HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Discussion
Dragon Rapide

I'm not a huge scale buff myself, but I recall seeing photos of models of this plane in the Tritle Appreciaton thread, and figured some might be interested in some history (and more photos) of this plane. It sure is a distinctive shape.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...meless-classic
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:07 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
I'm not a huge scale buff myself, but I recall seeing photos of models of this plane in the Tritle Appreciaton thread, and figured some might be interested in some history (and more photos) of this plane. It sure is a distinctive shape.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...meless-classic
I have heard it was the most efficient bi-plane design ever. Pat Tritle's design was kitted by Dumas Models as an RC model with a 42" wingspan. There are certainly some Brittish folks on this forum who are very enthusiastic about this airplane and will gladly offer up some interesting history. It has a starring position in early airliners with regularly scheduled service.

I built one several months ago and it was enjoyable. I did mine in Scottish colors.

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
Last edited by payne9999; Dec 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
I have more than 100 flights on a 96" Dragon Rapide. It was team built years ago by two great gentlemen that were more builders than flyers. The model was from the Schweitzer plans. Was glow powered with twin OS .50s, but would make a lovely electric model at that size.

Overall a joy to fly, but it did need some carefull attention in the air. It was slightly directionally unstable and was perfectly happy flying along a bit yawed to the left or right....

Flew beautifully with some rudder coordination. Was slightly better at wheel landings vs full stall and preferred short grass to the pavement.

We flew it in several team scale competitions around North Texas. One of my prouder moments in RC was when the famous Maxey Hester came over after a flight and told me that wheel landing that I had just made in a crosswind was one of the very best landings he had ever seen.

One of my favorite aircraft of all time.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:03 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
453 Posts
I had the great fortune to fly in a Rapide in October. What an experience and what a beautiful plane.
See my blog for a video of the flight, it's not the greatest as it is my first attempt at You Tube.
I have a set of Mike Payne plans for a 64" build which I am saving for retirement (3 years)
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:21 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
We flew it in several team scale competitions around North Texas. One of my prouder moments in RC was when the famous Maxey Hester came over after a flight and told me that wheel landing that I had just made in a crosswind was one of the very best landings he had ever seen.

One of my favorite aircraft of all time.
Simply awesome, I really miss Maxey.
Chris...
stuntflyr is online now Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:08 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
329 Posts
If doing a Rapide to scale, be sure to get two things right in particular: the rake angle of the cockpit bulkhead, which slopes back further than shown in most drawings and kits, affecting the canopy and cabin window shapes, and the prop centrelines, which are 11 ft 6 in apart, not 12 feet. You'd be surprised how much these things affect the overall "sit" of the aircraft. Also, the fuselage sides curve almost continuously in plan, the only straight parts being from the rear of the cabin to the front of the tailplane; any drawing that shows them straight and parallel amidships is inaccurate, and probably has several other bits wrong, too. Best to work from photographs, and lots of them! Note that the lower wings are very slightly gulled, with -25' anhedral on the stub planes. Also, the rudder is taller than is generally appreciated.
Welsh Dave is offline Find More Posts by Welsh Dave
Last edited by Welsh Dave; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:20 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
329 Posts
More manual drawings.

Name: wingplan.jpg
Views: 104
Size: 181.4 KB
Description: Note extensive ply sheeting under fabric. Rather Fokker-like, non?Some extra details.
Last edited by Welsh Dave; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:48 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
I have heard it was the most efficient bi-plane design ever. Pat Tritle's design was kitted by Dumas Models as an RC model with a 42" wingspan. There are certainly some Brittish folks on this forum who are very enthusiastic about this airplane and will gladly offer up some interesting history. It has a starring position in early airliners with regularly scheduled service.

I built one several months ago and it was enjoyable. I did mine in Scottish colors.

Dave
Hmmm, efficient based on???? I would think some of the Reno Bipes are more efficient
The Rapide is a nice looking bird though!
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:58 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
Hmmm, efficient based on???? I would think some of the Reno Bipes are more efficient
The Rapide is a nice looking bird though!
Efficient based on operating cost per seat mile, particularly fuel costs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:31 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
329 Posts
Very low drag and flat glide. It'll slither along for ages in ground effect, which is why the flaps were introduced.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:51 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,076 Posts
I usually think of aerodynamic efficiency, but I guess she WAS an efficient hauler, and certainly "Brit" in her beauty, a very nicely designed aircraft. The DH ships had very nice lines on them, even the Mossie for a warplane, was gorgeous.

Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:05 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
453 Posts
Check out my blog for some light hearted flight footage on board the real deal.
Chomp.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:54 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Dave View Post
Very low drag and flat glide. It'll slither along for ages in ground effect, which is why the flaps were introduced.
A biplane is never "very low drag", but the Rapide was better than most biplanes in this area... Biplane drag and the modest amount of horsepower contributes to the modest cruising speed of the Rapide. Care attention to streamlining, weight and high aspect ratio wings worked strongly in its favor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:00 AM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
329 Posts
[QUOTE=Thomas B;23708847]A biplane is never "very low drag", but the Rapide was better than most biplanes in this area... B

Comparatively speaking, of course. Many experienced monoplane pilots have expressed astonishment at the Rapide's flat glide by any standards.
Last edited by Welsh Dave; Jan 17, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:23 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,520 Posts
Chris Golds did a nice, 60" electric Rapide. He said as per the full size it much prefers to be wheel landed, 3 pointers leading to a ground loop.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy