SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:31 AM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
A Zoom Pinion Mod Works Great!

Out of desperation comes fabs and mods.

I took two common 2.3mm 8 tooth pinions that have the set screw hub (that cant fit in the Zoom, stacked or single) and made a stacker. If you want to flip the TR gear, you can use just one, of course, but I swap motors so often, I just wanted to keep one TR setup. You can also find these in 2.0mm.

I just pressed the gear out of the hub/collar, then cut off the ofensive part. Viola! 8 tooth pinion for stacking or singles! It slides on so I use green Loctite.
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:36 AM
BUR, CA
Joined Mar 2004
39 Posts
i hope it doesnt slip on u
goldenpower1 is offline Find More Posts by goldenpower1
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:39 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenpower1
i hope it doesnt slip on u
Not with the green stuff.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 08:49 AM
Joined Jun 2004
83 Posts
with these small gears could you run a 8 or 9 tooth for the main gear and a 10/11 tooth for the tail? might have to find a motor with a long shaft. run the 10/11 on top of the motor for the tail, so its below the main gear and then the 8/9 on top for the main gear. bad idea?
up
unklpunk is offline Find More Posts by unklpunk
Old Jun 10, 2004, 07:44 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unklpunk
with these small gears could you run a 8 or 9 tooth for the main gear and a 10/11 tooth for the tail? might have to find a motor with a long shaft. run the 10/11 on top of the motor for the tail, so its below the main gear and then the 8/9 on top for the main gear. bad idea?
up
I thought about that and found that typical pinions are the wrong sizes. When stacked to reach the top of the TR input crown gear, the bottom of the top pinion still meshes with the top part of the main gear too. Off the shelf motors dont have long enough shafts to make even a modified top gear work like that.

Anyway, it is not really necescary as the TR rpm needs to compensate for the higher rpm of the main rotor.

-Todd