New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2015, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Joined Dec 2011
4,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley View Post
I think AS was mentioning the geometry is different but I'm not sure.
The tail geometry on the Align V2 belt unit is messed up, it doesn't have enough pitch against torque and the neutral point for a rate mode hover is far off from 90 degrees. The tail rotor shaft needs to be longer, which they totally could have done because the V2 belt unit also uses a different tail rotor shaft and pulley anyway. I don't think Align really tested it much. However if you just swap out the stock plastic pitch links with those from a Trex 500 Pro it completely fixes the tail geometry. They are slightly shorter but otherwise they are the same size and fit perfectly. This will decrease pitch on the rotor hub side of the tail and increase it on the tail sideplate side. It's almost like it was intended to use these links because with them the tail geometry is perfect.

The Gartt unit should be fine as it uses the same bellcrank and geometry as the original v1 unit. It's the V2 Align unit with a two sided slider that has problems.

Quote:
I was referring to the 550. single radial and thrust bearing design. probably works fine but i feel better with 2 radial bearings.
I think they may have switched over to the Gartt 700 tail grips on newer units. I've seen a few vendors selling complete Gartt 550 tail units with silver instead of black grips. Gartt uses a stepped shaft on the 700 so they would use the same tail hub and it would probably be cheaper to just make one design.

The real Align Trex 700 grips are the same as the 550/600 ones except that they use a hub that fits a 6mm tail rotor shaft. The Gartt 700 tail grips should be a direct fit on the Gartt 550 because they use the older style stepped tail shaft on the Gartt 700.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Sep 02, 2015 at 06:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2015, 02:49 PM
Find More Posts by TheLeabres
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
916 Posts
Started the build on 550GT and ran into a problem. After hearing a weird sound when spinning the shaft, I found this. I already asked via RMA how hobbyking will fix the issue (either a frame with the holes in the right places) or a new main gear (don't know if that will help). Any suggestions? Thanks.
Took a while to get the right angle with the USB microscope but got it near the end of the video.
Hobbyking 550 GT tail drive gear defective part (1 min 0 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Sep 06, 2015, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by pdooley
Used Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
3,063 Posts
don't waste your time trying to return this to Hobbyking.
you can expect to have some issues with cheap clone helicopters, just replace the gears or slot the frame. if you want no hassles, spend the money on something better.
pdooley is offline Find More Posts by pdooley
Old Sep 07, 2015, 03:35 AM
Joined Sep 2010
916 Posts
Learned my lesson. Spend a little more for quality like Align. Won't mind spending more cash if it saves me from the frustrating RMA process and headaches of replacing parts on a heli that hasn't even flown yet.
Old Oct 03, 2015, 05:52 PM
Used Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
3,063 Posts
well i got my HK550 airborne, if only a few feet off the ground. As I mentioned in the kbar thread, the tail is slow wagging about 1-2 times a second, probably 10- 20degrees. No amount of gain makes a difference. I'm using a yellow kbar tail only. I pulled the head, disconnected the tail servo and spun it up. quite a bit of resistance on the tail pushrod, and tail blades do not return to neutral. I've got different opinions on this but I would think the blades should return to zero pitch.
Earlier in the thread I mentioned my tail grips were binding when tightened. The redneck fix was removing the tail hub bolts and fixing studs in place with red loctite. then nyloc nuts were used to tighten and adjust blade grips. this worked to where I couldn't feel slop and didn't have static binding, but who knows what is happening at rpm. Also there seems to be quite a bit of vibration.
So I'm considering triple bearing Align grips and better tail shaft bearings.
any thoughts would be appreciated. i'll try to get a video of the shake.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 07:16 PM
Joined Sep 2010
916 Posts
My friend built the Hobbyking Pro GT 450 FBL and on the maiden flight the front gears stripped. Cheap quality, better to go with Align.

450 HK 450 Pro FBL damaged on landing stripped gears (0 min 39 sec)
Old Oct 25, 2015, 07:43 PM
Joined Sep 2010
916 Posts
This is what a Hobbyking 550 GT can do when built and tuned by a pro.

