SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:53 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
813 Posts
Discussion
Dlaww fs30 build

This is a project that I have been working on since last year. Once I saw Mario Lopez's bike I fell in love with the design, and I saw NF also took his idea's. I set out to try to duplicate Mario's version and I came pretty close 2 speed gearing and all. NF came out with the 701 and I saw that they already copied his design for a 2stroke. I thought if Hmmmm that would be great in a 4stroke version. I emailed NF and asked if they were going to come out with a 4stroke version they said no. I purchased the 701 and broke everything down and cut out my own chassis plates. Leaving the engine compartment blank and configured the space for the OS FS 26CX that I converted to a 30 with replacing the piston and sleeve. Anyway the hardest part was getting a throttle setup that worked well, I'm still working that out but sofar so good. Oh and I have 2 speed gearing on its way in the mail. Right now Ihave a 48 pitch clutch bell and spur gear setup that is scary quick, feels like the bike is going to flip. The 2speed should settle things out nicely. These are some pics and video to follow I finally have my 4 stroke bike that I have been wanting to add to my collection
DLAWW is offline Find More Posts by DLAWW
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:02 AM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
957 Posts
Wow, congrats on getting it close to finished. Sweet that it uses the stock head...Really nice Are you going to fit a micro-drive? I have not found out how tall I can go yet on the 701. The 10/28 works well but you could benefit from a 10/25 if it will work unless your 2 speed will take care you. Im loving the LiFe batteries.
dragbikebam is offline Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Last edited by dragbikebam; Mar 17, 2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:11 AM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
813 Posts
Yeah and the performance really surprised me the Nolan head would have been nice to have in there.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:31 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,792 Posts
Sweet bike Dwayne. This bike looks familiar...was this the one you were trying to sell a while back or was that another bike?
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:07 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
813 Posts
No that was another NF the 509, this is off the 701 with a four stroke motor adaptation. Compared to the two stroke the low end torque is scary fast and takes some getting use to. The feel of that power band is tricky, feels like its going to flip or go 12 O clock fast. I still have some tuning to work out but all in all I'm happy with the out come. Hey mike what hub did you use to get the micro drive on your 701?.
Last edited by DLAWW; Mar 17, 2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:00 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2008
118 Posts
Very nice job. I am actually working in a similar project but I am little bit behind. I already have set the 2 speed transmission.
I hope we can race together at 2014 US nationals. Will be nice having some 4 strokes in action.
japtj2000 is offline Find More Posts by japtj2000
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:13 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
813 Posts
Yes it would be nice to get the four strokes out there we have enough guys for a nitro class. Off the top of my head 1. Lito(Nolan fs30), 2.you(?) 3.me (DL4S30), 4. Dragbikemike(several nitro bikes ?????) 5.I believe Nolan said he would show? (FPM). I'm sure there will be more, hey what 2speed tranny did you go with?. I have been looking for a very compact unit that wont stick out so far.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:18 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2008
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWW View Post
Yes it would be nice to get the four strokes out there we have enough guys for a nitro class. Off the top of my head 1. Lito(Nolan fs30), 2.you(?) 3.me (DL4S30), 4. Dragbikemike(several nitro bikes ?????) 5.I believe Nolan said he would show? (FPM). I'm sure there will be more, hey what 2speed tranny did you go with?. I have been looking for a very compact unit that wont stick out so far.
That would be really nice. The 2 speed is from a serpent 747. That was the best fit after several 2 speed setup tested.
japtj2000 is offline Find More Posts by japtj2000
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:22 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
813 Posts
I just saw your post in the pics thread yeah I think your gonna need a heavier flywheel for the 4 stroke engine. They need the wait to keep it spinning, I found that out the hard way also. Pm me we can collaborate on our projects the four stroke is a joy and a pain. From OH! and from my old friend Stubby who also is going to be there for the 2014 Nationals " Are you Man enough for Nitro!". He also has the Nolan Bike this looks like its going to get interesting in 2014.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 03:33 PM
United States, CO, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2006
294 Posts
Yes

Nice job Dlaww. Way to go!
I will definitely be there with my R30FS and a SB5 for the stock race. I am working on a new bike for the superbike class and maybe even a new FS. I made some of the first parts last week
And then there's my two Venom bikes I need to get working.
Nolan Farmer is offline Find More Posts by Nolan Farmer
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:47 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWW View Post
No that was another NF the 509, this is off the 701 with a four stroke motor adaptation. Compared to the two stroke the low end torque is scary fast and takes some getting use to. The feel of that power band is tricky, feels like its going to flip or go 12 O clock fast. I still have some tuning to work out but all in all I'm happy with the out come. Hey mike what hub did you use to get the micro drive on your 701?.
Im just using the 509 alloy rear hub, works with no mods. Im going to bring the RG and NF's, I might bring the FPM but not thinking about racing it. Atleast it will be a 4 stroke 2 stroke show down..
Old Mar 18, 2014, 05:48 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
813 Posts
Here is some footage of the bike and the first run enjoy!.
http://youtu.be/3w_994-p4cQ
Last edited by DLAWW; Mar 19, 2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 05:56 PM
Trowbridge UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,212 Posts
awsom job with that build. looks and sounds abit ungeared to me, about 2/1 is the ratio I would look for clutch to spur.
Whitham69 is offline Find More Posts by Whitham69
Old Mar 18, 2014, 06:03 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
813 Posts
Yeah I'm working on the gearing I have a 2speed in the mail hopefully it wont take me to long to figure it out. Right now trying to just tune everything and smooth the kinks.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:22 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
957 Posts
Looks like its going to be sweet when geared, that engine is making a ton of power.