HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:30 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
555 Posts
Discussion
Zephyr 2 Catches Fire

Hi guys,
Im trying to work out why my new Zephyr 2 caught fire. I was doing a maiden flight , flew really good, not more then 1/2 throttle. Flew for about 4mins and land nicely on Oval and then walked over to it and the ESC was on fire.

My setup was from ReadymadeRC , with the stock motor/esc combo for $120 and running on 2 3300MAH 4s batterys.With 9*6 Prop
Would the esc be not high enough rating to run that setup?

Bloody nice Wing , was very impressed with it.

But why catch fire?
Locko is offline Find More Posts by Locko
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:48 AM
Joined Jun 2010
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locko View Post
Hi guys,
Would the esc be not high enough rating to run that setup?
i think you already nailed it! That setup should draw about 50-60A on 4s. So using 3s or an 80A rated esc would do it.
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:08 AM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Did RMRC say that setup was for 4s or 3s?
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:27 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
555 Posts
Motor/ESC package( 1300kv &60esc) specifically chosen for the Zephyr 2 from Ritewing for a stock setup, which the Z2 was made to fit 2* 3300 or 4000 4s in the battery bays.
So its got me stumped
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:29 AM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
I'd contact Tim/RMRC.

Is the plane severely damaged?
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:41 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDw View Post
I'd contact Tim/RMRC.

Is the plane severely damaged?
The arse is melted, Its fly able after a bit of hotglue and tape. Ive ripped a 60ESC out of my Habu and gona wack it in and give the plane a bash tomorrow,
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:48 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,868 Posts
Were you accidentally running the two 4 cells in series?

Very easy mistake to overlook.

That would have pushed 29.6 volts through it which would not have been good at all.
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:16 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Were you accidentally running the two 4 cells in series?

Very easy mistake to overlook.

That would have pushed 29.6 volts through it which would not have been good at all.
Na mate, not series. Red lead that splits to 2 reds leads and black lead that splits to 2 black leads
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:15 AM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,379 Posts
Were you able to see how many amps you pulled in flight? Got an OSD video? Sorry to see her cooked. War wounds.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:28 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
Were you able to see how many amps you pulled in flight? Got an OSD video? Sorry to see her cooked. War wounds.
Na mate, First time Wing flyer, so wasnt going to put fpv gear on , just in case I crashed on take off.
It should be ok setup, they sell the "motor/ESC packages and the wings made for those batterys . I just think it was a bad ESC.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Jun 2010
561 Posts
Quote:
Na mate, First time Wing flyer, so wasnt going to put fpv gear on , just in case I crashed on take off.
It should be ok setup, they sell the "motor/ESC packages and the wings made for those batterys . I just think it was a bad ESC.
in my eyes this setup should never be advertised as an 4s setup unless you use a smaller prop. Using a cheap esc like this near its limitations for a longer period always goes bad.
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:49 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabazul View Post
in my eyes this setup should never be advertised as an 4s setup unless you use a smaller prop. Using a cheap esc like this near its limitations for a longer period always goes bad.
I dont think it was Advertised as such, Ritewing and ReadymadeRC sell the wing and you can buy the Stock motor/esc combo ( Doesnt say what is the best battery setup).
But in the Manual it says the plane was design to fit 2 * 3300 or 4000 4s in the bays, and I will say the battery fits snug as pie in the bay. So if the Manual say designed for those batterys , then the "stock motor/ESC " should handle it.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Eh sometimes ESC's just fail. Luckily it was after you landed. I had one do the same thing, except inflight. If everything else in your setup is ok, just measure amps to make sure you don't have a bad motor and replace the ESC and start flying again.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:27 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
i run that same setup on a 9x7.5 prop i pull 80 amps at WOT on the 60 amp esc i guess i should stop that but i have several flights with no problem
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
309 Posts
Quote:
I dont think it was Advertised as such, Ritewing and ReadymadeRC sell the wing and you can buy the Stock motor/esc combo ( Doesnt say what is the best battery setup).
But in the Manual it says the plane was design to fit 2 * 3300 or 4000 4s in the bays, and I will say the battery fits snug as pie in the bay. So if the Manual say designed for those batterys , then the "stock motor/ESC " should handle it.

If I was you I would get with Tim and Chris they are both standup guys, they will make it right.
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01