Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by hiljoball
Canada, BC, Strathcona
Joined Jul 2011
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by genghiskt View Post
Hi John,

As for the Weather mark, does the "zone" or 4 boats length still apply?

Thanks.
Yes, the 4 length zone applied when the two boats entered the zone on stbd as in R 18.2.b and it also applied to leeward boat when the wind flicked the sails over his center line in R18.3.

The main thing to note for this incident is that when a boat tacks inside the zone while the other boat is fetching the mark, the boat that tacks does not gain mark room, and only gets the rights of R 11 W/L and even that is limited by R 18.3.

For additional reading, see my article on 'The Weather Mark'

http://crya.ca/information/rules-tactics/

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by denisoni1
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Mar 2014
138 Posts
Tactic downwind?

Any suggestions to get someone off your tail on a downwind run? Is it a matter of zig zagging? Do I zig port or starboard for a better right of way advantage?
denisoni1 is online now Find More Posts by denisoni1
Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:43 PM
Canada, BC, Strathcona
Joined Jul 2011
694 Posts
Going downwind, it is hard to get rid of an attacking boat. Remember that port still has to keep clear of stbd, and if on the same tack (gybe), the boat clear astern has to keep clear of the boat in front, and if they establish an overlap from astern and to leeward they are subject to R17 and proper course limitations.

The best strategy is to protect the inside lane so that you are inside boat with mark room at the down wind mark.

John
Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by denisoni1
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Mar 2014
138 Posts
So if I maneuver right momentarily go to starboard tack, without overlap, forcing the attacking downwind boat to divert starboard, and for me to go downwind again... that should do it? Or maybe I leap-frog the guy to the line? ahhahaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
Going downwind, it is hard to get rid of an attacking boat. Remember that port still has to keep clear of stbd, and if on the same tack (gybe), the boat clear astern has to keep clear of the boat in front, and if they establish an overlap from astern and to leeward they are subject to R17 and proper course limitations.

The best strategy is to protect the inside lane so that you are inside boat with mark room at the down wind mark.

John
denisoni1 is online now Find More Posts by denisoni1
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by Earl Boebert
Joined Mar 2007
272 Posts
I have a question about one of the cases in the (brand new) RC case book. I've attached jpgs of the relevant pages. You may have to click on the attachments twice to be able to enlarge them for readability.

The full document can be downloaded from

http://www.radiosailing.org/document...nterpretations

I'm mightily confused by the phrase on the second page:

"Mark-room in this situation includes room for L to sail to the mark, but not room for L to tack to round the mark as she is neither an inside windward boat nor a boat that will be fetching the mark after the tack."

I presume that "tack to round the mark" refers to position 3 for L in the diagram. I further presume that L is not fetching the mark because she would have to tack again to round. So that is clear enough. What I don't understand is why being an "inside windward boat" gives a different definition of mark-room.

Cheers,

Earl
Earl Boebert is offline Find More Posts by Earl Boebert
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:20 AM
Canada, BC, Strathcona
Joined Jul 2011
694 Posts
The answer lies in the definition of Mark Room. and I have underlined the important sentence.

Mark-Room Room for a boat to leave a mark on the required side. Also,
(a) room to sail to the mark when her proper course is to sail close
to it, and
(b) room to round the mark as necessary to sail the course.
However, mark-room for a boat does not include room to tack unless she is
overlapped inside and to windward of the boat required to give mark-room
and she would be fetching the mark after her tack.

Now look at this diagram. Two boats are approaching the weather mark on port tack, overlapped with Yellow to weather, and inside and has mark room. The definition (underlined) says that mark room includes room for Yellow to tack as about P4. As a boat turns, its stern moves the opposite way. So Yellow could hit Green as she starts to tack. So the definition of Mark Room says that Green must give Yellow enough room to tack - as long as Yellow will be able to fetch the mark after the tack.

John
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by Earl Boebert
Joined Mar 2007
272 Posts
OK, I missed that in the definition. I don't understand the rationale for that rule, but that's a discussion for another time. Thanks for straightening me out.

Cheers,

Earl
Earl Boebert is offline Find More Posts by Earl Boebert