New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2015, 07:03 AM
Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Joined Apr 2006
5,591 Posts
Discussion
Nikko Mosquito

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2521539

The Yellow Hornet has been discontinued I discovered as the 1/3 price was a closeout > http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post32975762

It is replaced by the Mosquito which seems identical except for color and cabin. Because of the regular price (3x what I paid for the closeouts) but mostly because the black blades are harder for my bird Kiki to see and avoid, I didn't buy a third one as closeout Yellow Hornets all quickly flew away from the store.

So anyone reading my "report" and experience with what I consider a real jewel -- "for what it is" -- here's a pic of its replacement. I assume the changes are cosmetic, and knowing the Japanese pride in their technology, they would not likely degrade the new one.
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2015, 01:11 AM
Find More Posts by Timewerx
Joined Mar 2010
423 Posts
Cute heli!

It looks like the Silverlit Nano Falcon, save for the canopy and metal frame.
Timewerx is offline Find More Posts by Timewerx
Old Oct 20, 2015, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Joined Apr 2006
5,591 Posts
The frame is of course plastic, the alu is thin screwed-on cladding, same as on the Yellow Hornet. With or with out tweaking, the Hornet, and so presumably this new version, is slightly "nose-heavy", probably more aerodynamically than weight-wise, and has SO much available excess power even without tweaking (i.e., out-of-the-box) that it makes little sense to remove the alu cladding.
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Oct 20, 2015, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by Timewerx
Joined Mar 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee View Post
The frame is of course plastic, the alu is thin screwed-on cladding, same as on the Yellow Hornet. With or with out tweaking, the Hornet, and so presumably this new version, is slightly "nose-heavy", probably more aerodynamically than weight-wise, and has SO much available excess power even without tweaking (i.e., out-of-the-box) that it makes little sense to remove the alu cladding.
In my Silverlit coax, the "bling" (alu sides) supported the landing gear.

So in my weight-reducing mods, I had to replace it with a lighter material I crafted out of a disposable instant noodle plastic cup.

First picture shows the stock with lots of unnecessary gear which is heavy.....and it's for a good reason....2nd picture shows the weight reduction mods and the metal sides I replaced with plastic sheet from instant noodle cup. Now it likes to rocket to the ceiling even with just 20% throttle and the paper blades only made it kiss the ceiling sooner!

The alu side did seem pretty, I felt sorry for my heli when I replaced it.
Timewerx is offline Find More Posts by Timewerx