New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2014, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by paulhunter
United Kingdom, England, Chester
Joined Jun 2009
154 Posts
Build Log
Cambrian 1/6 Scale BF109 E-3

After finishing my BT Spitty my dad and I have been doing a bit of tinkering with a few models that needed a bit of winter maintenance but needed to start on a new build.

I have a 1/5.8 scale turbine Gloster Meteor in the build queue but I am waiting on some bits which will be here in the next couple of months so need something to fill my time so I decided to start on a kit which I have had for 2 years now form a UK based company called Cambrian models.
The model is the large scale BF109 which is 1/6 scale so not actually that large compared to some models but perfect to pair up with my BT Spitty.

I made a start today on the fuzz and it builds fairly quickly.

A few pics are below of todays progress. I did get the other half of the fuzz built but didnít take a picture. I am hoping for a bit more play time with the 109 tomorrow.

It will be powered by a DLE20 RA which is overkill for this size model but I have a throttle stick and I like the rear carb and exhaust to fit neatly in the cowl and being petrol it is easier to clear coat and not worry about glow fuel!

The retracts will be eflite 85 or 81 degree 60-120 units once I can find a answer for the real retraction angle for the 109 and the oleos will be from hobbyking. I have sourced some BF109G wheels form the hangar 9 model so not technically scale for the 'E' model but they are thin and fit in the wheel well.

Colour scheme will be a Galland scheme of some sort but not 100% decided yet.
paulhunter is offline Find More Posts by paulhunter
Last edited by paulhunter; May 17, 2015 at 03:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:03 PM
Joined Jun 2009
154 Posts
A bit more progress today with the 109.

We unbolted the DLE20 RA from my BT P-51 so I could get the measurements for the bulkhead position as this kit was originally designed for a 2 stroke glow so a lot shorter than the DLE20.

New bigger bulkhead was made and the box assembled and fitted in position giving the correct length from spinner back plate.
It was strengthened where necessary with triangle stock and glued with 30 minute epoxy.

While waiting for the epoxy to dry we glued the leading edges on the stab and fin with aliphatic resin and left to set overnight.
Also the bowden cable outers were routed through the rear of the fuzz.

Think that will be the last day in the workshop for 2014.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by w1nd6urfa
Too windy to fly? Lets surf
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2008
581 Posts
Subscribed, always keen to see 109 builds!
w1nd6urfa is offline Find More Posts by w1nd6urfa
Old Dec 24, 2014, 03:10 AM
Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Joined Jun 2007
597 Posts
Count me in
rupert the bear is online now Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Dec 26, 2014, 02:06 AM
Find More Posts by pandknz
Australia, QLD, Mango Hill
Joined Jun 2014
66 Posts
this looks like a nice build, I'll come along for the ride
pandknz is offline Find More Posts by pandknz
Old Dec 26, 2014, 04:19 AM
Joined Jun 2009
154 Posts
Merry Christmas to everyone and hope you all got some good modelling presents :-)

I was lucky to get this german aircraft painting guide complete with paint chips from my parents so I will be able to get a exact match for the 109. Can't wait till I am at the paint stage :-)
Old Dec 28, 2014, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by larry b
Elizabeth City NC
Joined Dec 2009
66 Posts
I am a big fan of 109E's also, just finished my 1/4 scale model. It's got 8 flights on it now and so far I'm really happy with it. Keep up the good work!
Larry B
larry b is offline Find More Posts by larry b
Last edited by larry b; Dec 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 03:56 AM
Joined Jun 2009
154 Posts
Hi Larry,

I am a big fan of most of the German stuf but I think the 109E and the 262 are right at the top.
Which kit is your 109 or is it a own design.
Post a pic of you have one.

Cheers

Paul
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:24 PM
Elizabeth City NC
Joined Dec 2009
66 Posts
Hi Paul,
My 109E is a true 1/4 scale model that I did in glass and foam, I did my own molds and am currently selling kits of the thing. I am having trouble posting photo's on this site but if you E-mail me I'll be more than happy to send you photo's that way, I'm at botsfordlarry@gmail.com , keep up the good work!

Larry
Old Jan 03, 2015, 02:44 AM
Find More Posts by bullworm
United States, NJ
Joined Apr 2012
273 Posts
i love e models, what kit is it
bullworm is online now Find More Posts by bullworm
Old Jan 06, 2015, 03:00 AM
Joined Jun 2009
154 Posts
Larry will send you a email later.

bullworm- the kit if from Cambrian in the UK. They make a full range of fun fighters and they released this 109 and a mk22/24 spitty in 1/6 scale.

No progress with the 109 as I now have the flu so staying indoors. Over the xmas period I did receive a parcel with the Oleos in and a few other bits and bobs.
Old Jan 06, 2015, 07:03 AM
Find More Posts by rcflyer79
United States, CA, Murrieta
Joined Jan 2010
96 Posts
Hi Paul, can you list the website where you purchased your ME109? Do they ship over the pond? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhunter View Post
Larry will send you a email later.

bullworm- the kit if from Cambrian in the UK. They make a full range of fun fighters and they released this 109 and a mk22/24 spitty in 1/6 scale.

No progress with the 109 as I now have the flu so staying indoors. Over the xmas period I did receive a parcel with the Oleos in and a few other bits and bobs.
rcflyer79 is online now Find More Posts by rcflyer79
Old Jan 06, 2015, 09:55 AM
Elizabeth City NC
Joined Dec 2009
66 Posts
Hi Bullworm,
It is not as kit, I did my own molds for the glass fuse and had Coby at FlyingFoam do some CNC foam wing cores for me. The only reason I had Coby do the cores is that I am selling kits so if you were to purchase a kit you would have to order the wings and tail from FlyingFoam.
I have been flying a 1/4 scale 109G-10 for the past 4 years and wanted a 1/4 scale 109E-4 because nobody else has one I'll be more than happy to send you some photo's if you E-mail me at my home address,
Larry B
Old Jan 06, 2015, 11:26 AM
Joined Jun 2009
154 Posts
rc flyer-
this is the direct link to the 109 kit http://www.cambrianplanes.co.uk/ours...rge-Scale.html

it is showing as out of stock but it would be worth emailing and checking on availability as they may cut you a kit to order.

Hopefully some more progress towards the end of this week and next week.

Cheers
Old Jan 06, 2015, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by rcflyer79
United States, CA, Murrieta
Joined Jan 2010
96 Posts
Thanks so much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhunter View Post
rc flyer-
this is the direct link to the 109 kit http://www.cambrianplanes.co.uk/ours...rge-Scale.html

it is showing as out of stock but it would be worth emailing and checking on availability as they may cut you a kit to order.

Hopefully some more progress towards the end of this week and next week.

Cheers
rcflyer79 is online now Find More Posts by rcflyer79