HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:37 PM
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,562 Posts
Discussion
Robin's Hobby Service - Bad Experience

I wanted to try to support the LHSs in my area but it's proving difficult.

I stopped in at Robin's Hobby (Glendale, CA) last Monday. I was working from home and had a few free minutes during the early afternoon. I had in mind to buy Phoenix 4 and maybe some spare lipos for my new Super CP. I believe it was the owner who helped me (I heard others called him "Robin"). I handed him a lipo from my Super CP and asked if he had anything like it. He liiked around a bit and came up with a similar Heli-Max lipo and said "this should work". I bought it along with a copy of Phoenix 4. I had a friendly discussion with him about being new to the hobby and local flying spots then left.

When I got home, it plugged the battery in (had the same connector) and it immediately smoked the Rx board. Too late I saw the polarity of the Heli-max lipo was reversed.

Yes, it was dumb of me not to closely check the polarity of a new lipo. Won't be making that particular mistake again. I'm an adult, not completely inexperienced in electronics, and should have known better. That said, as an R/C hobby pro, Robin should have known better too. I handed him the stock lipo. He also should have checked or warned me to do so. I did tell him I was new to the hobby.

I have not been back there since and don't know if I will ever return. I'd like to say something to him about the incident, but I'm still a bit mad so perhaps it's best I wait a bit longer. I don't know what I'd expect him to do. He doesn't carry Walkera but maybe a simple apology would do. In any case, if you new to the R/C like me, this particular shop may not be the best place to go.
stringrazor is online now Find More Posts by stringrazor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:14 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,210 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, I have only shopped there once in my hobby career and thought of them as just a so so shop. Others tell me they are great.

As for you paticular situation, your both at fault, as you mentioned you should have checked and he certainly should have noticed the polarity difference at the time of sale. If I were in his shoes I would certainly appologize for not noticing.

sux when so many things line up to cause a failure.
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth