HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,310 Posts
Discussion
Hanagar 9 P-47 Razorback 150

Looking for a powerplant for this one. Picked it up new in the box about a year and a half ago intending to go electric with a sound system. Thing is by the time I add all of that and power/speakers it's going to be about 22lbs and still end up with 5 minute flight times. I want more time in the air and have been bitten by the gas bug. Problem is I only have 5.5inches between the firewalland front of the cowl to fit an engine. At least that's where the manual is telling me the prop hub needs to be.
I also want to be able to turn at least a 20" prop and looking for speeds in the low to mid 70s. So far the only thing I have found that kind of fits the bill is the RCGF 40cc twin. Even that is pretty close as it's 5.2-5.3" from the back of the muffler to the prop hub. Looking at the few reviews that are out there for the twin it doesn't look like anyone is getting the advertised rpm from the engine. Underpowered is NOT what I'm looking for and I just can't see running anything smaller than a 19" prop on this plane.
HELP!
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:24 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
631 Posts
I have one about 4 years old. It is powered by an SPE 43cc gasser and uses a 19x8 XOAR prop. Not over or under-powered.

Check out a video on Youtube. Search under "John Whitsitt P-47" for a looksee.
Lifer is online now Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:36 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,310 Posts
I like the price on that one. Can't find any diagrams yet though.
I know I have seen that video before too. Looks like it flys it real nice so this one is on the list. Also found RedBaronRCs videos again last night. So now the list is up to 3 engines that will fit. He's running the FPE 40CC. It's pretty high on the list at the moment as the guy that builds them is a few hours away in PA.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:58 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
631 Posts
Check Chief RC or Cermark for spec's on the SPE 43cc engine. FPE engines have a good reputation as well.

Best regards.
Lifer is online now Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:29 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Check Chief RC or Cermark for spec's on the SPE 43cc engine. FPE engines have a good reputation as well.

Best regards.
Thanks. Chief is a at least a distributor that I know I can get ahold of if needed. Not that big of a price increase over some of the others either. It just kills me that nobody has a diagram showing how much room is needed for mounting.
It doesn't look like that big of a deal with this one though. If anything the stock muffler goes back a bit, but that can be replaced easy enough.
Found one vid or pic of an SV 50CC twin this morning that had some home built straight pipes on it. That may be an option too for others that the muffler gets in the way. Weld up a straight pipe and throw a TBM silencer in there for the back pressure. Should make more room for more engine. At the end of the day I would really like to be able to run a semi scale 4 blade on this one and be able to fly scale speeds with that setup, then when I really want to burn holes in the sky put on a 2 blade and go for speed.
Keep them coming guys. I'm even open to a DA50 or DLE55, but that will take firewall mods and I will need pics and instructions for that one. I've only been flying for 3 years and have only done RTF and ARFS so far. Overpowering an ARF isn't a problem when going electric, but usually involves more in depth mods when dealing with fuel engines. I just don't want to screw this one into the ground or have the firewall fly off the plane because I didn't know what I was doing.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:15 PM
COFFS HARBOUR AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2004
31 Posts
Hangar 9 P47

Hi
My first was powered with a zenoah G38 was Perfect Shame the battery wasn't My current one has a Saito 220 because I had the engine Yes a bit off overkill But !! what can I say The old Zenoah ended up with a bent crank Hence using what I had
Rob...
XTRA230 is offline Find More Posts by XTRA230
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:18 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,310 Posts
Finally decided on power. I bought the DLE35ra thinking it would be ok without moving the firewall. That was wrong. The prop would have been sitting about an inch in front of the cowl. So back it went and I brought home the DLE55RA.
If I have to cut an inch out I might as well cut a little more and run an engine that will let me run a good size 4 blade prop.
Cut the motorbox yesterday and have it ready to put back in, but along the way I'm finding that most of the glue joints are brittle and it really doesn't take much to brake them loose. NOT a good thing considering my engine choice.
I took some random pics along the way. I'm going back over the joints around the firewall area now with some 30 min epoxy. I'm also trying to coat as much of the inside of the fuse as I can reach with some Minwax WBPU. I figure it will get into the cracks easier plus help stiffen the sheeting a bit. A couple coats of that should help hold everything together. I hope.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:37 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,310 Posts
Figured I might as well test fit the engine in the cowl. Looks like it will work out just fine. Gap from the prop hub to cowl is about 1/4". Good enough for me. And it looks like the only cutting I'll have to do is on the lower half of the dummy radial to put air directly over the cylinder, and a couple holes for the muffler stingers.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 10:26 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,099 Posts
Looks like a nice FIT
That 55 should drag that plane around pretty good.
You can't over re support these arfs

Plus it is good fuel proofing.
Looks like lots of progress, Keep the pics coming.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:02 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Name: IMG_0007.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 1.27 MB
Description:
mcjohnson is offline Find More Posts by mcjohnson
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:08 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
Name: IMG_0006.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 1.24 MB
Description:
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:14 PM
Joined Jun 2014
6 Posts
I did the dle55 , plenty of extra power to swing the bala 4 blade prop,, lots of firewall modifications, but worth the effort, very happy with the flight performance, also needed to modify the wing to take a 4.5 inch wheels, the gear that comes with the arf are functional but not great.