Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:41 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,354 Posts
Discussion
1988 "Sudanfalk" (Sudan Falcon) rebuilt

Hi guys!

Last night, one of our our club presidents took me aside after our meeting, and said he had something for me, being the "flying wing pope" of our club.
Wow! He had a 3m spanning "Sudanfalk" from a plan published in 1988 in the RC magazine "FMT". The designer is "Jupp Wimmer", a well known contrarian in the scene.

The plane appears to be in a pretty good condition, after I washed off the grime with some isopropyl alcohol.

By chance, I just ordered a large outrunner and a 60A ESC for my 2.4m Megabaze, but now, these components will be installed in the Sudanfalk, along with a 4s A123 pack.

I'll begin this conversion next week, so stay tuned if interested.

Cheers,

Julez
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:11 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
That's a beauty Julez! Looking forward to some video.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Dec 13, 2008, 01:24 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,396 Posts
What a gorgeous wing! Wow!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:26 PM
Los Angeles Area
Joined Dec 2005
483 Posts
Very nice looking wing I like it.
Jimmi is offline Find More Posts by Jimmi
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:00 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,354 Posts
Ok, more like 3 weeks later now, but oh well

I finished the servo setup, checked or rebuilt the linkages, and programmed the whole thing. Not that difficult
Rule of thumbs for normal airplanes: Recommended control surface throw x 2 is most likely ok

I installed the Turnigy outrunner with 2 aluminium elbows I made of some 1.5mm material from the scrap box. It spins nice and true.
I even found a folding prop center part from 2003, which just fits perfectly on the supplied prop mount of that motor.
The whole contraption looks a little ghetto like this, but that's just the right look for such a conversion.
I had spare 13x8 blades lying around, but it only pulls 33A on these. But I have a 14x6 and a 15x6 on order, as I aim at no less than 50A.

The holder for the battery pack and the ESC ins not yet ready, but I think I will build some kind of between-deck over the servos from plywood.

You can also see the 75A telemetry sensor from the Jeti system.

The guy goofing around is my brother Christian.

Cheers,

Julez
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:00 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Wow you really get a good impression of the size of this beast in the pic of your brother sitting with it!

Try and get some video for us when shes airborne.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:15 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,354 Posts
Yeah, I'll try my best.

I just googled some photos of Jupp Wimmer:
http://www.das-nurfluegelteam.de/nf_...ffen_2008.html

A little down, you can see him with what appears to be the original of this model, or at least, a version from "the master himself".

Here are some of the, err, "flying machines", he usually buids:
http://www.inter-ex.com/french/interex18/bild903e.htm
Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:38 AM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
870 Posts
here's more info on Jupp and the Sudan
miniphase is online now Find More Posts by miniphase
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:55 AM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
just pure curiosity .. how much does that bugger weigh! its a big bird man *you should paint it yellow!! .....
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Jan 02, 2009, 12:07 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,354 Posts
First flight today!

Hi!

I just came back from the first flight. It flies really well. It needed a good deal of down trim at first, but after that, it was really easy to fly. It's really stable in the air, and circling does not require any efforts or correcting. The rudder works a little delayed, so I had to plan my landing approach well, as I fly on a relatively small meadow between a street and a soccer field.
With the small 13" prop, it rises at a ~40° angle. I can achieve flight times between 15 and 20 minutes. I have programmed the telemetry to give an alarm, when 2000mAh are used up, so I have a little safety margin with my 2300mAh A123s.

The take off weight is 2.72kg.

Unfortunatelly, none of my buddys witnessed the flight, so I had no camera man. But I will post flight photos as soon as we make them.

The `tween deck solution came out nicer than planned. I put it a little deeper, so that it just covered the servos. ESC, RX, and the telemetry sensor are now sitting on, and not under, the deck, next to the battery.
The sensor is tucked away in the rear part. Although the RX sits near the ESC, which has a switching BEC (with a removed choke ), the telemetry did not report any glitches.

After the last flights, when the temperature was decresing, I noticed an interesting phenomenon: At about 30% of the chord line, there was a 5cm wide strip with a little ice on it. I attribute this to a separation bubble.

Miniphase, thanks a lot for the interesting article! A blast to read! I was at the "Take Off Exhibition" in Münster, too, as this is where I live. I displayed my Super Skyflex, a Rogallo plane, and flew a Pibros indoors.
Unfortunatelly, I new nothing about Jupp at that time.

Cheers,

Julez
Last edited by Julez; Jan 02, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2009, 12:33 PM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,602 Posts
that thing is huge. Can't wait to see it fly. Can it turn very well with those short elevons? or am i missing something?
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ritewing Z3 S build
Old Jan 02, 2009, 12:50 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,354 Posts
Well, these cute little things are actually only elevators, controlled by a single servo.
It turns only with the rudder. A little slow for my taste, but well, its not a fun flyer
Old Jan 02, 2009, 12:55 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Cant wait to see some video! Congrats on a successful maiden!
Old Jan 03, 2009, 02:38 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,354 Posts
Thank you, Atom!

I visited a friend today, and we flew behind his house. The winterly landscape was beautiful!
He snapped some photos, and shot a video. I'll post it later.

In the background, you see a radio installation of either the Bundeswehr or the Brits, I forgot. It is rumored to have somthing to do with submarine communications...
Their watchdogs are always barking when we fly in close proximity

Cheers,

Julez
Old Jan 03, 2009, 02:49 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Man he sure got some great shots, looks majestic in the air! Thanks for sharing Julez.

Adam