HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2011, 04:13 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I just do all that associated maintenance when I smash out the gearbox with an awesome biff...
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 04:16 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
Yeah your right i took a second look and it would be close.
I would give it a try as it is..before adding any cf rod.
A bit of flex on a nose in isn't all that bad..long as it's not to much,it can help save things..imho..longs as it doesn't move (the gear box) when you run/fly it.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old May 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
Quote:
would give it a try as it is..before adding any cf rod.
yes on a new gearbox you woun't have to do that as the 4 pins are intact just leave it there
on mine all 4 had almost broken off after numerous dismounts so i decided to chuck it out.

If you can find smaller nylon bolts than what i used i think it might work if its spaced near the edges of the mount.
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Old May 25, 2011, 04:44 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
Removeable Champ Wing

Also experimenting with a removeable Champ wing using nylon bolts[and micro neo magnets under wing]

this is not for maintenace reasons but I'd like to bring the champ and stock tx with me on a smaller box basically make it more transportable than it is.
Old May 25, 2011, 05:46 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
Ok, I'm looking for a magnet expert here. Is there any magnets strong, yet light enough to hold a champ wing on all by themselves? Say one on each four "corners" of the champ wing attachement point? I've seen really strong and small magnets. And I think it'd be great to have a "pop able" wing. Just imagine how much damage you could save by havingnthat wing just POP OFF in a bad crash!!!!!

Now that's a mod I want but I don't wanna order magnets without knowing what may do it.
FlyingRtard is offline Find More Posts by FlyingRtard
Old May 25, 2011, 06:15 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Is there any magnets strong, yet light enough to hold a champ wing on all by themselves
Kyosho Arium series micro beaver uses magnets alone to hold the wing but the a/c is probably designed for scale flying no hard aerobatics.

Im pretty sure Kyosho had tested them and they hold up

make sure you use neodymium magnets and not any other type like cobalt-samarium although strong but not as strong. If you fly scale you'd be alright but if you fly loops, dives, mild or wild aerobatics, I'd put a bolt in there.

heres a link of magnet source that I've ordered from

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-Ac...ets/Categories
Last edited by Kamov; May 25, 2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old May 25, 2011, 06:43 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
There are many grades of neodymium magnets. I suggest N50 or N52.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2011, 06:56 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRtard View Post
Ok, I'm looking for a magnet expert here. Is there any magnets strong, yet light enough to hold a champ wing on all by themselves? Say one on each four "corners" of the champ wing attachement point? I've seen really strong and small magnets. And I think it'd be great to have a "pop able" wing. Just imagine how much damage you could save by havingnthat wing just POP OFF in a bad crash!!!!!

Now that's a mod I want but I don't wanna order magnets without knowing what may do it.

Magnets would be fine to hold the Champ wing on. It's only aileron wings that magnets get tricky, because a crash rips the servo wires out of the RX.

K&J magnetics sells a bunch of very powerful, small magnets. 8 would work best (4 pairs), 1/8" diameter is more than enough.

To install them, carve a pocket out of the foam, and use 5 minute epoxy, in the hole and smeared in a thin layer over the magnet. I also use clear plastic to smooth the epoxy on the magnet and to ensure the proper polar oreintation of the magnets after the epoxy has set up a little.

You don't want to glue the magnets on and find out hey repel each other.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old May 25, 2011, 07:47 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
I still want to make an EDF Champ...especially now that I got my 2 bricks back from chimchim.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old May 25, 2011, 11:24 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
I still want to make an EDF Champ...especially now that I got my 2 bricks back from chimchim.
You will need more than booger wheel nuts on that one!!!!
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old May 25, 2011, 11:26 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
You will need more than booger wheel nuts on that one!!!!
I had to read that one a few times before I remembered what you were talking about...lol
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old May 26, 2011, 10:52 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
Also experimenting with a removeable Champ wing using nylon bolts[and micro neo magnets under wing]

this is not for maintenace reasons but I'd like to bring the champ and stock tx with me on a smaller box basically make it more transportable than it is.
Really nice idea Kamov. The gear box mount is also a nice idea as well. These seem like extremely usable/doable upgrades.

I've more than a few times almost placed an order on some small magnets to use to hold the fuselage together, so when I got a new fuselage I could do magnets instead of the ugly old tape, plus it would give quick and easy access to the brick, motor etc. I had seen it done on the p-51 and sukhoi, but was afraid to try it on the Champ due to it being a high wing. I wasn't sure if the magnets would be able to handle the g's that from the wing when doing loops and rolls, or if it could handle them then it would be such a strong hold that I couldn't get the plane back open without damaging the foam.

I still would really like to do this, so if anyone ever tries this or experiments with it let me know. I would really like to make it happen on my champ.

Keep us updated on the things your doing Kamov. I really like the mods and if they work out well I will definitely be adding them to my plane.

Where did you get the tiny nylon bolts from? And also what size magents are you planning to use on the wing?
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old May 26, 2011, 11:12 AM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
I don't think holding this plane together with magnets alone is the best idea.

I do like the idea of a threaded nylon stud, w/washer, and nut idea. VERY good idea!

Also a good idea for front & rear locating pins to align the wing to the fuse.

I'd cut off the taper on a toothpick and make each pin go into the ajacent foam about 1/4 inch (6mm).

Would be so cool to take the wing off & put our Champs into a MUCH more compact box
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old May 26, 2011, 05:25 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
first of thanks to all that are putting their ideas or adding to the pot

UNGN
TurboParker
rc crashburn
Ridgewalker

I've learned a LOT[too many to mention] from previous posters that shared their mods here so this is just a tiny contribution im putting in here... but of course your all welcome

Quote:
Where did you get the tiny nylon bolts from? And also what size magents are you planning to use on the wing?
jlcamp7

those are just hardware store items, not sure what hardware store you have in your area but Lowe's, HD, have them almost sure. but i think i got mine from Ace Hardware or a specialty nut/bolts store is one source.

the magnets I have not installed them yet but i got them from rcdude.com

he has several sizes and strength the "N" rating not sure how that works but turboparker above had suggested one.

Im still building the champ and have not flown it yet. I like the idea of magnets holding the fuselage but im afraid it might not hold the way I fly the Champ especially with a SuperTurboCharged Methanol/Water Injected motor on it !! [a Bravo SX motor]

Its got way too much horsepower on it but hey whos complaining !!

Quote:
Also a good idea for front & rear locating pins to align the wing to the fuse.
thats a good idea and might just do that !

Quote:
Would be so cool to take the wing off & put our Champs into a MUCH more compact box
yup nice small box put it in a backpack ....exactly !
Old May 26, 2011, 05:55 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
awhile ago someone posted a video of how to do foam hinges with a dinner plate. could that person please post it again?
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10