HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
128 Posts
Discussion
Soldering a big fat wire to Dean connector

I have a Tunigy 5000 mAh battery that has a 10 gauge wire and banana plugs. I want to swap this out to dean connector. I have gotten fairly good at soldering and have made some nice dean connected batteries.
I made one attempt at wiring the 10 gauge wire to the deans but it was not successful, the wire is so thick and the dean connector tab is fairly small in comparison it was not looking solid. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to connect a fat wire to a dean connector.
photopilot is offline Find More Posts by photopilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
160 Posts
Mattacks is offline Find More Posts by Mattacks
Last edited by Mattacks; Mar 12, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:32 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,903 Posts
I just cut 1/4 to 1/2 of the wires off to make the wire thinner. Flatten the remaining wires so that I get a good amount of contact between the wire and the Deans terminal and use a big soldering iron. Tin both before joining.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Oct 2011
546 Posts
I had the exact same problem last week, which was also my first time soldering anything. It took me two hours to get four deans connectors on 10 gauge wires. What a pain in the ass. I like the idea of cutting off some of the wire, I will defiantly try that next time.
scottieusa is online now Find More Posts by scottieusa
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:32 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,025 Posts
Do exactly as hoppy has suggested (flattening is unnecessary though). The easiest way to do the 'neck down' is to strip the wire with 14 or 16GA strippers. I've soldered 10GA wire to Deans Micro quite easily by simply necking the wire a sane diameter.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:15 AM
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined Nov 2011
71 Posts
I have the same batteries, and the same problem...Found that the easiest way was to make an adapter....5.5mm Bullet to Dean...

That way you don't have to keep trying to solder the deans on all your batteries...Just one or 2 adapters and you should be good to go.
This method is safe, and will not overheat the Dean.

Hope this helps
sts41
sts41 is offline Find More Posts by sts41
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:49 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,723 Posts
I'd have to say STs41 has the best answer for your problem and the easiest,but i would use the hobbyking XT 60 connector to go to your deans if not just replace the deans to all to XT60,job done.

All you will need to do is just pop over to Hobbyking and order your self the XT60's as they normally have them in stock and are cheap enough,then the next time you buy your self a HK battery you will be good to go.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:38 AM
King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Sep 2001
223 Posts
I find that tinning the wire.....them using a smooth pliers to make it flat helps. When I say flat, its not totally flat, just enough to give more soldering surface area on the Deans plug.
bitzerj is offline Find More Posts by bitzerj
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:42 AM
Account closed - user passed away
Chicago
Joined Nov 2009
333 Posts
These are very helpful when soldering large diameter wires to Deans.

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-12...s--dsh-/Detail

Mike
Patron is offline Find More Posts by Patron
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:32 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,402 Posts
And if I can recall from my Atlas missile days, the "approved" method of reducing the wire diameter, was to remove strands from the inside of the bundle, so that the outer wires formed a funnel to fit the smaller contact point.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:52 AM
Croatia, Europe
Joined Aug 2006
334 Posts
Why are you using Deans in the first place?

Just get EC5 for that big lipos
Wespen is offline Find More Posts by Wespen
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:12 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
And if I can recall from my Atlas missile days, the "approved" method of reducing the wire diameter, was to remove strands from the inside of the bundle, so that the outer wires formed a funnel to fit the smaller contact point.

Les
Many thanks for that tip
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:26 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wespen View Post
Why are you using Deans in the first place?

Just get EC5 for that big lipos
Because he's probably like me- I needed more mah, but don't necessarily need the amp draw and I already have zillions of planes that can use the same Lipo that is on Deans
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:29 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
I just did a 4000mah on 10 awg a couple weeks ago. As others have said, make sure it's tinned. The other big must is a heavy duty soldering gun- Mine is one of the weller guns and I think it's 150w, but anyhow, after tinning and plenty of solder on the deans, it soldered on just fine.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:59 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,322 Posts
Another way to fit 10g wire to Deans is to first tin then cut a slot in the end of the tinned wire to fit the connector with a Dremel and cutting wheel then simply "sweat" it on. Works a treat, looks nice and fits easily.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood