SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:19 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Looks good what is the weight? Worry about that as the Hobbico lines tend to be over engineered, IMHO.

Had one back in the day one of my favorite fliers.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:31 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,417 Posts
I don't know the finished weight of the one I flew, but it was very well behaved and slowed down nicely.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:37 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Cool - good to know.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:50 AM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
599 Posts
Great to see some of the old designs surfacing as electrics. The Goldberg mini Chipmunk is also back out.
Gotta get both of these

Jay
Cub Fan is offline Find More Posts by Cub Fan
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:31 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,397 Posts
My LHS (5 miles from my house...I'm lucky) just emailed me.
The kits are in stock !
Can't wait to get it home and take a look.

Just finished painting the Dynamic Foamy XB-70 this morning. Just have to install servos and radio/battery and then I can start the Contender EP.
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
Curious to see what other motors will fit or if they really designed it around the Rimfire .10

According to the manual, they recommend 21 in-oz of torque per servo, so that is a bit beyond an HS55.
They recommend Futaba 3114, so I was planning on a HS65 karbonite or metal gear servo, which is very close (1mm or so). Again, i will wait to see how tight they made the aileron servo cutouts.
Just picked up the mini contender at my LHS, I also purchased 4 Corona 929mgs. These have 25 oz-in torque and very reasonably priced. Also looking at the new full range 4 channel spectrum receiver AR 400 for $29.99.
chetway is offline Find More Posts by chetway
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,397 Posts
Went out at lunch to my LHS. I have the Contender EP !

Can't wait to start the build, hopefully late this weekend (XB-70 needs another night's work I think)

Will probably "keep things simple" and just go with the recommended Futaba 3114 servos (my local LHS has these in stock). I've never had a Futaba servo bite me in 30 years, so why not.
Still unsure about the motor ... Rimfire 10 or perhaps something different.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
I'm still unsure about the motor either. Wondering if an eflite power 10 would fit? The diameter is the same but its about 1/4" longer.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:39 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
501 Posts
Chetway,

Please check out the thread dealing on Great Planes Super Stearman. The Super Stearman calls for a Rimfire 10. However, one the builders used an E-Flite Park 450 and found the plane performed a whole lot better.

As for me, I took the dimensions, KV ratings, etc and compared them to a number of E-Flite motors. IMO the E-Flite Park 480 1020KIV appears to be a better match. I plan on using this motor on mine Contender.
pdansalvish is offline Find More Posts by pdansalvish
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetway View Post
I'm still unsure about the motor either. Wondering if an eflite power 10 would fit? The diameter is the same but its about 1/4" longer.
You really need to get the motor first and try it against the mount before you get too far into the project. I just scored a brand new OS 30 sized outrunner off EBay - couldn't resist the price! Thought I'd mount my 'new toy' in my aerobatic ride, as the power specs of the OS and the model's existing AXI 2826 are pretty close and the prop would end up close enough to where it sits on the AXI.

Shame the mounting holes on the OS are J-U-S-T too further apart than the AXI's to allow a trade without serious effort...

I knew there was a reason that the firewall is the first part made of every model I build.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:22 PM
DCS
NorCal
Joined Nov 2003
426 Posts
Hand Launch?

Greetings.

As a kid flying RC in the 1980s I drooled over the Contender.

Years later I may finally get one!

My flying site (the school yard on the other side of my backyard fence) doesn't allow for ROG.

Question for those who have already flown the Mini Contender: Could it be hand-launched?

Please ponder and advise.

Thanks!

- DCS
DCS is offline Find More Posts by DCS
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdansalvish View Post
Chetway,

Please check out the thread dealing on Great Planes Super Stearman. The Super Stearman calls for a Rimfire 10. However, one the builders used an E-Flite Park 450 and found the plane performed a whole lot better.

As for me, I took the dimensions, KV ratings, etc and compared them to a number of E-Flite motors. IMO the E-Flite Park 480 1020KIV appears to be a better match. I plan on using this motor on mine Contender.
I compared the specs of the mini contender to the Leader 480 and you may be right on with the Park 480
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:48 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCS View Post
Greetings.

As a kid flying RC in the 1980s I drooled over the Contender.

Years later I may finally get one!

My flying site (the school yard on the other side of my backyard fence) doesn't allow for ROG.

Question for those who have already flown the Mini Contender: Could it be hand-launched?

Please ponder and advise.

Thanks!

- DCS
Considering the plane was just released August 1st, the only way would be to see about hand launches would be to wait for someone to try or find someone who participated in the test flights.

I came across some old pictures of me back in 1980 with my 2 Contenders .... great planes to build and fly. Carving the balsa nose and covering it was always an adventure.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:16 PM
USA, MO, Salem
Joined Jan 2005
79 Posts
Contender Equipment

I plan on using a Super Tigre 10 motor. It will require some motor mount mods.

For servos I obtained 4 Towerpro SG92R from HeadsUpRC.com @ $4.95 ea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Towerpro SG92R Specifications:
The Towerpro 9g SG92R High Torque Sub Micro Servo is the same size and weight as the popular Tower Pro SG90, but features carbon fiber gears and control arms -- and about 40% more torque. This is a good choice for many park flyers,

Dimensions (L x W x H) = 0.91 x 0.48 x 1.14 inch (23.0 x 12.2 x 29 mm)
Weight = 0.32 ounces (9 grams)
Weight with wire and connecter = 0.37 ounce (10.6 grams)
Stall Torque at 4.8 volts = 30.5 oz/in (2.2 kg/cm)
Operating Voltage = 4.0 to 6.0 volts
Operating Speed at 4.8 volts (no load) = 0.10 sec/ 60 degrees

Connector Wire Length = 9.75 inches (247.65mm)
Universal "S" type connector fits most receivers
max-nix is offline Find More Posts by max-nix
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,505 Posts
Alright so it's too new to have any flight reports. Just ignore my post on the same subject. I'll just track this thread instead. I think I'll go over to the LHS at lunch and pick this one up myself.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz