined Jun 2013
11 Posts
Help!
Nitro tuning

Hi all,

I have two qeustions can someone please help me with some answers and/or suggestions.

I bought a 1/10th scale nitro truck and broke the engin in according to the following:

3 x tanks at idle.
3 x tanks of running at low to medium throttle

Is this correct?

I have tuned the engine with the help of various how to's, but I can't see the smoke that every body is talking about. My temp is 220 degrees f, meashered on the head next to the glow plug. So my hsn is correct or very neerly there. My acceleration is very good and it idels nice and low, this means my idle and lsn is correct.

Could the lack of smoke be cause by a lot of moister in the air? It has been raining a lot for the last couple of days and the prediction is for a lot more for the next week.

Please any ideas or suggestions?
ArchMule is offline Find More Posts by ArchMule
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2013, 02:34 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,390 Posts
That could be a factor. What brand of fuel are you running? You want a blend with 18% oil. You temps look good . If your settings are close to what the manual says You should be good. Your break in procedure looks good as well. If you see some oil dripping out of the exhaust that is a good sign. What engine are you running?
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Dec 04, 2013, 01:53 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,841 Posts
How quick does the engine respond to throttle input? There should be a slight hesitation if you give it a blip of throttle. If it responds instantly it's lean.

What vehicle is it? It could just be the exhaust location hiding the smoke too.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Dec 05, 2013, 10:02 AM
Novice nitro head!
South Africa, GP, Kempton Park
Joined Jun 2013
11 Posts
It is a cen mg10 mt3. It is running a cen nx 15 L (ightning) engine. Ran it again today nice trail of light blueish smoke at top end!

As far as I gather that means my hsn is correct. Temps are fine as well.

Now my isseu is the pinch test for my lsn. Performance is fine no bogging or stalling of the start. Acceleration is nice and smooth but when I do the pinch the revs go way up and it starts to drive and it takes 7 seconds to kill the engine.

Acording to the forums and youtube vids this means my lsn is rich. Correct me if im wrong but I tuned it clockwise (lean) with no effect except for idle going up. And then it starts to cut out wile ideling.

My carburettor gap is 1.07 mm (0.41"). I use a piece of aircraft safety locking wire to tune my gap.

I use a South African blend of 16%. The container only says 16% no mention of oil percentage.

Any suggestions?
ArchMule is offline Find More Posts by ArchMule
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:34 AM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
352 Posts
How many screws does the carb have? Most carbs have just the hsn, lsn and the idle stop. If you have another then you are probably adjusting the mix metering screw and not the lsn...
Barracuz is offline Find More Posts by Barracuz
Old Dec 20, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Dec 2013
1 Posts
Tmaxx 3.3

I know I'm probably not in the right forum but I'd be thankful if someone would direct me. I'm trying to sell my tmaxx 3.3.
Hover8733 is offline Find More Posts by Hover8733
Old Dec 20, 2013, 05:49 PM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
352 Posts
This should be the forum

http://www.rcgroups.com/cars-trucks-and-parts-fs-w-564/
Barracuz is offline Find More Posts by Barracuz