Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:45 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Big Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotete View Post
Still in the bench, so that's why I was asking.

Geotete
Ah. Got it. Then, I suggest that you fly it first without ANY of the FPV gear in it. It would be a real shame to nose it in and destroy all that equipment. Once you get it flying well, then add ballast until you get up to the total weight of all the FPV gear. That way, if things go suddenly south, it doesn't cost you any major expenses. Good luck and please take videos to share as you go along. We all enjoy seeing each others progress.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
... . We all enjoy seeing each others progress.
AJ
Or failure...
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Part One - I apologize. I did not mean to mislead you. It is NOT a loaded question (that would be unfair and rude IMO). I just asked to see if anyone knew the answer because I don't.
Part deux - To clarify- I am looking for a port or starboard motor as an answer.
AJ
AJ

It was not how you asked your question,it was how I misinterpreted it.

As for you original question of which side port or starboard... again I would guess that since most single engine planes have a tractor prop and want to turn to the right wouldn't a dual engine plane have the pusher on the right (starboard) to counter the pull from the left (port) engine?

Or maybe the action of turning to the right is due to the motor rotation and not the prop angle?

What do full size dual engine planes have?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:16 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
AJ

As for you original question of which side port or starboard... again I would guess that since most single engine planes have a tractor prop and want to turn to the right wouldn't a dual engine plane have the pusher on the right (starboard) to counter the pull from the left (port) engine?

Or maybe the action of turning to the right is due to the motor rotation and not the prop angle?

Counter rotating props with variable pitch blades on a real full size twin engine.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:22 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
AJ

You brought up some good points, logic, and questions. I am sorry I do not have the answers. Besides, it is not fair to the rest of the folks for me to continue this off topic discussion.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:33 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
you brought up some good points, logic, and questions. I am sorry i do not have the answers. Besides, it is not fair to the rest of the folks for me to continue this off topic discussion.
Aj
+1 ..
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Jun 08, 2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: smilee face not working
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Anyone else get message from HK announcing the Bixler 2?

It appears to be be on Twitter but I aint.
What was the message?
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:41 PM
Clueless, but trying
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Just a pic with the Bixler Logo and the number 2 printed next to it....
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:15 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2011
192 Posts
unfortunately only my Bixler is FPV ready
I am not so good RC pilot.
I can build good RC model but I can not fly good
But I have all equipment and will try

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
kmihalkov,
Very impressive work.
Don't know if you can cross post to the FPV thread but I'm sure they'd enjoy it too.
kmihalkov is offline Find More Posts by kmihalkov
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:30 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2011
192 Posts
I used PVC packing from one purchase
I bought coaxial cable from Dealextreme.

You can see this product here:
http://dx.com/p/wi-fi-antenna-rp-sma...m-length-34650

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I think I miss lead u on the question. I meant what material did u use to make the cooling port. I have seen medicine bottles cut in half and spoons but nothing like urs. I like the look of that. Haven't got mine together yet so these mods are going to give me some ideas to go on.
kmihalkov is offline Find More Posts by kmihalkov
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:51 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Hmmm never would of thought of that. I bet I have something lying around in all my computer part packages that will work. Thanks!!
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:05 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
842 Posts
Quote:
...... I have a question for anyone who knows - Which engine is usually designated for the pusher prop?........
Not sure where I came up with this (read it on here somewhere I think) but I believe the prop on a twin, as a blade comes over TDC, that blade should be heading toward the fuse. This applies to either engine.
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:13 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,072 Posts
Twin engine prop rotation - a suggestion that the blade at the top of its rotation is heading to wards the fuselage - why? To keep grass stains to a minimum. Rotating the other way (bottom blade rotating towards fuselage) picks up all the grass and "paints" the fuselage - when landing on grass.

Also a good suggestion to use opposite rotation on pushers to tighten the prop nut. I've had mine come loose - wondered why I'd lost power. Still spun the prop - but only just.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:43 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,601 Posts
Yep.

Here it is for those of you who Tweet.

I'm assuming it will be a new version copying some of the EasyStar II features but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcoz View Post
Just a pic with the Bixler Logo and the number 2 printed next to it....
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:32 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post

Also a good suggestion to use opposite rotation on pushers to tighten the prop nut. I've had mine come loose - wondered why I'd lost power. Still spun the prop - but only just.
I've flown many tractor and many pusher type planes with collet prop adapters and some with just a nut a washer holding the prop on and never had one come loose.

If your prop did come loose it's because:

1. You need to go to the gym, it wasn't tight enough,
2. You're using the wrong size collet adapter.
3. The props hub was too thin and the threaded part of the adapter bottomed out in the cone before it was tight enough. (add a washer)
4. Prof loosen it while you were in the port-a-potty as a joke, (He's bad for that.)

Don't blame it on the way the motor turns. The prop doesn't have enough mass to cause that, especially a 6x4.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE