Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
Discussion
Old J-3 Cub to E-Power

I started a thread a long long time ago the first year I got into the hobby:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post10174602

and well I finally dug the plane back out to finally make it electric and fly again.

Last night I got the fuselage all gutted out. I was surprised but I had all the hardware to mount the Turnigy G60 Brushless Outrunner 500kv (.60 Glow) that I bought a while back. I wired up 70A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller and hopefully the BEC inside will be enough to run (3) standard hitec servos. Planning on running it on 6s 5000mAh packs that I have with a 13x6.5e prop.

The cowling is for the 40 size hangar 9 cub and it looks great but I need to paint it white which will not happen until it flys. So far the as it sits with motor/esc the CG is perfect.
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Last edited by HugoCraft; Jun 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:30 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
Pictures from way back in 2008

Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:25 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,485 Posts
John, whats the WS on this? It almost looks like my kit. My kit was a copy of a Goldberg kit I believe. LOL, I read your old thread, nothing screams hijacking like that one. Post up some pics as to what your going to do to this plane.
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:44 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
John, whats the WS on this? It almost looks like my kit. My kit was a copy of a Goldberg kit I believe. LOL, I read your old thread, nothing screams hijacking like that one. Post up some pics as to what your going to do to this plane.
Wingspan is 68" just eyeballing it using a tape measure.

I haven't done anything to it since the last photos were taken last weekend. I just want to get it up in the air and have fun with it.

Then later down the road paint the cowl white, had landing gear triangles to the wire, and add wing struts.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:58 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoCraft View Post
Wingspan is 68" just eyeballing it using a tape measure.

I haven't done anything to it since the last photos were taken last weekend. I just want to get it up in the air and have fun with it.

Then later down the road paint the cowl white, had landing gear triangles to the wire, and add wing struts.
Its the clipped version of my plane then. Cool! I want to see it fly so I can see if I should of built this version. Doh!
Old Jul 04, 2013, 11:05 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I'm interested in how you will mount the battery?
Are you gonna pull the wing or make a battery hatch?
Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jul 05, 2013, 12:49 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
I'm interested in how you will mount the battery?
Are you gonna pull the wing or make a battery hatch?
Walter
I made a battery hatch for mine.
Old Jul 05, 2013, 07:51 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
I might make a hatch way down the road but I doubt it since I have a feeling that when I take this plane to the field I'll only fly it a couple times so undoing 2 bolts to take the wing off to swap a battery isn't that big of a deal.
Old Jul 06, 2013, 07:43 AM
Joined May 2006
822 Posts
Cowl / Battery Hatch

Hugo,

I use that same cowl on my Goldberg Cub that I converted to electric using the Axi 4120 and 5S batteries. In fact I'm in the process of re-painting a new one white after a mishap caused a hard landing.

Anyway, I put my battery where the fuel tank would be with velcro on the bottom and a velcro strap to hold it down. Also, the left side fuselage window is mounted with magnets, allowing a battery change without removing the wing. For safety, I use a deans plug looking "key" to power and de-power the aircraft.

You can get a set of articulating gear from here: http://www.cublandinggear.com Fits and works very well, and looks amazing.

Good luck with yours - you'll love it.
Kenpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kenpilot
Old Jul 07, 2013, 12:13 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,197 Posts
You might be interested in my thread about finishing my really old Sig 1/6 scale Cub on Scale Electric forum:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1754853
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jul 29, 2013, 04:42 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
I need to take completed photos of it but got on board video last night since I felt like pulling the plane out and bolting the gopro to it

GoPro Forward J-3 Cub (9 min 41 sec)

GoPro on J-3 Cub (10 min 30 sec)
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:30 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
This is what it looks like for about the last dozen flights with the 40 size hangar 9 cowling
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:32 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
Now it has the landing gear from the E-Flite Super Cub 32e and I painted the cowling white. Hope to get flying pics of it tonight all together.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:55 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
This what I took off
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:13 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,887 Posts
This is how it looks now. I ended up taking (2) of the (4) rubberbands off the landing gear and now its not too stiff. Got the cowling painted and mounted. Just need to make a battery access hatch on the bottom instead of taking off the wing to swap batteries so I can make struts for it.