Hobbyking 550GT 3D Pro RC Pilot Super Acceleration (1 min 11 sec)
Old Oct 25, 2015, 09:18 PM
Used Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
3,063 Posts
he's running some head speed there. do you know if it's 6S or 12? did he upgrade any parts?
I'm thinking of getting an Align tail grip set. Mine is not good.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 04:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
916 Posts
6S 5000 mah 130C lipo. Align gyro and servos.
Old Nov 03, 2015, 09:55 PM
Used Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
3,063 Posts
hk550 tail wag

As i mentioned before, the required force to move the pitch slider with tail rotor spinning is quite high on my hk550. for comparison i did the same test on my Century 550 and got much better results. very little effort to move the tail pushrod and it would return to center(almost) when i let go. hk550 would hold position, even at full pitch.
so i've decided to try replacing the tail grips with Align V2. will update my findings.
Old Nov 06, 2015, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by Black_Angel
Love To Fly
Joined Jan 2015
907 Posts
I asked same in other treads before, but here we go:

When getting a good deal a a complete Align Heli is there much at all to save on a clone with all you need to get it in the air? And maybe even replace some parts with Align?

BA
Black_Angel is online now Find More Posts by Black_Angel
Old Nov 06, 2015, 12:08 PM
Used Pat
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
3,063 Posts
if you can get a good deal on an Align than do that. question is, what's a good deal? how much savings do you need to justify a clone?
and how you intend to fly is important. if you want high head speed just get the Align. Otherwise clone can be built with cheaper electronics and fly around easy no problem.

buying used from classifieds you can get a low price, sometimes you get a nice heli, sometime you get a bird that needs work. there is some luck involved.
my HK550 isn't too bad, quality is ok. the head is pretty good but the tail is junk. this will vary from each clone, you may get a good one. like i said, some luck involved either way.
Old Nov 06, 2015, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by 2Doggs
Ask Mike
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
7,619 Posts
It's a bit of a paradox. For someone coming in to the hobby with not much experience of building helis, something like the Align 450 Plus combo is really attractive.

With more experience, however, you can easily build up a better 450 for less money, with your own electronics choices. For example, it's hard to beat a Kbar at $25 or less, Turnigy 306G or KST 115/215 servos at about $20 something each. A YEP 45A ESC would be an improvement over the stock Align one, tho my choice would always be the Superbrain 45A for its data-logging. Maybe add a Taranis radio.... that would be a serious upgrade over the combo TX.

There are just a few components on a clone 450 that benefit from being replaced with Align parts.

BA, you don't really need to ask the question, tho, do you! I consider the CopterX Black Angel 450 to be a superior design to all current Align 450's - it's almost like a poor man's Forza.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
Old Nov 06, 2015, 02:00 PM
Love To Fly
Joined Jan 2015
907 Posts
You have alwais many good points.... i just see so many treads with hk clones then replace several parts with align parts..so what i tried to question is if there is much at all to save ?

I love my BA 450 and would not change it to any other 450 ...The Align 450 combo was kind of impressing for the money, but i like the building..I got a promo mail and thougth it was the real Align 450

EDIT: If doing the math of calculating a project and compare for example a free shipping Trex 500 on promo with a clone and parts from 1 or 2 other vendors + 2 or 3 x shipping i found out it was so litle to save so it was nothing to think about. On the other side i guess there is allot to save on a hk 700...

Regarding my other post on Align 450, i added longer down:
"I did not even see it was a RTF, i just saw all what was included..great deal. I prefer building my helies "

BA...fter some editing
Last edited by Black_Angel; Nov 06, 2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2015, 02:32 PM
Love To Fly
Joined Jan 2015
907 Posts
Quote:
if you can get a good deal on an Align than do that. question is, what's a good deal? how much savings do you need to justify a clone?
and how you intend to fly is important. if you want high head speed just get the Align. Otherwise clone can be built with cheaper electronics and fly around easy no problem.

buying used from classifieds you can get a low price, sometimes you get a nice heli, sometime you get a bird that needs work. there is some luck involved.
my HK550 isn't too bad, quality is ok. the head is pretty good but the tail is junk. this will vary from each clone, you may get a good one. like i said, some luck involved either way.
Thanks for clearify this...You both asked what i tried to ask but better.... And a good answear for the question too. I never had a hk but i almost ordered more times...latest i was seduced by the Assault 700 ( But as some of you know i ended up withe some 600 helies)

Nothing is better if possible to get our stuff both good and cheap, but somethimes maybe the math not add up too?

BA