SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:10 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
Is anyone running a 6s setup? I already have a collection of 6s 3000mah and 4500mah packs, as well as 3s 2200's that i could run in series for short, light flights.

What size motor, esc, and prop would get decent flight times on 6s?
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2014, 05:49 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,150 Posts
those 320kv multirotor pancake motor might be a good candidate
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Sep 14, 2014, 09:40 AM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,801 Posts
Anyone selling a NIB Skyhunter?

Hi all, looking to buy a NIB Skyhunter.....
Cheers
CG
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:10 AM
USA, TX, College Station
Joined Sep 2008
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Is anyone running a 6s setup? I already have a collection of 6s 3000mah and 4500mah packs, as well as 3s 2200's that i could run in series for short, light flights.

What size motor, esc, and prop would get decent flight times on 6s?
I just picked up a Cobra 3525/18 (430kV) and a Xoar 14x8 which may be a bit heavy but shouldn't be an issue since I will only run one 6S 4000-5000 pack. The Cobra 3520/18 is a lighter choice but for a smaller 11-12" prop. All you need is a 40+ amp ESC.
Stoats is online now Find More Posts by Stoats
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:39 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
Thnx for the info guys, im just getting started in FPV and going to use a small balsa plane i have at first. I will try to get my skyhunter for xmas.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
When people talk about SEPIC any2any regulators they're usually talking about this
one http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Adjustabl...EPIC-Type.html
or one that looks just like it. That's what I use, and it's very clean.
There's LC filter linked from that page. It works well and is always part of my
full FPV harnesses, but I don't always use it on say, a multirotor platform.

Thanks for this info! I see the dpav SEPIC regulator supports 2A max output. I normally run everything except the motor off of a Castle 10A switching regulator. Would you recommend powering just the camera and video transmitter off of the SEPIC regulator/LC filter combo or anything else (wondering about the flight controller)? Also...does it matter if the LC filter is before or after the regulator (thinking about the LC filter that plugs off of the balance port). For me the hardest part of the FPV electronics is the power. Gotta worry about different things at different voltages and filtering and grounds, trying to get it all to go through the current sensor and trying to keep it away from transmitters/cameras
astr0lite is offline Find More Posts by astr0lite
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:38 PM
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2013
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astr0lite View Post
Thanks for this info! I see the dpav SEPIC regulator supports 2A max output. I normally run everything except the motor off of a Castle 10A switching regulator. Would you recommend powering just the camera and video transmitter off of the SEPIC regulator/LC filter combo or anything else (wondering about the flight controller)? Also...does it matter if the LC filter is before or after the regulator (thinking about the LC filter that plugs off of the balance port). For me the hardest part of the FPV electronics is the power. Gotta worry about different things at different voltages and filtering and grounds, trying to get it all to go through the current sensor and trying to keep it away from transmitters/cameras
Don't plug things onto the balance port. That won't be measured by your current sensor so your battery usage numbers will be wrong.

It should be battery to current sensor. Then on the output of the current sensor, you connect your ESC, BEC and 12V regulator all in parallel.

For APMS and pixhawks, the current sensor provides a clean regulated supply for the flight controller but not for the servos.

I like to use the castle BECs instead of the one in the ESC because you can tune their output voltage and I trust them a bit more. It also reduces the load and heat in the ESC.

The SEPIC is for the 12V regulator which powers your FPV camera and VTX. You definitely don't want your servos/RX etc powered by it.

The LC filter should be after the regulator.
Noircogi is offline Find More Posts by Noircogi
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:47 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,467 Posts
Agreed. I only ever power the VTX and camera from the SEPIC regulator.
You should use a separate regulator for powering Rx/servos, not only so it can't
be overwhelmed, but because servos can introduce visible noise into the video system.
I put the LC filter downstream of the SEPIC regulator.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:10 PM
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
Finally executed my first and ever maiden flight with the SH.. I didn't realize after getting it up in the air that it's not as intimidating as I thought it would be. Thanks for everyone posting their settings and ideas, they helped tremendously! Realized after the first throw that I needed more than half of the throttle..Second attempt worked awesome. I got the bug and hooked with the SH..

I know and my bad for not providing a video. The video was so wavey that it's not worth posting. I had a mobious camera mounted on top of the wing with no dampening, and probably as result to other factors, wind, and probably an unbalanced prop. Any help would help me in the future on an optional way to record video.

I used up 3713 mah on about a 15 min or so flight. I'm planning to definitely beef up the system with a 4S 5000+ battery, bigger prop and a Cobra C-2820/14 840Kv motor. I'm looking for an efficient and long flight time. Ideas? I'm assuming this will work. Since I have these batteries below that I'm thinking putting them in series (6S) and using a Cobra C-3525/18 430kv motor, but not sure it would put me in the 3500 load range.

My current setup was:
3S 8200mah battery.
50amp ESC
Turnigy D2836/9 950KV (I know..lol)
APC 11X7 E prop
Vector
Dragon Link

r,
Ben
CW4R is offline Find More Posts by CW4R
Old Sep 15, 2014, 07:42 PM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4R View Post
my bad for not providing a video
Oh NO Ben!! In fact, thank you so much for that!
Hope you still have chance to upload your vids when they become really worth seeing.
Cathay Stray is online now Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:23 PM
Joined Aug 2013
30 Posts
Hi People

Could you help me to find a good retract landind gear for skyhunter> Like a tricycle...
thanks
marcos patrick is offline Find More Posts by marcos patrick
Old Sep 15, 2014, 09:57 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos patrick View Post
Hi People

Could you help me to find a good retract landind gear for skyhunter> Like a tricycle...
thanks
For the most part I think (purely IMHO) the weight of a retract system would be far more detrimental than the drag of open landing gear.

Might be wrong, but I just cannot see this airframe using a retract system - UNLESS - possibly a subframe might be constructed using a wing section much like the space shuttles delta configuration. Say crossmembers (10mm X 10mm motor sticks?) that could support the stance of a rear set of retracts and a single front steering gear much like the gear configuration of the PK Habu.

The front wheel well would not need to be totally recessed - in fact only half with the strut and axle outside the fuse would be fine. The "delta" cross section for the rear of the fuse might provide enough lift on it's own to offset any added weight. Maybe.

Interesting though.

Suppose a full "speed brake" were installed across the rear of the delta section. One that would fold down at 90 degrees. If solid structure (ply) were too harsh then air holes could be drilled - AKA - SBD. I certainly might aid in short field landings.

Interesting.

Still it would absolutely have to be a complete offset of weight verses value or not viable at all.

Hillbille
hillbille is offline Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:44 PM
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Feb 2013
1,800 Posts
Why I love this airframe:
On the slow train at Priceless Point (5 min 5 sec)
Matty12 is offline Find More Posts by Matty12
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2013
33 Posts
nice work
Lusby is online now Find More Posts by Lusby
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty12 View Post
Matty12,

Whats your setup to ensure you're not getting any jello video effect? Nice video!

Ben
CW4R is offline Find More Posts by CW4R