SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:47 PM
Registered User
BigGuyJT's Avatar
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfliboy View Post
It was given to me by a club member, he had won it at our annual Xmas Party. Decided I would have the most fun withit.

Originally MSRP was $49 and our club picked it up from the LHS for $30.

I was impressed with how everything kinda fell into place. Basically all that was added was a flat cf pc under the bellcrank assembly. Oughta be hoot during pylon racing.
Hope you get video!!! Is it the hobby lobby one? http://www.hobby-lobby.com/nemesis.htm
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:48 PM
Registered User
Singapore
Joined Nov 2007
358 Posts
I can fly my J-3 very well with rudder and elevator, but when I started to use the aileron, its start to nose up and then dive. Anyone know what could be the cause of this?
buratino is offline Find More Posts by buratino
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:56 PM
Don't leave it Stock
mrfliboy's Avatar
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
Hope you get video!!! Is it the hobby lobby one? http://www.hobby-lobby.com/nemesis.htm
Yupper
mrfliboy is offline Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:58 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
maukabud's Avatar
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buratino View Post
I can fly my J-3 very well with rudder and elevator, but when I started to use the aileron, its start to nose up and then dive. Anyone know what could be the cause of this?
Nosing up and then diving (over and over) is called "porpoising"...like a porpoise/dolphin does.

Most common cause is a CG that is too far back.
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:19 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buratino View Post
I can fly my J-3 very well with rudder and elevator, but when I started to use the aileron, its start to nose up and then dive. Anyone know what could be the cause of this?
Cubs have adverse yaw with ailerons. Right Aileron up makes it roll right, but the drag from the left aileron down yaws it left.

The pitch up could be the down aileron wing generating more lift, but then the wing stalls causing the nose to drop.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 10:26 PM
Registered User
Singapore
Joined Nov 2007
358 Posts
Hi UNGN, yes it react just like you described, but on this case how can I counter it? more speed? this J-3 can fly and claim with half throttle but quickly stall with aileron
buratino is offline Find More Posts by buratino
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2010, 10:36 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buratino View Post
Hi UNGN, yes it react just like you described, but on this case how can I counter it? more speed? this J-3 can fly and claim with half throttle but quickly stall with aileron
For my cub, more nose weight and setting the ailerons so that Neutral was slightly Trailing edge up helped. I still needed to learn how to mix in the right amount of rudder and aileron to get it to turn smoothly.

Once you get it, it feels natural and the plane flies fine... but not fly the plane for a while and its very hard to to just pick up the TX and fly it... which is why I fly my champ instead. That plane flies itself.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:48 AM
Post Digger
Baratacus's Avatar
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
can you set up your aileron to just deflect upwards? It would require a slight modification of the bell crank, a couple tensioning springs and a couple stops for the aileron arms so they can't travel to down deflection. That way you just have the up deflection on one wing or the other to bank right or left, but you don't have the down deflection on the opposing wing that seems to be causing the nose in/stalling situation.
Baratacus is offline Find More Posts by Baratacus
Last edited by Baratacus; Nov 07, 2010 at 01:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2010, 02:28 PM
Nothing flies like a Pitts
Meshuggah's Avatar
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Aug 2006
317 Posts
risky business, you loose allot of lift that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baratacus View Post
can you set up your aileron to just deflect upwards? It would require a slight modification of the bell crank, a couple tensioning springs and a couple stops for the aileron arms so they can't travel to down deflection. That way you just have the up deflection on one wing or the other to bank right or left, but you don't have the down deflection on the opposing wing that seems to be causing the nose in/stalling situation.
Meshuggah is offline Find More Posts by Meshuggah
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2010, 02:38 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
risky business, you loose allot of lift that way.
The Cub's wing is trying to generate too much lift, anyway and stalls easily. Flattening the wing out makes it balloon less under power and the inside wing stalls less in turns.

The plane may not slow down as much when traveling straight ahead, into the wind, but you can turn downwind without a wing dropping and the plane falling out of the sky.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:16 AM
vtol fan
nadine's Avatar
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
mariposa with ar 6400

hi!
this is mariposa by reto,but i put in AR6400 ....i plan to put 2 ,6mm from aero ace....weigt with no electronic is 12gr...maiden soon!
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 05:24 AM
vtol fan
nadine's Avatar
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buratino View Post
Here is my J-3 version 2, I manage to reduce AUW to 39g with aileron servo. Just maiden yesterday and it flew great with rudder/elevator. Once get used to it I will connect the aileron to try


hi buratino!
it's a kit or you use a plan to make it!?
if is a plan you could kindley post it !?
verry nice!
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:15 AM
Registered User
indoor_fr's Avatar
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfliboy View Post
It was given to me by a club member, he had won it at our annual Xmas Party. Decided I would have the most fun withit.

Originally MSRP was $49 and our club picked it up from the LHS for $30.

I was impressed with how everything kinda fell into place. Basically all that was added was a flat cf pc under the bellcrank assembly. Oughta be hoot during pylon racing.
How does this jewel fly?
indoor_fr is offline Find More Posts by indoor_fr
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:46 AM
Eat, Sleep, Fly!
realglow's Avatar
Joined Mar 2001
659 Posts
Tethered RC (tRC) Planes for AR6400

These micro planes fly very aerobatically on 10 foot lines thethered to the top of a 12 foot pole. Planes are typically 10 inch span and weigh about 1 ounce:
realglow is offline Find More Posts by realglow
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:17 AM
Registered User
ckreef's Avatar
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realglow View Post
These micro planes fly very aerobatically on 10 foot lines thethered to the top of a 12 foot pole. Planes are typically 10 inch span and weigh about 1 ounce:
I guess I don't understand. They are RC controlled with ar6400 Rx's so why use a pole ??? Doesn't a pole sort of defeat the purpose of having them Remote Controlled.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures: When planes were able to show off, at air shows Patrick Plawner Life, The Universe, and Politics 126 Mar 26, 2013 06:30 AM
Cool Show off your Parkzone Micro P-51!!! P-51C Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 938 Nov 20, 2012 06:49 PM
Discussion Show us those planes you really need to replace! JimTMich Parkflyers 8 Apr 26, 2012 11:05 AM
Discussion Show off those home made camera gimbals! ben1101 Aerial Photography 2 Jul 22, 2009 07:11 PM