HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:26 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Question
throttle/Pitch ESC Settings

Please, I understand programming the Throttle/Pitch in an ESC is to establish the range between zero and full throttle but my question is, what if you have a throttle/pitch curve or End point settings that is set at 75 percent and not 100 percent? Will the ESCs see this 75 percent marker as full throttle or have 25 percent in reserve?

Thank you in advance.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:52 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
As long as the end point you will be using is set at the time you calibrate the ESC you should be fine.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:09 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
FYI, to everyone that has their throttle channel end points set to 100 percent, this does not apply but in my case, I was playing around with setting the end points to limit the amount of thrust generated at full throttle. What I learned from this exercise is, Calibrating the ESCs prior to setting end points on the Throttle/Pitch channel is an absolute requirement. Otherwise calibrating the ESC throttle range with end point set has no effects on the ESCs' throttle range.

Example, if WOT is at 100 percent endpoint setting, calibrating the ESCs with the endpoints set to 90 percent will still yield WOT on the ESCs.

I hope this makes sense.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:51 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Note: with my motor/esc combination, the motors does not start to spin until the PWM is at about 1.3ms and the top end of the top end of my RX signal is at 1.77ms. Hmmm.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 01:57 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
RR,
It does make sense Using the Turnigy Plus 10A ESCs, we used to have to set the upper and lower end points of the Experimental Draganflyer: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768115 for the ESC throttle calibration and then set it back to 100% to get the throttle stick to be less than half at hover and the motors to start at the beginning of stick movement: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3631
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
FYI, to everyone that has their throttle channel end points set to 100 percent, this does not apply but in my case, I was playing around with setting the end points to limit the amount of thrust generated at full throttle. What I learned from this exercise is, Calibrating the ESCs prior to setting end points on the Throttle/Pitch channel is an absolute requirement. Otherwise calibrating the ESC throttle range with end point set has no effects on the ESCs' throttle range.

Example, if WOT is at 100 percent endpoint setting, calibrating the ESCs with the endpoints set to 90 percent will still yield WOT on the ESCs.

I hope this makes sense.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:07 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
RR,
It does make sense Using the Turnigy Plus 10A ESCs, we used to have to set the upper and lower end points of the Experimental Draganflyer: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768115 for the ESC throttle calibration and then set it back to 100% to get the throttle stick to be less than half at hover and the motors to start at the beginning of stick movement: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3631
Cheers,
Jim

Thank you Jim, once again, you have provided useful information that I needed. Going to give it a try after lunch.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 03:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Thank you Jim for that Excellent tidbit piece of information, it worked like a charm!!! Nice and smooth takeoffs however, going to make the tail arm of Aluminum also. Still have to work on my landings. LOL
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:02 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
RR,
Cheers,
Jim
Hi Jim,
So the end points don't have to be set to what you will be using to fly in order to calbrate the ESC?
Thanks
Gary
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:11 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Gary,
In the case of the EDF quad, no as there was no "UAVPset" to adjust them for the board and the method described was a work around to set it up for better throttle stick responses. Therefore this EDF ESC throttle cal is similar to RR's gyro only Tricopter requirements. For the UAVX the ESCs only need to be calibrated straight from the throttle channel of the Rx and the UAVPset takes care of the rest...if done properly
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Hi Jim,
So the end points don't have to be set to what you will be using to fly in order to calbrate the ESC?
Thanks
Gary
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:47 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
I have a follow-up question: Do anyone foresee any issues or problems with calibrating my ESCs with the following? The motors start spinning at 1.37ms and the top zone of the RX signal is at 1.77ms. So would there be any problems with calibrating the ESCs with the Low point at 1.30ms and the Top zone 1.80ms(WOT)?

The RCTimer ESCs have 200 steps, I am thinking calibrating them in this way, would allow usage of the 200 steps within the band range where the motors are actually spinning.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:16 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
I re-calibrated the ESCs on this tricopter using a GWS-MT1 Servo tester. I am using RCTimer 30A ESC and the motors on this tricopter doesn't start spinning until the PWM = 1.3ms. So I adjusted the calibration of the ESCs to 1.1ms for low throttle and 1.8ms top (WOT). The Results is a much more stable Tricopter in hover. Very little upwards and down movement.

Tricopter - ESC Tuning. (0 min 53 sec)