HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
FlyLine

We are not looking to convert those who fly untethered planes to fly only in our system. We understand the love and passion for that kind of flying. FlyLine is a NEW fun way to fly indoors/outdoors, combat in mid-air, race, stunts, 3D, etc. Those interested can contact us directly and we will make sure you understand fully the play pattern of our products, enjoy them and even participate in focus groups. We will consider free samples of exisiting and future products.
rdager is offline Find More Posts by rdager
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:53 AM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
To RDAger

Hi. This has really caught my interest. I was thinking about experimenting with tethered RC. But you've got it on the market so that will make it easier.

Questions:
1. Where is your company located?
2. Can we purchase the expansion pack from Walmart as well?
3. How about a larger scale of airplane, say, 36"?
4. How many planes can be on the tether line at once?

Russ
Russ The Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Russ The Flyer
Last edited by Russ The Flyer; Nov 05, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:48 PM
Mad scientist..Tim Taylorish.
Joined Oct 2012
21 Posts
haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y View Post
In another word, this plane can only fly circle?

Edmond
Really isnt that all we do anyways in RC other than tossing in some other maneuvers. lol.

Im buying a set to mess around on lunch break with my buddy (wattscookin "chris") looks like fun, a control line where you dont have to hold on to the handle and get dizzy operating the elevator. Fun concept!
wattscookin rawb is offline Find More Posts by wattscookin rawb
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Russ,

Our company is based in Miami, FL and right now we have only the 4 normal models that you see in those sizes. Instead of going bigger, we will actually be going smaller with a micro line that is set to be released for next year.

The expansion pack is a toys r us exclusive item, but if you don't have a TRU near your house, you can always order it from their website.

If you are using the shortest line (3'-4') I would recommend no more than 2 planes on the pole at once, but to be honest, the max is probably about 4, but you will be running into each other quite a bit. The longer lines can comfortably support 3-5 planes, and we have a user video on our youtube channel of 3 planes flying simultaneously.

wattscookin, I would love to hear about your experience with the plane. keep me posted.
FlyLineRC is offline Find More Posts by FlyLineRC
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:52 AM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattscookin rawb View Post
Really isnt that all we do anyways in RC other than tossing in some other maneuvers. lol.
Hey, I resent that remark!
I do ovals too.
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:34 AM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
Ok. So I went to Walmart and purchased one. We have 3 Walmarts in our area. Two or them sell the plane for $89. But I found one in another Walmart store for $79. It's all assembled and in the living room for morning to arrive so I can fly it without waking up my bride.

I'm planning on buying the other kit too. Is Toys R Us the only place I can purchase the other kit?

I'm hoping I can start something here with this. I'm an AMA member and an a member of our local club. It should be a hoot to fly it at our flying field.

Russ
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:17 AM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
Alright. After I finished the last post I went to ToysRUs and got the expansion pack. No shipping fees on anything over $49. So now I'm just waiting for it to get here.

I set the plane up in my living room but it's too long. You've got a 4'string plus a foot of airplane. Not quite enough space so I'll have to take it outside. I'll use the 9' string.

I noticed that for use of the 9' string the instructions call for 18' of space. That should read 20'.

Russ
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:29 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
Flying the Flyline RC

Hi again. I'm bringing you a quick report on the flight of my plane.

First off, I don't like the spring loaded throttle control. It's hard to use this type when I'm so used to a sticky friction control.

Second the motor doesn't have the power for outdoor flying. When it's a tad windy the plane tends to lose it in a wing over when into the wind. You'll see what I mean in the video.

Third the landing gear should be pre-bent forward so as not to tend to tip over on its nose.

Fourth the plane is really nose heavy. You guys who manufacture this thing ought to consider making sure they're balanced when they are sent to market.

Other than this I had a ball with it. I was at our AMAA Flying field. I had some of the guys from the club there. Needless to say they got a kick out of it. I told my flying buddy I have the expansion pack coming and we could practice putting on a combat show. Everyone there thought it was a great idea for our fun fly's. Anyway, here's a video of me flying the little rascal.

Russ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVe2I...1&feature=plcp

Ummmmmm ... Looks like you'll havta click on the url instead of the picture. Sorry.

Russ
Last edited by Russ The Flyer; Nov 17, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:13 AM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
Thanks for the report, Russ, they sure are sturdy.

Have you tried opening the transmitter and removing the throttle spring? I did this with all my AA/Silverlit planes.
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:41 AM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy View Post
Thanks for the report, Russ, they sure are sturdy.

Have you tried opening the transmitter and removing the throttle spring? I did this with all my AA/Silverlit planes.
Hi CC. And, you're welcome.

I haven't done that, yet. But it's gonna happen. I just wished they'd take 'em out in the first place.

To FlyLineRC folks: What is the COG on this plane? It's not shown in the instruction booklet.

Russ
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Russ,

Thank you so much- we love the video!

You're correct about the wind - the planes weight less than 1lb, so they definitely perform better in places with calmer conditions.

-Justin

edit: Russ, not sure if I missed your question or if you added it after I posted, but the COG is different on each plane. I can get you a more detailed answer given time to speak with the designer.
Last edited by FlyLineRC; Nov 19, 2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Answer question
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:49 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLineRC View Post
Russ,

Thank you so much- we love the video!

You're correct about the wind - the planes weight less than 1lb, so they definitely perform better in places with calmer conditions.

-Justin

edit: Russ, not sure if I missed your question or if you added it after I posted, but the COG is different on each plane. I can get you a more detailed answer given time to speak with the designer.
Hi Justin. Thanx for the feedback. I'll be waiting. But I'm betting the COG will be 25% of the wing chord.

Russ
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:23 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,110 Posts
reminds me of a tethered helicopter I had when growing up... I loved that thing to death.

Sub'd

RF
Red Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ The Flyer View Post
Hi Justin. Thanx for the feedback. I'll be waiting. But I'm betting the COG will be 25% of the wing chord.

Russ
Russ,

The COG actually varies based on the shape of the wing, with the elliptical COG being further toward the tailing edge and the trapezoidal COG falling closer to 33% of the chord- more toward the front.

You'll notice that the Knight Ghost and Spitfire use the eliptical, while the Blazing Babe and Shark Hunter use the trapezoidal wing patterns.

I appreciate your question- it even gave me the opportunity to learn a bit more about our planes.

Thanks

-Justin
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:03 PM
It flies or it dies
Deville, Louisiana
Joined Sep 2008
835 Posts
Hi Justin. It would be nice if the manufacturer would find the best COG for each type of plane.

In this post I would like for the designer to remember that this is, essentially, a control line type plane. Any control line type plane, whether it is UC or thethered need the inboard wing to be about 2% longer than the outboard wing. That would eliminate the planes natural tendencies to flop over in a wing over maneuver. So for these existing planes I highly recommend that a small weight be put on the outboard wing to eliminate this problem.

Now for the complaint. I bought this kit and got the kit without the base. (Expansion Pak) Neither of these planes will do a loop. I might be able to pull it off by doing a wing over then full down to fly it inverted. Also I noticed that none of the people that were shown in the video did any loops. Just wing overs. Just thought you'd like to know about that. You need somebody to test fly one or two of these to see if they will do what the advertisement says they will do. They won't loop.

Russ