HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2012, 06:27 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
not the same .. Bluecor/ fanfold comes in a folded pack, 5-6 mm thickness .. see photo
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 06:56 PM
P. Seitz
United States, IA, Mechanicsville
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
My newest build 16" PT-19 Fanfold blue foam 37grams ready to fly. receiver AR6400L brick , motor ,and gear box from a 4-site . Prop GWS 4x4

Paul
seitz2c is offline Find More Posts by seitz2c
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:06 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy View Post
not the same .. Bluecor/ fanfold comes in a folded pack, 5-6 mm thickness .. see photo
ah ok. I saw some of that too. I'll get a case of it next time I'm out.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:22 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seitz2c View Post
My newest build 16" PT-19 Fanfold blue foam 37grams ready to fly. receiver AR6400L brick , motor ,and gear box from a 4-site . Prop GWS 4x4

Paul
sweet plane .. love to see more bluecor planes..
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:51 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
I am almost at the covering point of the build.. Nows the time for audience participation .. i need to choose a scheme... any ideas for the Cessna T-50??
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:23 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Quantock View Post
Early to the gym to avoid air traffic, third on the floor, throttle up...tail up, up elevator...more throttle...more up elevator......tail goes down, plane does not lift!
Instead, it scurries around the gym floor like it's looking for wayward rodents that might inhabit the school gym. Seemed to be going as fast as my other indoor slow flyers, but refused to lift.Bill
Could it be nose heavy? Or too much down thrust, maybe, or possibly both.

I've had that experience with a 200g triplane I made (there's a video somehwere). I just had way too much down thrust due to a high motor position, though the CG was about right. It scooted around on the floor at high speeds without lifting off, so I decided to chuck it - bad idea. It nose diived into the floor a few feet away. So, I figured out it was the thrust angle and pointed the motor up quite a bit (actually above horizontal). It then flew beautifully - straight into a basket ball net that hadn't been retracted into the ceiling. I've been meaning to fix it for a couple of years now.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:38 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,171 Posts
Paul
very nicely done.

Post an in-flight video.

We would all like to see the pretty planes people show off here in their natural element!
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy View Post
How much do these sell for in stores near you? Last time I checked here I think it was $36, which seems rather steep.

Nice plane you have there Paul.
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:04 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
I dont remember what it runs here as the stores dont carry the classic double sided bluecor...

i have been getting mine from friends and people that sell left overs or excess they have..
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:19 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
Thanks guys !

$36 may sound expensive but it's enough foam to build 40 or 50 micros with a lot of foam left over I've got Less than $5.00 in the PT-19 and thats including $2.00 for pilots .

Paul
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:23 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,171 Posts
$2 for the pilots? I'll take four!
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:11 PM
P. Seitz
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
The pilots can be purchased at parkflyerplastics.com these are the 1"size

Paul
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:22 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,171 Posts
Oh I've never had good results with clam shell people.

Yours looked like carved foam
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:24 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
Chasing invisible mice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
A friend did extensive work with leading edge slats, I think that's close, but his were on a .45 size sport plane, high wing, and were fixed about 3/4 inch above and forward of the LE of the wing. They were also slightly curved. They seemed to give more lift, but it would have been nice to eliminate them for other modes of flight.

I think yours will flatten out when the flaps are retracted, right?

However if it is a power problem, I learned from one of these sites how to measure thrust by hanging the plane nose down on a digital fish scale. You read the weight, then zero it, then firewall the throttle, and read again.
Thanks for the suggestions to get my Storch chasing rainbows instead of invisible mice (off the ground). I am intrigued with the scale method of thrust measurement but I don't know how much thrust my model needs or how to calculate required thrust. I have spoilerons but no flaps on my Storch. Spoilerons were not deployed when I was tying to take off. hope to try again this Friday evening with a more aggressive wing incidence.
Keep em flying!
Bill
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
Last edited by Bill Quantock; Feb 07, 2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:35 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
Chasing rainbows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Could it be nose heavy? Or too much down thrust, maybe, or possibly both.

I've had that experience with a 200g triplane I made (there's a video somehwere). I just had way too much down thrust due to a high motor position, though the CG was about right. It scooted around on the floor at high speeds without lifting off, so I decided to chuck it - bad idea. It nose diived into the floor a few feet away. So, I figured out it was the thrust angle and pointed the motor up quite a bit (actually above horizontal). It then flew beautifully - straight into a basket ball net that hadn't been retracted into the ceiling. I've been meaning to fix it for a couple of years now.
Andy2no,
Thanks for your suggestions. CG seems close to where my plan puts it and eyeballing the thrust line puts it pretty close to the datum line or slightly downwards. However, both suggestions are now on my suspect list.
I'll post after my next try.
Bill
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock