HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:06 PM
Joined Jun 2008
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackleberry View Post
Tom,

It's not a moot point, because we're not asking if it has the capability already--we're requesting that it be added. It would be a very simple firmware change.

Exposure lock isn't about getting every frame of video 'perfectly' exposed. It's about allowing the user (who knows best) to tell the camera what 'perfectly' exposed is. If I'm filming the ground, I don't care if the sky is blown out--allowing it to be blown out is the 'right' thing to do in that case. Expoure lock is a very simple way for the user to communicate this desire to the camera. We're probably talking about a 30-second shot here. Having part of it over-exposed is much preferrable to having the whole thing ruined by the camera incorrectly deciding what to expose for by itself--and doing so in 4 or 8 large and very visible steps at that.

And no, exposure lock doesn't require a high dynamic range sensor or any other change to the Mobius' hardware. It's a simple firmware change that could no doubt easily be included.
I am no code writer, but am a fan of the KK 2 fc`s and RC911 and Steveis are constantly making similar type changes in the firmware to the KK 2 fc`s that make them so much better.......
N3SHXX is online now Find More Posts by N3SHXX
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:20 PM
Spain, AL, Marbella
Joined Sep 2014
13 Posts
Most pro videographers use manual exposure extensively which is for all intents and purposes the same as exposure lock. Set it and forget it. http://multimedia.journalism.berkele...tips/exposure/
So that would be awesome if that could be implemented on this already amazing camera.
Mobius Head is offline Find More Posts by Mobius Head
Last edited by Mobius Head; Oct 05, 2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:43 PM
United States, MA, Worcester
Joined Jun 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Heh. At least you didn't try that with a $500 GoPro. For future reference, you can fry pretty much any USB device by feeding it more than 5V. The presence of a USB connector implies that the device expects regulated 5V power.

As long as you're having to buy a new VTX, you might as well get one that runs off 5V too and then you can power both it and the mobius from the same 5V BEC.
Any preferences for a 5v BEC? I've been thinking about it. I shouldn't even have to power the Mobius at all correct? How long is the battery good for? As long as there's video out I should be good to go? Depending on battery longevity? Thanks again...the more I think about it the more pissed I get. *shakes head* DF. lol
actionj123 is offline Find More Posts by actionj123
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:57 PM
Joined Jul 2014
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionj123 View Post
Any preferences for a 5v BEC? I've been thinking about it. I shouldn't even have to power the Mobius at all correct? How long is the battery good for? As long as there's video out I should be good to go? Depending on battery longevity? Thanks again...the more I think about it the more pissed I get. *shakes head* DF. lol
Well, if you had read the first 8 posts in this thread as the title suggests you would have known both that the camera requires no more then 5V DC for external power and how long the battery can generally be expected to last during recording. I sincerely suggest that you read them now before trying to wire up another camera (same goes for the manual to whatever VTX you end up buying). If you learn that lesson (RTFM), then I figure it's money well spent.

I would recommend any 5V switching BEC that can deliver 2A or more of current. The mobius itself needs ~500ma. How much the VTX requires depends. Hobbyking sells lots of them. You don't need one of the fancy (and heavy ones).
I use this one:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...arehouse_.html

It's small and light and has foil shielding and a small ferrite ring. Works great to power my mobius, vtx, and board camera.

I prefer to have the mobius powered in this way so that I don't have to worry about keeping it charged.
jackleberry is offline Find More Posts by jackleberry
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:54 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,703 Posts
Quote:
Tom,

[B]FWIW what this user is asking for could be solved by an auto-exposure lock or exposure weighting options, neither of which require either a higher-dynamic-range sensor or are beyond the capabilities of the hardware. I'm sure that you're justified somewhat in your hostility and lack of patience, but I feel like you are letting it cloud your judgement. I (and I'm sure, many others) are smart enough to realize the hardware does, in fact, have limitations and that it won't be shooting 4K or 1080 @ 120 FPS just from a firmware change. But not everything is as impossible as you seem to think. Many of these requests are legitmate issues with practical solutions--and are far from new problems in the world of photography (which, I suspect, you don't have as much experience with as the people you're often dismissing).

