HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2014, 05:32 PM
Multirotor geek
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Mar 2013
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Did you go ahead and get the Cobra 4120-710kv motors?
I didn't see the rest of the thread after I recommended them until I ordered them, found Questech's video when I was searching for ESC's to use with them on Youtube .

Fortunately, they weren't horribly expensive on MontoRC site, I bought the last 4 they had, Questech got the others.

Clyde
kenpoprofessor is online now Find More Posts by kenpoprofessor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2014, 06:14 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
I don't think you went wrong with them. They are quite powerful and just a matter of finding something to work with them. It will still fly even if you don't flash the esc but would be more responsive if you did. The HW esc like he is using may get harder to find but there is still other 80A out there.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Jan 12, 2014, 06:35 PM
Multirotor geek
Joined Mar 2013
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
I don't think you went wrong with them. They are quite powerful and just a matter of finding something to work with them. It will still fly even if you don't flash the esc but would be more responsive if you did. The HW esc like he is using may get harder to find but there is still other 80A out there.
Yep, found some Mystery and some Aeolian that were reasonable. Not sure about Hobbymate, can't find a lot of information on them. See some Hobbywing Pentiums as well, but they're pretty spendy.

Not looking for performance, this quad is for lift and sit only, it's an 8lb AUW with everything I want on it (running NAZA lite w/GPS, may switch it over to the other NAZA V1 I have) . The Iflight 2814's with 12x3.8s weren't doing it well, they struggled a bit

Clyde
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:55 PM
Joined Sep 2013
496 Posts
Hey Guys... Just to clarify I want to go over a couple of things that may save you some anguish.

First of all Ken, I'm not sure if we in fact have the same motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398
Did you go ahead and get the Cobra 4120-710kv motors?
I have the 4120-22 which is a 430KV not 710KV.

So if we are not talking the same motor, my test results may not apply.

I have never had problems with a motor before purchasing these Cobras, so this ESC trial and error has never been required.

So whereas I think this motor has a lot of potential, and the bearings are supposedly great, and the build quality looks very good... they are peculiar to me in that they didn't work with my HobbyWing ESCs right out of the box.

So if I were you, I wouldn't do what I did... assume because an ESC has gotten Great reviews and many people use it successfully, that it will work with this motor. I went out and purchased 9 ESCs for my build expecting life to be good

What I've found is that this motor is picky about what ESCs it wants to work with!

The 4120-22 Did NOT work with my HobbyWing Pentium 80A correctly Before or after I flashed it.

Repeat - The HW 80A did not work correctly out of the box with the 4120-22.

The motor had very bad pulsing at low RPM, continuous cracking sounds, and cutouts. I believe these to be symptoms of a timing problem.

So please be cautious with your ESC choice. Just purchase 1 at a time and test it before committing to the full build quantity.

FYI I also found that the 60A ESCs behaved better than the 80As (for a reason beyond my pay grade).

So please, just be careful

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor View Post
Yep, found some Mystery and some Aeolian that were reasonable. Not sure about Hobbymate, can't find a lot of information on them. See some Hobbywing Pentiums as well, but they're pretty spendy.

Not looking for performance, this quad is for lift and sit only, it's an 8lb AUW with everything I want on it (running NAZA lite w/GPS, may switch it over to the other NAZA V1 I have) . The Iflight 2814's with 12x3.8s weren't doing it well, they struggled a bit

Clyde
questech is online now Find More Posts by questech
Last edited by questech; Jan 12, 2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 02:11 PM
Multirotor geek
Joined Mar 2013
809 Posts
Got my motors today, they're friggin' huge. I really underestimated the size of these things for sure. Anyways, now on to the hunt for some decent ESCs that can handle these monsters . I have a feeling they will certainly do what I need them to do, they're almost double the size of the 2814's I have on the quad now

Clyde
Old Jan 13, 2014, 02:29 PM
Joined Sep 2013
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor View Post
Got my motors today, they're friggin' huge. I really underestimated the size of these things for sure. Anyways, now on to the hunt for some decent ESCs that can handle these monsters . I have a feeling they will certainly do what I need them to do, they're almost double the size of the 2814's I have on the quad now

Clyde
Please share your experiences
questech is online now Find More Posts by questech
Old Jan 13, 2014, 05:47 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,658 Posts
actually thought you guys had the same motors...oops

the 710kv spec would make it difficult to run on 6s because of high rpms but they are still powerful on 4s just draw higher current. Ecalc pic is just for reference
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Last edited by pug398; Jan 14, 2014 at 06:59 PM.