HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2014, 09:18 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
283 Posts
Great work. I overheard subdave and Skip talking at Carmel last year, Skip was saying how the drag of the conning tower effects the submerges trim at different speeds. Maybe that is some of your issues?
Greg W is offline Find More Posts by Greg W
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2014, 09:48 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
365 Posts
Thanks Greg,

Not sure if that's the problem, certainly something to keep in mind, what i did discovered was, when sliding in the SD i've noticed she is being pushed up a little, i had set the zero level the first time without noticing this, will use some wooden wedges to simulate the position when inserted into the boat.

Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:28 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
365 Posts
Last weekend i had my yearly submeet, made a short vid to show what was going on, enjoy

Subsail 2014 (2 min 55 sec)

And another builder took some shots of my type XXIII,

20140609 135833 (0 min 30 sec)

Manfred.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:59 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
365 Posts
Painted both the tower and hull, still have some issue's with the torpedohatches which has to be solved, pictures

Decided to take the UAK colours, still have to add some markings, add the navlights and weather her up.

The hull is painted the standard two tone colour, she first has to be opened, the torpedohatches don't work flawless, i got too much friction during opening using copper rods, these will be replaced by carbon rods.

Manfred.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:21 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
365 Posts
I've opened up the rearpart first, want to use part of the diesel exhaust as a reque buoye, i will follow in general the design i made on the 212.

This is the room i have, want to cut down that large piece of styrodure to create some room.

This part is going to be tricky. have to build a kind of lever to get the connection on top of the SD while avoiding the drivetrain shaft.

Allready glued down the triggerbar on top of the SD, still have to build the releasemechanism of the buoye itself.

Manfred.
Last edited by MFR; Sep 06, 2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 02:01 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
365 Posts
I'm almost there with the buoye system, made the locking device, the spool and the buoye itself, pictures

I copied the system from the 212, it works the same.

Made the spool and tried to keep it as light as possible.

It does fit exactly under the diesel exhaust, even with enough clearance to spin freely.

To make the connection between the buoye and locking system i've used again the magnets, this allows me to slide out the SD freely.

Shaped the foam to fitt inside the exhaust, glued it down with 2K glue.

A dryfitt to see if the hole to glue the magnet inside is positioned right.

This was the most scary part, took the jewellers saw to cut free the rounded part, the cut is barely visible.

The advantage of using the jewellers saw is, you loose less material, so fixing the seem of the rearpart is easier.

Had to place the hull upside down, this way the glue will stay inside the foampart instead dripping out.

It took about 24 hours to let it cure, again the seem is barely visible.

Pulled free the buoye from the magnet connection, still have to make the connection between the triggerrod and the servo, after that i can test the buoye system and re-trim the beast,

Manfred,
Old Sep 01, 2014, 09:09 AM
Mini-Me is watching you...
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
505 Posts
Bouy system

I was looking at your buoy system and saw that it looked similar to my first attempt at the same system. Not sure if you looked into it, but I made mine without the rod and solenoid. I made a small electro magnetic coil that was epoxied in the bottom of the buoy shaft out of coil wire and a nail with a large head. I glued a magnet to the bottom of the buoy float, which held the buoy in place on the non energized magnet coil since the nail head was ferrous. when they system tripped, the electro magnet coil energized and repelled the buoy magnet since the electro magnet, when energized, was the same polarity as the magnet on the buoy. That way there are no moving parts for the buoy to get snagged on.
thenodemaster is offline Find More Posts by thenodemaster
Old Sep 01, 2014, 01:17 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
365 Posts
That's also a way to skin a cat, never thought about that, i did build this system before for my type 212, works like a charm.
My type VII scale 1:35 has a system which also uses the coil of a relais, as long as the boat is under power it's keeping the buoy at it's place by the generated magnetism, shutting down the power of the relais coil releases the buoy, in your chase you more or less launch the buoy away, which can be helpfull in some situations, i'll file your solution, never know when this will become helpfull, thanks for the info.

Manfred.
Old Sep 02, 2014, 12:00 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
831 Posts
IMHO the already energized electromagnet setup is better. In the event something goes wrong with your battery there's nothing to eject your bouy.
redboat219 is offline Find More Posts by redboat219
Old Sep 06, 2014, 08:36 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
365 Posts
Designed a way to get the triggerbar to slide, the first attempt failed, had to design a better one, also replaced the copper triggerbars from the torpedosystem, pictures

At first i used a bended copper rod, this couldnīt transfer the motion from the servo to the triggerbar, it was way too flexible.
It proved at least to me that i needed a magnetic connection to the triggerbar.

The second design works fine, since itīs made from circuitboard, itīs more stiff, it easely transfers the motion from the servo rod.

Fixing the rods from the torpedosystem was easy, cutted away the copper rods and replaced them by carbon rods, donīt need to lubricate anymore.

Manfred.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 09:29 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
365 Posts
Also uploaded a vid, enjoy

http://youtu.be/vGN9vQxNSTQ?list=UUO...ACPBLzVy3ZnAmQ

Manfred.
Last edited by MFR; Sep 06, 2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 04:37 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,583 Posts
Manfred, I am glad to see you are back posting updates here. the submarine is looking fantastic.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Sep 13, 2014, 02:23 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
365 Posts
Thanks Tim,

I still try to spread the word about subs, the type XXIII turned out nice, she's on hold for trimming, first want to get the V80 ready, so i can trim both at the same time.

Manfred.