New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2015, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by 32Ford
Jim Robertson
Claremore, Oklahoma
Joined Nov 2005
290 Posts
I have 48 flights on mine now and she's trimmed, mixed and flying beautifully. Just the slightest hint of pulling to the canopy in knife edge. A real pleasure to fly. No damage to the landing gear box as of yet caused by the composite struts. In fact, the struts have loosened up just a tad and are not quite as stiff as when I initially installed them. Their really working good and am now considering putting the strut fairings back on which might help the knife edge pull. I like the looks of the model both way's so not sure what i'll do and currently have the pull mixed out.

Jim
32Ford is online now Find More Posts by 32Ford
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2015, 02:59 AM
Find More Posts by bossee
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,374 Posts
Jim,
Since You can not change (easily) the stab or wing incidence (+/- angel of attack) You can try to have the model slightly more tail heavy to correct a pull to canopy in knife edge. But it might have negative effect on other things that present make the plane fly good in other attitudes/manouvers. Maybe You have heard of Bryan Heberts Triangulation trimming? It is good reading but perhaps not so easy to digest at first reading.
http://www.ckaero.net/blog/triangulation-trimming-2/ (part 1 and part 2)

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Mar 24, 2015, 04:39 AM
Jim Robertson
Claremore, Oklahoma
Joined Nov 2005
290 Posts
bossee, thank you very much for the recommendation. I did try moving the CG but didn't like the feel of the elevator. Currently, when I roll the model knife edge with no rudder input the nose drops gracefully and stays wings vertical. And when I add rudder the pull to canopy is very slight. I mixed in 3% of elevator to correct it and 2.5% of aileron. With these small mixes the model will knife edge, either side, across the field hands off using rudder only and only minor corrections needed for wind. I do use some of Bryan's trimming techniques but mainly use Peter Goldsmiths trimming guide. Both guides are great reading and as you stated, need to be read several times to really digest the information. I have also talked to Bill Cunningham about how he goes about trimming a plane. Seems everyone has their own variation of how to go about it. I plan on getting with Bill in the near future for a trimming session and see what he thinks about my current set up and get some pointers. With the current mixes I can also make rudder turns without the model diving , climbing or rolling. I will report back after I have Bill fly the plane. He may undo everything I've done. But currently I think the model is flying outstanding with no bad habits. I also found I had to tighten my rudder stick spring as I was unknowingly adding rudder for no apparent reason. I think it's a bad habit from all my years of helicopter flying.

I'm still very curious why the instructions want the plane set up with 3D throws. I did not follow those guidelines and set mine up with more traditional pattern throws. I am now in the 125% travel adjust range on high rates for what I feel is better servo resolution. That information gives you some idea of how slight my mix is. In fact, on the ground you can't even really see it. You have to put your fingers on the surface to feel it. My current throws are 15mm 10mm & 8mm (100, 65, 51 DR numbers) for ailerons and elevator and 45mm 35mm & 25mm (100, 75, 60 DR numbers) on rudder. Expo for all 3 is 40, 30, 20 with medium tight sticks. With these throws the model will still snap and spin nicely. It's a pattern plane, right? So why set it up with 40 degrees of throw and then cut everything way back so there is no servo resolution to speak of?? If I wanted a 3D plane, I would of bought one. I'm certainly open to that discussion. Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Jim

P.S. I wish the wing and stab was more easily adjustable.
Last edited by 32Ford; Mar 24, 2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 05:04 AM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
3,293 Posts
IIRC, some of the planes in the Wind family (110?) were available with 2 different tail options : pattern and 3D
Perhaps the manual is a carry over?

FWIW, I just purchased a copy of the TTG from Bryan
2pages, double sided laminated, easy to read and bring to the field (assuming the snow eventually melts)
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2015, 05:24 AM
Jim Robertson
Claremore, Oklahoma
Joined Nov 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
IIRC, some of the planes in the Wind family (110?) were available with 2 different tail options : pattern and 3D
Perhaps the manual is a carry over?
Don't think so ltc, as the Myhto manual wants you to do the same. I now have a template made for the elevator servo arm cut out. The new opening allows full travel with out linkage binding. I'm not using stock linkage. I use Secraft ball links on both ends.

Jim
Old Mar 24, 2015, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by juliant
Julian T
Fleet, UK
Joined Jun 2005
595 Posts
+1 Jim. The Angel, Wind and Mytho are all superb F3A style models when trimmed and set up as such. The fact they can be 3D'd by extremely able pilots does not mean they are good at 3D - they aren't. I have not tried with the Mytho but the Angel sucked at it - unsurprisingly - even with 3D throws. I have other models from 48" to 78" designed for 3D that are far superior in that respect - unsurprisingly.
juliant is offline Find More Posts by juliant
Old Apr 20, 2015, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by mobywon
London, Ontario
Joined Aug 2009
23 Posts
Hi all, does anyone here have a set of wheel pants they are willing to sell for my Wind S 50? I just got her and she looks naked to me without them. We have a terratex runway so grass isn't an issue.

thanks,

Morey
mobywon is offline Find More Posts by mobywon
Old Apr 20, 2015, 08:43 PM
Jim Robertson
Claremore, Oklahoma
Joined Nov 2005
290 Posts
Hi Morey, have you tried Jason at Sebart USA? He keeps sapre parts in stock.

Jim
Old Apr 21, 2015, 08:40 AM
London, Ontario
Joined Aug 2009
23 Posts
Thanks Jim,

I was hoping for a more economical solution, and actually may have found someone in my own club that is willing to part with a set that he thinks will fit. On Sunday past the wind was blowing upwards of 28 MPH, but it was almost straight down our runway, and having had cabin fever for our winter months, I decided to go ahead and maiden her anyway. Also stupidly, I had forgot to check the actual servo setting recommendations and didn't put in nearly enough expo on the ailerons, and I had a somewhat terrifying first flight! Luckily I managed to land without incident and look very forward to flying under more normal conditions. Cheers all.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 09:14 AM
Jim Robertson
Claremore, Oklahoma
Joined Nov 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobywon View Post
Thanks Jim,

I was hoping for a more economical solution, and actually may have found someone in my own club that is willing to part with a set that he thinks will fit. On Sunday past the wind was blowing upwards of 28 MPH, but it was almost straight down our runway, and having had cabin fever for our winter months, I decided to go ahead and maiden her anyway. Also stupidly, I had forgot to check the actual servo setting recommendations and didn't put in nearly enough expo on the ailerons, and I had a somewhat terrifying first flight! Luckily I managed to land without incident and look very forward to flying under more normal conditions. Cheers all.
No problem at all Morey! Hope the pants your fellow club member has work out. You might check my blog that I did on my Mytho build. My Wind is set up exactly the same and has plenty of throw on high rates for those windy days yet is very docile. Glad you didn't damage the model any worse.

Jim
Old Apr 22, 2015, 06:20 AM
Find More Posts by Watdazit
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
I like how that gear looks on the Wind.
I'll have to check to see if it's the same size as the Miss Wind gear and consider buying a pair for my Miss Wind (red/white/green ... still in the box but on the list for bench time soon
I did buy from f3alorenz before and had no issues at all.
I am just catching up on some reading and saw your comment about the Miss Wind. The Miss Wind gear slopes rearward so the Wind gear will not be suitable. You have probably found this out by now anyway.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old May 03, 2015, 06:44 PM
London, Ontario
Joined Aug 2009
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32Ford View Post
No problem at all Morey! Hope the pants your fellow club member has work out. You might check my blog that I did on my Mytho build. My Wind is set up exactly the same and has plenty of throw on high rates for those windy days yet is very docile. Glad you didn't damage the model any worse.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I did end up getting pants for 15 bucks, and painted them silver (because that's what I had on the shelf!) and they look ok, but I think yellow will be nicer so I will probably repaint them. Got a few flights in and am very happy with her so far, but I agree with earlier posts that the aluminum gear just don't seem up to the task. would like to get CF gear, can anyone please post a link? sorry if I missed it in an earlier post.

thanks,

Morey
Old May 03, 2015, 08:51 PM
Jim Robertson
Claremore, Oklahoma
Joined Nov 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobywon View Post
Thanks Jim, I did end up getting pants for 15 bucks, and painted them silver (because that's what I had on the shelf!) and they look ok, but I think yellow will be nicer so I will probably repaint them. Got a few flights in and am very happy with her so far, but I agree with earlier posts that the aluminum gear just don't seem up to the task. would like to get CF gear, can anyone please post a link? sorry if I missed it in an earlier post.

thanks,

Morey
Hi Morey, glad the pants worked out for you.

Here's the email address for F3A Lorenz. Just email him and say you want the #543 carbon gear for the Sebart Wind 50. He'll reply with an invoice and you PayPal him the funds. Remember it's going to Germany and payment will be in euros. PayPal makes it easy and converts it for you. It's no more difficult then sending money in the states.

Modeltechnik-Lorenz@t-online.de

Jim