Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:37 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Discussion
DLG launching

Hey guys,
I am just getting into DLGs. Is there any recomended reading material for how to get a good launch. I throw discus for my hightschool track team. We use a spin technique. Can I just use this same technique to lauch DLGs?
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:22 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,307 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1725624
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:57 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,823 Posts
Also search youtube
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:03 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2003
41 Posts
Jun C. - DLG Launch Clinic Part 1 (9 min 4 sec)

Jun C. - DLG Launch Clinic Part 2 (9 min 15 sec)
jecottrell is offline Find More Posts by jecottrell
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:18 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkF-117 View Post
Hey guys,
I am just getting into DLGs. Is there any recomended reading material for how to get a good launch. I throw discus for my hightschool track team. We use a spin technique. Can I just use this same technique to lauch DLGs?
You throw discus in high school? Cool!
We could learn from you!
About 5 yrs ago I showed my throw to a buddy who was recently inducted into his college hall of fame; he coached high school and some college track sports, discus, hammer, javelin, etc., and said he couldn't add any more input to me, in particular. He liked the execution. He actually called it 'the cat'. lol
We've been waiting for someone like you, someone who's in the actual discus sport and has interest in DLG.
I haven't changed my approach but am always willing to learn.

Please, keep us updated with you progress in DLG!

Soar!
Jun
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Last edited by jcats; Mar 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:43 AM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Thank you Jun. I have been throwing for a few years and also flying RC for about 4 years but never put them together until now. I just want to make sure I dont ruin my discus throw trying to modify it for DLGs as we are just starting our season.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:27 AM
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Feb 2013
1,800 Posts
Thanks for the tips Jcats, I really got a lot out of those vids!

Especially about how the glider should feel heavy in your hand when your spinning, it made me realise that I was spinning myself hard but not the glider.

Now I'm not spinning as hard but my glider is launching nice and high and makes that nice swoosh sound when I launch.

Thanks!
Matty12 is offline Find More Posts by Matty12
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:00 AM
Hamilton, CANADA
Joined Sep 2009
339 Posts
Hey Matty... I just forwarded this to a friend who is at the same stage as you...

...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1780377

see item No. 14.. video... (near bottom of page one)

Nice slo-mo of the techniques of some of the heavy hitters in this addiction.
Ray
Upvector is offline Find More Posts by Upvector
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:46 AM
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Feb 2013
1,800 Posts
Thanks Ray,

I'd seen the clip before but watching it again is more helpful now that I know a bit more, I'll probably keep getting that feeling for a while as I progress.

You can really see the gliders pick up speed through the last 180 degrees, some are really moving! Interesting too that there are so many styles of throw.
Matty12 is offline Find More Posts by Matty12
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:15 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
I don't think throwing discus in school helped me much. They really are quite a bit different. The way you cradle a disc and the way you hold a plane for launch have no commonalities.

If you want to emulate someone else's launch technique, you can't go wrong in looking at King Jun's throw. It's smooth and fluid, and while he may not be the highest launcher on every field, he doesn't give up much.

I found that the foot-steps graphic on his home page here on RCG was the single biggest thing that helped my launch. When I was learning to throw a DLG my overall timing was off, I couldn't put any power into the plane, and my release was always wonky. I studied his diagram and practiced using those footsteps for quite some time and I saw a noticeable increase in my launch height. After a few months, I was sometimes throwing as well as the best launchers in AZ. Not long after that, I realized it IS more important to learn to fly well if you want to do well in contests. A good launch helps, but a "great read" is almost always better.

FWIW, you might also try looking for video of Nick Tasto. He was on the 2011 USA F3K Jr team, but I hear his launch made many of the senior piolots at the world championship a little bit jealous.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Last edited by carlsoti; Apr 11, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:41 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Thanks for the input. My Mimi is almost done so I'll be able to start practicing soon. However I may have to wait untill track season is over to dive full into it because I don't want to mess up my disc form. Just out of curiosity how fast does a 1.5m dlg go on launch?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:00 PM
a.k.a Frank Campbell
Long Beach, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2007
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkF-117 View Post
Just out of curiosity how fast does a 1.5m dlg go on launch?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1537587

In particular look at the video in the second post
VintageFan is offline Find More Posts by VintageFan