SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:44 AM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Just digging out after a sweet storm in N.E.

Well, Here is where it stands.

I estimate I can produce and deliver a Carbon Fiber Skinny or Max to a customer's door for between $125 to $175. The actual price is unknown, because, well, we haven't produced any and haven't seen what the operation will cost.

Like anything else the more orders I get the more I can drive the cost down. A significant area of cost in delivering these boats to you is the price of sufficient boxes (Holy-Moly, seems stupid, but has anyone looked at the price of a simple stinkin' cardboard box these days?!). As-is, with a low volume I'd have to pay retail for shipping boxes... but if I get a bunch of orders I can order some box stock from Uline.

There are three unanswered PMs in my box for the Max.. so let me answer those, dig out here, and formulate a game-plan.
I'm Thrilled to see some interest.
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:56 AM
United States, CA, Fairfax
Joined Apr 2011
77 Posts
BW -
A bike box from your local bike shop is the perfect size to ship a MH. Just take a razor knife to cut a section down to size and a glue gun to seal the flaps. Most bike shops will give you the boxes for free.
Houdini13 is online now Find More Posts by Houdini13
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Jan 2006
590 Posts
I have a couple of golf club cases that I use while traveling. Probably cheaper to use sonatube (tubes for concrete footings). While the box stores don't have longer lengths if you call a real concrete supplier they have then in 8 or 10 foot lengths. They would work well for shipping a skinny.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:43 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
DLG builders have very similar problems. Fragile 1.5m composite structures are never easy to ship. Tom Siler (Tom43004) has had very good luck as far as shipping goes, once figuring out "the secret." I don't know what that secret is, though.

I have heard of people "squishing" large diameter PVC pipe to ship in, as well. This could be sent back and forth, with the purchaser pre-paying for shipping the tube back to help ensure you actually do get it back.

FWIW, it might be worth the while to poke around the composites forum, or even a few of the sailplane forums to see if anyone is willing to go in a roll of fabric, or has a bunch they may be willing to part with at a cost less than the distributors charge.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:43 PM
DGN
Joined Apr 2008
9 Posts
Shipping

I got a vintage marblehead hull a year ago. It was shipped in a triangular box. Looked as if it had been a sheet of cardboard folded into a long triangular box with folded ends. Light and pretty strong. Try it -- should work for a modern hull.
Dave
DGN is offline Find More Posts by DGN
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:05 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
M sailing in New Zealand on a beautiful sunny Sunday.

http://radioyachtingnz.wordpress.com...10th-feb-2013/
NZL756 is offline Find More Posts by NZL756
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:43 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,255 Posts
Not sure what businesses you have around you, but if any that ship, I would bet the U-Line will sell you boxes under the company name but at a cash sale. Well before my retirement, I set up a program at local U-Line for employees. They had to pick-up and pay, but got county govt. discount pricing. Sometimes just suggesting you have approval of a company but are paying cash will be sufficient to get them to drop price. Also check with FedEx (that is who I got a triangular box delivered with their logo) and you can also discuss a program for free boxes if you use their services. UPS and USPS provide, so it might be worth a try. Not sure if you wanted to get into "other" fabrication, but some white pine and some 1/4 inch Luan plywood and a brad nailer would get you a few from a 4x8 sheet of plywood. No reason the buyer couldn't pay a bit more for freight container. A lot depends on the beam and deck to keel dimensions to determine actual size needed - just tip a bit to fit. Biggest cost is that of Length+Width+Height which usually determines freight cost.

We are having "our" storm today/tomorrow, otherwise I would run in to (old) work to get name of our local U-Line rep to see if he could help.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:16 PM
Joined Jan 2006
590 Posts
problem is you need 52-54" long. That is beyond most stock box lengths. Concrete tube is relatively cheap as it is disposable building material. It comes in 8, 10, 12" diameters. A skinny should easily go in a 10" tube with some bubble wrap. A little cardboard on the ends and you are good to go for a hull only. The hull should only weight 10 to 12 oz, so you will be mostly paying for the size box it goes it.

