HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Sep 2012
363 Posts
Thanks for the info..... but I have made my move and bought a Super Cub from HobbyZone for $99.
Next question is........ what is the best low cost transmitter I should get that will work with all the airplanes I have.
And, what should be my next plane? T-28 ?
Bob6831 is offline Find More Posts by Bob6831
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:16 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob6831 View Post
Thanks for the info..... but I have made my move and bought a Super Cub from HobbyZone for $99.
Next question is........ what is the best low cost transmitter I should get that will work with all the airplanes I have.
The Super Cub will serve you well. Now what Super Cub did you get? If it is the original RTF version it has a proprietary radio that is basically just a toy. Not that it isn't reliable but it has an easily breakable throttle slider for the left control stick.... It's no tragedy at all and the plane is perfectly flyable like that.

Now, if you are looking for a transmitter, keep in mind that the receivers for all your planes will have to compatible with the transmitter. Futaba receivers don't work with Spektrum transmitters, for instance. Everybody will scream at you how their radio manufacturer is best. The sad truth is that it's hard to buy a bad radio today, as long as you stick to established known manufacturers, and I include FRSky among them as only an example.

I have experience with Spektrum equipment and I like it. I'm sure I'd like Airtronics, JR, Futaba, fill in the blank. One nice thing about Spektrum is that you can buy OrangeRX receivers from Hobby King for about $5.00 that are wonderfully good. You could stick one of those in the Super Cub.

Then you have to think about transmitters. You can buy a Spektrum DX5e for about $50. Now they call this an analogue radio. It is not. It is just as digital as all their other radios with the advantage that the receiver binds to only that transmitter, which sends out authentication with every command. Even if you had another person turn on a transmitter which happened to pick the identical frequencies, your radio would listen only to your transmitter. This is true of all computer radios.

But what most people are talking about when they say "computer radio" is radios that have programmable functions: variable dual rate, customizable exponential rates, customizable throttle curves, custom mixes between different functions, model memory, so your radio remembers all your custom settings for each plane. The DX6i is the most cost effective way to get into a Spektrum computer radio. I am not sure of the best current price available.

If you're not in an extremely crowded area, you can save money by picking up a used DSM2 model that somebody thinks is now junk. It will serve you as well as the new radio unless you are flying in the immediate vicinity of 50 or more other fliers also using Spektrum equipment. Taking advantage of somebody else's insecurities is always a great way to save money.

I own a DSM2 DX5e and haven't had a glitch in three years. It's a wonderful thing. If money is a big problem, don't feel deprived to order a DX5e. You can buy the higher priced spread later and the DX5e makes a great buddy box radio.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,371 Posts
I'd say pick your brand (I fly Specktrum) and buy as much radio as you can afford. Cheaper than upgrading later.

Personally I went Specktrum for telemetry, the range of bind and fly planes, and cheap orange rx for little foam planes. I also like their power safe rx for big stuff.
JeffinTD is online now Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:01 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob6831 View Post
cub -> put ailerons on cub (or you could go with apprentice, etc.) -> t28

if you don't feel like jumping into radios just yet you can use the dx4e that comes with the cub with the t28. i even used it to fly my spitfire - it does just fine.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl