Old Oct 14, 2015, 09:49 PM
SKT
Find More Posts by SKT
SKT
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2011
218 Posts
Discussion
Eagle Eyes - Where does it get its centre pan bearing from?

I have my Eagle Eyes running great but I am curious about the centre pan bearing it gets itself.??

If you walk your model out 20-30m and tell the EE the model is pan centre then lookingh at the EE via the Vector OSd it gets a bearing whihc is always accuratecompared to a compass.

My question is does the EE have an onboard compass or is this some sort of back bearing from the Vector'd model?

Its not a fault.. I'm just curious where it gets that bearing from.

I've been setting it up and assigning the bearing based off my compass and its worked fine.
SKT is offline Find More Posts by SKT
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2015, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by JohnET
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
900 Posts
Hello,

There are 2 options. You can use the model position for the center pan or you can use north for center pan.

Per the Eagle Eyes manual;

Use Model Location as 0 Pan – This option let’s you set the Zero Pan Compass reading described above, by positioning your model in front of your tracker, as far away as possible, with your tracker’s pan servo centered. To use this option you must first ensure that the Vector has established its “home” GPS location. Then, move the model as far away from the antenna as practical, ensuring that the model is lined up with the patch antenna on the pan/tilt mount, and that the tracker’s pan servo is centered. Then, select this option, and the Zero Pan compass angle reading is automatically computed.

c) Use Present Compass as 0 Pan – if you have enabled and calibrated the Vector’s magnetic compass, this menu item will use the model’s present compass reading as your tracker’s the 0 pan direction. Point your model so that the arrow on the GPS/MAG’s label is pointing in the same direction your tracker is pointing when it is centered, and select this menu item.

Regards, John
JohnET is offline Find More Posts by JohnET
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by Willyspu
United States, CA, Woodside
Joined Mar 2013
441 Posts
Here is a new video that really helps to set up the EE tracking station:
Eagle Tree Antenna Tracker Tutorial - RCGroups FPV Video Review (9 min 57 sec)
Willyspu is offline Find More Posts by Willyspu
Old Oct 15, 2015, 05:05 PM
SKT
Find More Posts by SKT
SKT
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2011
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnET View Post
Hello,

There are 2 options. You can use the model position for the center pan or you can use north for center pan.

Per the Eagle Eyes manual;

Use Model Location as 0 Pan – This option let’s you set the Zero Pan Compass reading described above, by positioning your model in front of your tracker, as far away as possible, with your tracker’s pan servo centered. To use this option you must first ensure that the Vector has established its “home” GPS location. Then, move the model as far away from the antenna as practical, ensuring that the model is lined up with the patch antenna on the pan/tilt mount, and that the tracker’s pan servo is centered. Then, select this option, and the Zero Pan compass angle reading is automatically computed.

c) Use Present Compass as 0 Pan – if you have enabled and calibrated the Vector’s magnetic compass, this menu item will use the model’s present compass reading as your tracker’s the 0 pan direction. Point your model so that the arrow on the GPS/MAG’s label is pointing in the same direction your tracker is pointing when it is centered, and select this menu item.

Regards, John
Thx John that certainly does clear it up.

I must say that Eagle Tree has truely ticked a bunch of boxes with the Vector and the integration with the Eagle Eyes. Thank you.
SKT is offline Find More Posts by SKT