SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
New Product
Hobbyking Dolphin Jet EDF

Just seen this popup on my YouTube feed, seems to be an EDF trainer/ beginners model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXk8vbh2jKY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=28555&aff=346897

Couldn't find any other threads so posting this.

I've been looking at the Bixler as a possible aileron trainer, moving on to the Vampire eventually.

This looks a good one to learn on, high wing, full 4 channel control, tricycle gear and EDF or pusher motor.
sidneylopsides is offline Find More Posts by sidneylopsides
Last edited by sidneylopsides; Nov 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:40 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Does it say what size the edf is?
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:23 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,406 Posts
As the pink pig said, "Oh God".

The Electrifly Syncro that was released a year or two ago was very similar in concept to this and it pretty much fell on its face in terms of popularity. It's just an awkward design that doesn't offer any advantages over a more or less traditional trainer. Sure, the airframe might be decent, or even excellent, as a training platform, but I just don't see the point of ruining it by Frankensteining an EDF unit and housing onto the top of it.

Why do these things exist?
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
Leeds, UK
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
I think it might actually work better in reverse. If you got it as a trainer with a pusher prop, then could swap to EDF to learn those, as a step up to a proper EDF jet.
Still, for me I think it would be a good platform to try before flying the Vampire.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:03 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Guy at one of the fields I fly at has one of those, it's a real POS. Can ROG but it's a real pig in the sky, not to mention he is on his second fan unit. The motor mounts break very easily on these things.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
subbed. Want to buy it before I fly my freebie EDF Jet. Would like to hear what you guys think of it as a EDF trainer. I fly very good with my AXN but I am afraid to try my EDF jet
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:56 AM
Unregistered User
White Rock BC/Blaine WA
Joined Apr 2007
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kov16 View Post
The guy in the YouTube video mentioned in the first post says it's 55mm.
liam2317 is offline Find More Posts by liam2317
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooby View Post
55mm
crazy4airplane is offline Find More Posts by crazy4airplane
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
it has the removable landing gear , you can hand lanuch or by gear . 55mm EDF and pusher, just need to change the motor, it is a easy change for EDF and Pusher, quite good
crazy4airplane is offline Find More Posts by crazy4airplane
Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:29 PM
Insert something whitty here*
United States, IL, River Forest
Joined Apr 2013
242 Posts
Subscribed as well. Is there ANY way to reinforce the motor mount? I've had mine for a little over 2 months, haven't had a problem.. (knock on wood) but im a little worried about the motor. It's a powerful motor and the magnets included with it are rather cheap..
StueyNez is offline Find More Posts by StueyNez
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:13 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,592 Posts
sidneylopsides,

Assuming you are competent with a basic trainer then you would be far better getting an aileron equipped sports model. Generally you would be best to avoid anything fitted with an EDF. EDF's (compared to a prop of similar power) are heavy, slow accelerating, inefficient and have short flight time. There really is no good reason to get an EDF unless you are flying a scale jet and don't want a prop purely for aesthetic reasons.

Something like this would be a much better bet and would also be better preparation for the Vampire: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...lug_n_Fly.html
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:46 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
Thanks for the reply :-)
Since I first posted I've got a Bixler and built a few from scratch, the Flite Test Swappable series.
I've had a flight with the Vampire, I was eager to try it and took it out on a windy day, had a rough landing.... No real damage, just glue joints gave up. I might take her out again today.
Old Jun 02, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Jun 2013
1 Posts
I own the Dolphin Jet. The manual says the reason for making it an EDF is that they're safer for beginners, as there's no prop to slice someone up with if you happen to crash into them, which I hadn't really thought about before. Also it's a lot easier to break a prop in a rough landing than a ducted fan, so fewer parts for a beginner to replace.

This thing is easily the best flying plane I own. Even my buddy who has been flying for 25 years or something loved it and wants to get one now that he's flown mine.

As an aside, I pillaged my destroyed HobbyKing P40 Funfighter for its motor and ESC and installed it onto the pusher mount. With that, it absolutely screams. Good times.
capncrunk is offline Find More Posts by capncrunk
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:28 PM
Insert something whitty here*
United States, IL, River Forest
Joined Apr 2013
242 Posts
does anyone have an electronic version of the manual they'd like to email me? hobbyking has no record of every selling the manual with the plane? (if that makes ANY sense??) but i'm in need of a manual...
StueyNez is offline Find More Posts by StueyNez
Old Oct 07, 2013, 04:38 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,769 Posts
I picked one of these up last week. I have always thought it looked similar to the He-162 in a blurry-eyed sort of way. Anyway, I was not expecting too much, power-wise, but, even with the horribly balanced fan, (Should have balanced it before I flew) it flew well, albeit a bit nose-high. Now I plan on balancing that fan, and removing the stickers (it says "dolphin jet" EIGHT times!!!) and painting her up in a german WW2 theme. I may even add some detail to that pod to make that look more the part. Then I will fly the crap out of this guy!!!! -------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy