HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:07 AM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
Help!
PHX settings for typical outrunner

Hey, Castle: I know there's a number of posts on this but many of them are quite old and I want current info. Are you still recommending low advance for outrunners (in this case A30-28S and 3A PHX25, I've updated to the latest 1.56 firmware). If so why not make it default setting? I gotta believe the vast majority of motors these days are outrunners. Or maybe a sticky "optimum outrunner settings"?

Thanks-

John
jfv61 is offline Find More Posts by jfv61
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:11 PM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
crickets chirping...

FWIW, upgrading to 1.56 and setting my PHX25 to low advance solved the issue I was having (4 flashes, supposedly prop strike but this was on the ground just doing WOT amp testing). I'd still like to hear from Castle on what the recommended setting is. It is the holidays so I'll try to be patient...
Old Dec 29, 2007, 01:15 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
From my experience a lot of outrunners will run ok with the default settings. If you run into trouble the first thing to try in Low Advance.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 02, 2008, 06:57 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I'd asked (Bernie) at one point whether a brief list of settings for different outrunner setups could be posted here. Nothing "sanctioned", but perhaps what each of us has found to work best.

I use CC ESC's almost exclusively (I'm up to about 30 of them!!), but I do have a little more trouble with startup than I do with my small collection of older Hacker and Jeti ESC's (which can't be programmed)..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:17 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
All Castle Creations speed controllers provide dynamic timing advance. This means the advance setting changes with speed and load on the motor to maximize the efficiency of the motor as all speeds. Changing the timing advance setting lowers or raises the range in which timing advance moves. The advance settings actually overlap quite a bit.

Generally, outrunner motors work best with high timing advance. However, one of the motor characteristics CC ESCS compensate for is motor inductance. The high inductance of outrunners pulls timing advance up. This means that for most medium to small outrunners 'Standard' timing advance works well. With these the only reason to lower timing is if the motor is running too hot or if it starts making noise above half throttle. The noise means the ESC is loosing sync with the motor.

With larger outrunners we recommend 'Low' timing advance. The larger the outrunner the higher its inductance. These larger motors inductance pulls our ‘Low’ timing advance up to the higher timing advance these motors want without having the advance get so high that the ESC can no longer sync the motor.

Hope this helps.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is online now Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:18 PM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
Thanks Bernie for the detailed response! Can you be more specific on what you consider large vs. small (examples?) and how about make it a sticky?
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:27 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
The difference between medium/small is somewhat subjective as different motors behave somewhat differently. When I wrote the above I was thinking about AXI motors where anything below the 4100 sized would be medium/small, 4100 and up would be large.

However, if you have a large 2800 series motor that makes noise over half throttle lower the advance. It is also a good idea, if you like to fiddle with things, is to change timing between 'Low' and 'Standard' and see if full throttle produces more or less RPM.

To make it easy, as long as the motor is behaving OK don't change timing. If it is making noise at higher throttle settings or running too hot lower timing.

Bernie
Bernie Wolfard is online now Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard