SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:44 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_Joe View Post
No, but all frsky receivers have combine PPM out... i feed this in TSLRS transmitter. Everything works but range on frsky in drastically reduced.
Hmm, I don't understand why you have used a FrSky rx with a UHF LRS?

Does the TSLRS not have its own rx's? But even so, 2.4g FrSky isnt going to rx anything from a UHF TX is it?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:01 AM
um, yea, I can make that crash
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Aug 2011
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hmm, I don't understand why you have used a FrSky rx with a UHF LRS?

Does the TSLRS not have its own rx's? But even so, 2.4g FrSky isnt going to rx anything from a UHF TX is it?
I think you've missed the point of what Farmer_Joe was trying 2.4Tx > 2.4Rx PPM out > TSLRS Tx > TSLRS Rx. In theory if your Rx outputs PPM then you don't need the FPVlongrange Repeater system in the middle.

Farmer_Joe: Maybe its just the proximity of the Rx to a high power Tx even though they are different frequencies thats causing the reduction in range you are seeing.
Wayno Complaino is online now Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:02 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Seems a bit over-kill in extra bits increasing the chances of equipment failure.

I've used an extended PPM cable from the RangeLink to a mast, and an AV cable from GS to goggles. Easier and probably much cheaper!
Your solution, although it may work for you, does not offer all the features/benefits of this system (which granted, may or may-not be of interest to you), so what you're doing is not a direct comparison. Also, extending the PPM signal any great length is generally not recommend.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=73
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:44 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson View Post
Your solution, although it may work for you, does not offer all the features/benefits of this system (which granted, may or may-not be of interest to you), so what you're doing is not a direct comparison. Also, extending the PPM signal any great length is generally not recommend.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=73
Yeah I thought the signal from ppm out to RL would be diminished, but even so, the RL puts out its full strength regardless of how weak or strong the signal comes into it. It's just like using a ten metre headphone extension cable, the sound down the other end was zero difference to using the headphones directly to the iPod.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:47 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino View Post
I think you've missed the point of what Farmer_Joe was trying 2.4Tx > 2.4Rx PPM out > TSLRS Tx > TSLRS Rx. In theory if your Rx outputs PPM then you don't need the FPVlongrange Repeater system in the middle.

Farmer_Joe: Maybe its just the proximity of the Rx to a high power Tx even though they are different frequencies thats causing the reduction in range you are seeing.
Ah yep, got it!

Still, unless you're going for a distance record it's a pretty negligible process don't you think? You are essentially trying to get another 1-2klm ontop of the TSLRS which seems pointless.

I can see it working well in ground FPV but air????
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:18 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I thought the signal from ppm out to RL would be diminished, but even so, the RL puts out its full strength regardless of how weak or strong the signal comes into it. It's just like using a ten metre headphone extension cable, the sound down the other end was zero difference to using the headphones directly to the iPod.
This is currently working for you, which is good to hear, but it's not recommended. The PPM signal is 'single-ended' (rather that differential) and the cable you're using is almost certainly not twisted either, both these facts mean using long cable runs will result in the signal becoming highly susceptible to interference from external sources, e.g. a transmitter.

The analogy of comparing it with an analogue audio signal is not applicable either, as were there noise on the audio signal you probably wouldn't notice it and even if you did, there's no consequence anyway. Any interference picked up by your digital extension cable and you're going down - or at least going into fail-safe before the interference goes and you recover.
Last edited by Ian Davidson; Apr 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:20 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Ah yep, got it!

Still, unless you're going for a distance record it's a pretty negligible process don't you think? You are essentially trying to get another 1-2klm ontop of the TSLRS which seems pointless.

I can see it working well in ground FPV but air????
It provides...
  • The ability to make any UHF TX system compatible with any radio i.e. it eliminates the "How do I connect my Spektrum/Futaba/Hitec radio to my EzUHF/DragonLink/TSLRS etc". With this unit, gone too is the potential requirement to unscrew the back from your radio and hunt down that elusive PPM single.

• It enables you to place your UHF TX in the best location possible for your surroundings (i.e. high up and/or away from local obstructions) to ensure its optimum performance.

• In enables you to put serious distance between your UHF TX and your sensitive video RX equipment.

• It enables you to use multiple radios to control different aspects of the same aircraft (e.g. one for the pilot and another for the camera person)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
thats Mr dutch to you
Australia, NSW, Jeremadra
Joined Mar 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch jones View Post
when do you expect to send your first batch guys?

i cant wait to get into the air with my uhf gear
i dont want to annoy just want to fly :P
dutch jones is offline Find More Posts by dutch jones
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:08 PM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch jones View Post
i dont want to annoy just want to fly :P
I intend to do a write-up on this device, but I believe they're available now
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:30 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Quote:
It provides...
  • The ability to make any UHF TX system compatible with any radio i.e. it eliminates the "How do I connect my Spektrum/Futaba/Hitec radio to my EzUHF/DragonLink/TSLRS etc". With this unit, gone too is the potential requirement to unscrew the back from your radio and hunt down that elusive PPM single.

• It enables you to place your UHF TX in the best location possible for your surroundings (i.e. high up and/or away from local obstructions) to ensure its optimum performance.

• In enables you to put serious distance between your UHF TX and your sensitive video RX equipment.

• It enables you to use multiple radios to control different aspects of the same aircraft (e.g. one for the pilot and another for the camera person)
This all makes so much more sense now that my anaesthetic and morphine have worn off! (knee surgery yesterday for the 6th time)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:35 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
So, from my DSX9 I transmit to a repeater about 50m away from myself that has a DSX9 compatible rx that has PPM out, and from that ppm its picked up by the Rangelink PPM in and then tx'd to the Rangelink rx onboard the plane?

If I've got it right, it sits well with me but is it hard to set up? As in channeling ect?
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined May 2011
2 Posts
Now in stock and ready for shipping.
John Jensen is offline Find More Posts by John Jensen
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:23 PM
thats Mr dutch to you
Australia, NSW, Jeremadra
Joined Mar 2011
276 Posts
Waiting for mine to be shipped
dutch jones is offline Find More Posts by dutch jones
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:24 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,688 Posts
Quote:
So, from my DSX9 I transmit to a repeater about 50m away from myself that has a DSX9 compatible rx that has PPM out, and from that ppm its picked up by the Rangelink PPM in and then tx'd to the Rangelink rx onboard the plane?

If I've got it right, it sits well with me but is it hard to set up? As in channeling ect?
Almost right. An 'amended' version below...

"So, from my DSX9 I transmit to a repeater about 50m away from myself that has a DSX9 compatible RX. I take the individual channel outputs from the DSX9 RX and plug them into repeater unit. I then take the repeater unit's PPM output and connect this to the Rangelink TX"
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:29 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Almost right. An 'amended' version below...

"So, from my DSX9 I transmit to a repeater about 50m away from myself that has a DSX9 compatible RX. I take the individual channel outputs from the DSX9 RX and plug them into repeater unit. I then take the repeater unit's PPM output and connect this to the Rangelink TX"
Now that DOES make sense!