My XL doppler just made it in a tube and it is bigger and heavier than either of the hulls you will be doing.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:22 AM
Just plane addicted!
Monterey, CA
Joined Jan 2007
163 Posts
Give yourself at least 3"-4" on each end for sufficient packing. Most damage happens when the contents move and hit each other, the box, or from a compressed box that crushes the contents.

Also check into Greyhound Express for shipping. We airplane guys use that. I have used them many times, never a damaged box, never a loss. For big stuff - it is the most cost effective. 58" x 12x12 might be borderline for FedEx Ground. I never ship OOPS myself.
RobNHood is offline Find More Posts by RobNHood
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:15 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,255 Posts
Regarding masts .... why penalize yourself with a box to house both boat and mast. I would guess (haven't checked) that a mast taped to a piece of 3/4 inch plywood slightly bigger than the mast (width and length) might be a cost saving alternative, and if concerned, once attached to wood backer, wrap in bubble-wrap and secure with the tape with nylon string embedded in it. 3M stuff I think. Print up some 8 1/2 x 11 signs to cut and tape on to the outside of the mast board "suggesting" that the carried "FRAGILE - DO NOT BEND".

You might find that two packages at minimum size "might" be less costly than one package where a lot of space (bow of boat to tip of mast) is simply air. As noted, you probably need to check and compare options. I had forgotten about Greyhound - and not sure if they will deliver to the home - or if you have to drive to a depot to pick up. RobNHood - do you know?

Added: We used to ship 8-9 foot long foam/CF catamaran battens using the "taped to wood" method.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Last edited by Dick L.; Feb 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added thought
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdini13 View Post
BW -
A bike box from your local bike shop is the perfect size to ship a MH. Just take a razor knife to cut a section down to size and a glue gun to seal the flaps. Most bike shops will give you the boxes for free.
Good Idea.
I will give it a try. I don't think much will come of it unfortunately.
I have a great relationship with a local bike-shop owner. and Will check though.

We discussed this with my glasser actually. It seems, at-least in the surfboard industry the companies are now charging for the boxes that boards are shipped in, if you don't return them...
Any way to save a nickel these days
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
I have a couple of golf club cases that I use while traveling. Probably cheaper to use sonatube (tubes for concrete footings). While the box stores don't have longer lengths if you call a real concrete supplier they have then in 8 or 10 foot lengths. They would work well for shipping a skinny.
Hmmm
A 10 footer cut down at each part to accomodate a 50" boat sounds like a good way to ship these.
I'll check it out.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2006
590 Posts
Dont ship masts and hulls together. Due to the hull size if you make the box long enough to hold the mast you will be paying big $$ to ship.
Masts are easy to ship in pvc pipe. I have shipped masts all over the country in PVC.
I really only need a hull to build another M. I have enough masts on hand.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:23 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater View Post
Hmmm
A 10 footer cut down at each part to accomodate a 50" boat sounds like a good way to ship these.
I'll check it out.
I got an IOM fron Brazil that came in a cardboard concrete tube with plywood ends,i would say it's fairly bomb proof.The cardboard was drilled and the bulb strapped on inside with zip ties
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:23 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
Dont ship masts and hulls together. Due to the hull size if you make the box long enough to hold the mast you will be paying big $$ to ship.
Masts are easy to ship in pvc pipe. I have shipped masts all over the country in PVC.
I really only need a hull to build another M. I have enough masts on hand.
At this time, thats all I would potentially be able to supply anyways.
I have the moulds for the hulls, but no fin/rudder/bulb etc moulds.
I do however have the data for the customer to finish the hull (Keel placement, bulb weight, etc.)

I would probably produce and ship boats as bare-bones as possible to save on end-customer cost. That means the customer needs to install the balsa inwhales.

I really dont want to be in the business of building complete boats for people, but maybe if this works I can get some parts moving around the USA and get the class' motor running again.

My Max mould is going into my glasser.
I will run off 1 hull, and examine production costs. Pricing of materials fluctuates, but it will give us a baseline.
When that's done I will calculate a final shipped-to-your-door price.
Oh, Also have to think of a good business name! and make some hull ID tags from a special paper.

When It's all done, I'll post photos of the goods on here. My guy will make a 1st rate product.

Hopefully it works and it's at a price the USA will eat-up.