HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2014, 05:47 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
849 Posts
Received mine today, what a nice model and I'm very impressed. Will have some pics of her flying at our local "hill" soon, to be posted on my RCG blog site.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:48 AM
United States, MO, Dexter
Joined Dec 2013
33 Posts
wondering if anyone has done it/considered doing it, relocating the spoiler servos out a few inches in the wing. would require another servo and carving servo pockets in the wings. it's always a pita to hook-up/disconnect the one servo rod to assemble/dis-assemble the wings for transport. maybe it's a crazy idea??
oldsailer
oldsailer is offline Find More Posts by oldsailer
Old Sep 11, 2014, 09:22 AM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsailer View Post
wondering if anyone has done it/considered doing it, relocating the spoiler servos out a few inches in the wing. would require another servo and carving servo pockets in the wings. it's always a pita to hook-up/disconnect the one servo rod to assemble/dis-assemble the wings for transport. maybe it's a crazy idea??
oldsailer
Great idea.

I'm thinking of taking this one step further and designing a laser cut wing kit! This will remedy all sorts of the issues, over flexing for one, adding separate metal gear servos of choice in the wings with nice clean balsa sheeted covered wings and using HQ3512 profile. Also a proper wing mounting system and 7075 wing joiner rod will be nice. With my fibreglass/cloth/CA covered fuselage, the added weight will be nice with a proper set of wings to boot.

Cheers, Thompson
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Sep 14, 2014, 01:01 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
849 Posts
Some pics of my new PZ Ka-8 and if anyone is interested a flight review if you go to my blog
Old Sep 14, 2014, 01:21 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Great idea.

I'm thinking of taking this one step further and designing a laser cut wing kit! This will remedy all sorts of the issues, over flexing for one, adding separate metal gear servos of choice in the wings with nice clean balsa sheeted covered wings and using HQ3512 profile. Also a proper wing mounting system and 7075 wing joiner rod will be nice. With my fibreglass/cloth/CA covered fuselage, the added weight will be nice with a proper set of wings to boot.

Cheers, Thompson
Just curious, would the wings be sheeted foam core or built-up and then sheeted? I remember years ago reading about a modeler using pantyhose and thinned down Elmers glue to cover his sheeted model airplanes, very simple and inexpensive.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:42 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
I will have to draft this, but I'd imagine I would plan to build up the wing and sheet it. Although, after a few hours with the factory wings, they look ok, just needed some strengthening. So, I might be sating my time drafting a wing design.

On the factory foam wings, I used some carbon fiber strips (.057" x .177" x 40") on the underside (about an 1.5" back from the LE, right in front of the aileron servo,) knifed a slit, then stuffed down into the slit the carbon strip and added CA glue. Ran a strip of fiberglass strapping tape over. LE will get some clear packing tape and possible white vinyl. I just don't like the look of foam beads and when they get dented...

I just finished today covering and painting the fuselage. I used fiberglass and a old white Ralph Lauren cloth bed sheet with Zap medium CA. First removed all stickers, sanded foam and red paint off, filled with light weight spackle, sanded this. Then spray glued the fiberglass and laid down, then spray glued the cloth and stretched this tight. Soaked the entire fuselage with CA, sanded, primed, sanded, painted. Whew. It's like fiberglassing with resin, but lighter and just as strong. The CA bonds to the Parkzone foam well after it soaks through the cloth and glass.

I would imagine that panty hose and Elmers glue would do a similar effect as fiberglass and Minwax polyacrylic. I covered an ST Models DG-1000 2m this way, but wasn't happy with the final results, the skin was still somewhat flexible. I'm sticking to my cloth/fiberglass and CA, nice and tough.

Cheers, Thompson
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:21 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
Still needs graphics, will apply tomorrow. If you notice closely, I adjusted the nose profile to better replicate the original. The Parkzone mould has the bottom portion of the nose curving in too soon. The other problem with the fuselage not matching the original full size is right after the wing TE the lower portion of the bottom fuselage is supposed to form a triangle, but ours is very flat and wide. I opted to just leave as is.

The skid is a piece of 1/32" birch ply with an aluminum printing plate on top. The whole unit bolts and unbolts from the underside using the red factory piece. I replicated the fabric and soaked with CA to give the appearance it is flexible like the original. I used Saranwrap to fabricate the wrinkled fabric.

Also installed a Multiplex Cularis aerotow unit. This is operated by a Hitec HS-82 MG servo. I made a piece of 1/8" birch ply housing, wire tied and glued the aerotow unit to the ply, then glued this into the fuselage. slid in just under the foam battery tray.

My plan is to run a 6v 2300mah Rx battery pack.

Cheers, Thompson

Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:34 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
All the photos of the build so far are in this album
https://www.flickr.com/photos/studio...7647608906752/

@Libelle201B - nice pictures, ready on the tarmac! All you guys are way ahead of me, I haven't even flown mine yet and did all this work. Can you imagine, buy a brand new Ka-8b and take it all apart and muck it up. I can't leave anything alone. Planning to maiden at the SeptemberSoar this next week in Vermont.

Cheers, Thompson
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:44 AM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
697 Posts
Outstanding work there Tompson. Interesting stuff with the CA & I love that you modified the nose profile & skid. And full marks for replacing that awful tow-release mechanism. Looking really good so far.
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:22 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodd View Post
Outstanding work there Tompson. Interesting stuff with the CA & I love that you modified the nose profile & skid. And full marks for replacing that awful tow-release mechanism. Looking really good so far.
Thanks! Now I need to get on the schtick and apply some graphics tonight, start to install the Rx and get it ready for Friday.

Cheers, Thompson
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:40 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
This things flies better with some weight in it, so I think you are onto something with the "covering job".

Looking forward to hearing how the maiden goes!

Kenda
kenda1 is offline Find More Posts by kenda1
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:32 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
Here's how the Ka-8b is shaping up. I decided to cover the wing tops with white Orcal vinyl. I also covered the white rim with black.

Old Sep 15, 2014, 07:16 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
486 Posts
Studio....how much does this weight now?
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld
Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsld View Post
Studio....how much does this weight now?
Good question, I'll be able to weigh the Ka-8b with all my mods soon, still need to finish installing the Rx, vario, tail graphics and covering the top of the wing.

Cheers, Thompson
Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,359 Posts
I'll get a chance to weigh this tonight. I can drop the Graupner GR-16L Rx in it and the canopy hatch, but leave out the 6v 5 cell Rx 2300mah battery. This should give a good representation of what the covering and paint added. The rudder graphics still need to be applied, but that shouldn't add too much.

Could somebody weigh a stock Ka-8b in the same configuration with the factory front aerotow servo assembly? I totally spaced out and forgot to do this… duho!
Last edited by studioRS; Yesterday at 08:31 AM.