HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:02 PM
_
Joined Aug 2012
36 Posts
Discussion
Cheranovsky highly tapered planks

The BICh-21 racer and its predecessor the BICh-20 "Pioneer" were tailless aircraft built in the USSR just prior to the second world war. They're very stylish little planes (especially for Soviet ones) so naturally I thought about building a flying model.

Name: bich21-1.gif
Views: 159
Size: 131.0 KB
Description: Cheranovsky racer, the BICh-21.

But look at the wing taper. Tip stalls could be a real problem. So I sketched a 1 meter wingspan BICh-21 in Ranis to see what could be done.

Name: horti_sin3.png
Views: 84
Size: 59.9 KB
Description: 12 degrees of twist at the tips, yikes!

Took about 12 degrees of twist at the wingtips to get a sin cubed gamma distribution. Stability margin is decent at 10%. The only way to ensure proverse yaw is by using only the most outboard part of the trailing edge as roll input. You're going to have adverse yaw if you use full-span elevons for roll.

Name: horti_proverse.png
Views: 76
Size: 61.1 KB
Description: Proverse yaw, if only the outboard surfaces are used.

So what happens as it approaches stall? Looks like it should stall in the center of the wing. Even if you try to stall the tips first by holding the outer "aileron" surfaces neutral, maximum cl occurs inboard. So that's good, at least. This does not appear to be a candidate for crazy 3D-style control surface throws.

So what do y'all think? Don't worry, I'm still noodling around with an electric Manatee too. I build way more airplanes on paper than I fly. Hey, it's still a hobby, right?
g_munu is offline Find More Posts by g_munu
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:16 PM
_
Joined Aug 2012
36 Posts
Chuck glider is a success!

Name: bich21.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 239.5 KB
Description:

Directional stability is fine. At this scale, it doesn't want to tip stall that badly, although it exhibits "pecking" if trimmed to fly too slowly.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:58 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,690 Posts
So the next steep is going to be built up, bagged or molded? That was a quick turnaround from software to tossing across the yard. Should be a great looking ship.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:30 PM
_
Joined Aug 2012
36 Posts
Thanks to the vertical tail, I dont think adverse yaw as as much of an issue. I flung the heck out of that cardboard glider and it behaved alright with less twist. Hopefully the pecking will go away with a real airfoil (and maybe an upper surface trip).

The original had composite wooden wings sheeted with plywood/phenolic "shpon". May as well take the same approach for the model.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:21 PM
_
Joined Aug 2012
36 Posts
Today's efforts are attached. Elevons will be hinged near the bottom surface.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 04:36 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
Are you looking to fit retracts?I hope you build this one,interesting project.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:35 AM
_
Joined Aug 2012
36 Posts
No plans for retracts, Stu. That's a lot of weight for a small plane that's already hauling around a pretty big fuselage. Besides, with wheel pants this plane ought to hold a knife edge pretty well. Bet your Horti can't do that
Last edited by g_munu; Sep 06, 2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Picture added.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:28 PM
_
Joined Aug 2012
36 Posts
project is still alive

Just wanted to let you fine tailless flyers know that the Cheranovsky Самолет Гоночный 1 is still coming along.

I threw out the original wing. It was too thin for the speeds I care to fly at and needed to be re done. So I started over and arrived at something worth posting pictures of once again. Fewer ribs this time around, too. The airfoil's a bit thicker and has slightly more positive Cm.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:39 PM
_
Joined Aug 2012
36 Posts
The revised wing spar as viewed head-on. No more kinky stress risers. Spar caps can now be steam bent
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:23 PM
_
Joined Aug 2012
36 Posts
At least nine million years ago I once built a rubber powered Guillows Spitfire. The memory vaults are rusty but some of the concepts are coming back to me. Lots of 1/16 inch square balsa stringers running between formers.

Will likely end up laminating and blocking wood for a firewall and motor mount. As a prototype, I'd like plenty of room to shim the motor mount to adjust up-thrust or down-thrust.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
Jens will love this
Stuart
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
It is an unusual bird to be sure but the construction technique warms my heart to no end as an old free flighter.

Jens
kleinaberfein is offline Find More Posts by kleinaberfein
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:32 PM
_
Joined Aug 2012
36 Posts
Name: 11.png
Views: 58
Size: 136.8 KB
Description:

Well, it's coming along. Re-did the fuselage formers with a hopefully more scale-like hexagonal cross section, which also will permit sheeting if desired along part of the fuselage.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,325 Posts
Keeps the pics coming
Stuart