If you don't care about these issues, that's fine. If I were in your situation, I'd just ignore the post. But unless you know for a fact that something is impossible, I think you should restrain your contempt.
So you know the hardware well enough to assume that FW is controlling everything the camera can do? You're entitled to that opinion, but unless you know for a fact this is the case, I suggest you don't assume how simple it is or that FW can control everything the camera does (which it can't!). The CMOS imager is the "camera", and the FW (via the DSP chip, which also has it's own built-in controller with limited access by FW), can only work with what those key chips allow it to access. If you know that much about the specific hardware in this camera and how the firmware can do all these "simple" things, post the details for all to see. The developer monitors this thread, so maybe you can educate him.

I'll not comment further, but FWIW, I'm 70 years old and have been involved in amateur photography for about 50 years. So don't play the "you don't have any idea what is being talked about" card!

Any further discussion about this and the thread will shut down to further comment until something new about what the camera can do is available. In the interim, feel free to resume further discussion in the Mobius Owners thread.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 05, 2014, 06:35 PM
Joined Jul 2014
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
So you know the hardware well enough to assume that FW is controlling everything the camera can do? You're entitled to that opinion, but unless you know for a fact this is the case, I suggest you don't assume how simple it is or that FW can control everything the camera does (which it can't!). The CMOS imager is the "camera", and the FW (via the DSP chip, which also has it's own built-in controller with limited access by FW), can only work with what those key chips allow it to access. If you know that much about the specific hardware in this camera and how the firmware can do all these "simple" things, post the details for all to see. The developer monitors this thread, so maybe you can educate him.

I'll not comment further, but FWIW, I'm 70 years old and have been involved in amateur photography for about 50 years. So don't play the "you don't have any idea what is being talked about" card!

Any further discussion about this and the thread will shut down to further comment until something new about what the camera can do is available. In the interim, feel free to resume further discussion in the Mobius Owners thread.
You can claim to have all the experience in the world, but your apparent confusion on what auto exposure lock involves tells a different story. I don't want to press the issue any further, as your position on the matter is quite clear, but I perhaps I've assumed to much in discussing AE lock.

Allow me to attempt to explain it again, so that you can see how simple it really is.

All an auto-exposure lock function needs to do is (temporarily) disable auto exposure functionality. That's it. The hardest part of implementing it is deciding what button (combination?) to toggle the AE Lock with and what (if any) indication to give the user when it's enabled. It requires nothing more of the CMOS or the DSP. It's just a matter of temporarily inhibiting changes to the exposure!

Yes, these imaging systems do in fact support manual exposure on the hardware level. Give me the code and the documentation and I'll add the feature for you.

Maybe the developer also reads your (unwarranted) dismissal of the value of this feature and therefore doesn't bother thinking about how to implement it. Make no mistake about it, though, having AE Lock would take the Mobius up to the level of actually being usful in 'pro' settings. Surely a good selling point. Just think, instead of telling people with exposure issues to stuff it all the time, you'd be able to tell them that there's an AE Lock feature to help them get exactly the exposure they want!

Obviously manual exposure doesn't make sense with the mobius as there's no screen to preview and not enough buttons to adjust it. But AE Lock makes perfect sense and is a perfectly reasonable solution to a very real problem (the impossibility, as you well know, of the camera's AE algorithm always guessing right).

Anyway, you clearly don't want to give any thought to this (or many other practical suggestions), so this is the last I'll say on the matter.
jackleberry is offline Find More Posts by jackleberry
Old Oct 05, 2014, 07:12 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,703 Posts
This thread is closed temporarily and will be re-opened soon with new information about the Mobius for ongoing on-topic discussion. In the interim, if the first 8 posts here and the thread search tool does not address any issues you may have, you can post here for help.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 21, 2014 at 09:29 AM.
Closed Thread