15,842 Posts
Looks nice. Should make a good flier.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 12, 2014, 02:25 PM
United States, NY, Dobbs Ferry
Joined Oct 2008
748 Posts
WOW! Looking great :-) I have the Dare Halberstadt CL II that I am planing on building 4 channel rc soon.

Stephen
nytjadens is offline Find More Posts by nytjadens
Old Nov 12, 2014, 04:31 PM
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
248 Posts
Thanks guys! Yeah, I am getting ready to start putting the wings on as I've been working on covering them. I just got the new brown tissue in the mail today and I think it is a match. I have the lower wings ready to install but need to cover the other 4 panels tonight. I hope it flies well. I'm curious how I'm going to put the wings on still with the correct dihedral and incidence. We'll see. Otherwise, I'm pleased with it so far. Thanks again.
Branden
bshultz327 is offline Find More Posts by bshultz327
Old Nov 12, 2014, 04:50 PM
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshultz327 View Post
Thanks guys! Yeah, I am getting ready to start putting the wings on as I've been working on covering them. I just got the new brown tissue in the mail today and I think it is a match. I have the lower wings ready to install but need to cover the other 4 panels tonight. I hope it flies well. I'm curious how I'm going to put the wings on still with the correct dihedral and incidence. We'll see. Otherwise, I'm pleased with it so far. Thanks again.
Branden
I'm just throwing this out there, but if it was my plane I'd first get the bottom wings set-up the way I like it. After that I'd make sets of wing jigs and jig it together from the bottom up.

Cheers!
Rocket
RocketRobin is offline Find More Posts by RocketRobin
Old Nov 12, 2014, 09:20 PM
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
248 Posts
Thanks Rocket. That's kind of what I ended up doing. I just got done attaching the bottom wings one at a time. I measured off the top longeron per the instructions for this plane and made a block for it. I went from the bottom of how it sets flat and cut the block so I could rest the wing tip on it and have the dihedral and incidence built in. I'll load some pics here in a few.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 09:45 PM
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
248 Posts
So the bottom wings just attach to the fuse by sticking the half an inch of spar coming off the wing panel through a hole in the lower fuse. and then just laid the tip on the block and hopefully that is sufficient enough to get the desired 1" dihedral and 1.5 deg. incidence. Now, On to the rest of the wings with suggested jigs that I haven't yet made but still need to finish the other wings covering first. 2 coats of dope and a coat of krylon satin clear. Thanks for the help
Branden
Old Nov 14, 2014, 03:50 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,842 Posts
When making wing jigs I use the foam core poster board. One or two per side depending on the plane. Cut out where each wing goes, then slip everything together. Works great.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 15, 2014, 04:04 PM
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
248 Posts
Thanks portablevcb, I think I will try that possibly. Not really sure yet. I still have a few things to do before I put the other wings on. Leather combing on the cockpit, rigging wires in the top wing before covering etc.
Branden
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:32 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,695 Posts
That is really nice and exquisite workmanship!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 16, 2014, 03:41 PM
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
248 Posts
Thanks a million ARUP, I hope it flies just as well. Thanks to everyone for their input and help too.
Branden