SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:31 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Cool
New - Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP!!!

Hot off the Extreme Flight press:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP - Trailer (1 min 58 sec)

NEW EXTREME FLIGHT RC 60 INCH EDGE 540T EXP!!!

Already well into the production cycle and due early 2011, Extreme Flight RC is about to unleash its newest 3D monster to the masses! Introducing the 60 inch Edge 540T EXP!

Based on the construction techniques pioneered in the 48 inch EXP series, this new 60 inch airframe retains the agility and insane control authority of the smaller aircraft while gaining the stability and presence of a larger airframe.

Designed around the mighty Torque 4016T/500 brushless outrunner, Airboss Elite 80 Amp ESC and Hitec 5245 digital servos, the Edge has ballistic performance on 5S and 6S LiPo battery set-ups. 4S set-ups will also be possible with the correct Kv motor.

Specifications:

Wingspan: 60 inches

Length: 58.5 inches

Wing Area: 760 square inches

Weight: 4.75-5.5 lbs (depending on battery and power system)

The ARF kit includes:

-Carbon and composite reinforced fuselage and landing gear mount.

-Carbon fiber landing gear, tailwheel assembly, and wing tube.

-Complete hardware package with dual ball links for all control surface actuation.

-2 Ultracote color schemes.

-Decal sheet.

-Side Force Generators

The assembly process is basically identical to that of the smaller EXP series aircraft, and it doesn't get much easier or faster than that! Most experienced modelers can have this thing in the air in 3 hours or less.

We've done a lot of experimenting with this power system and various batteries and props. Here are some interesting details using the 4016/500 and Airboss Elite 80 Amp ESC:

16x8 XOAR on 5S TP 3850 mah~1100 Watts at 65 Amps

16x10 XOAR on 5S TP 3850 mah~1300 Watts at 73 Amps

15x6 XOAR on 6S Turnigy Nanotech 3000 mah~1250 Watts at only 53 Amps!!!!

15x8 XOAR ON 6S Turnigy Nanotech 3000 mah~1400 Watts at 71 Amps.

We hope to receive shipping confirmation by late December and will begin taking orders as soon as this information is relayed to us.

We will be offering a massive discount on the airframe/motor/esc package to make it as affordable as possible to outfit this aircraft as it was intended.

Stay tuned for flight video and an assembly video that outlines this process step by step.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How cool is that!

I've been testing this plane for a few weeks now and what I have to report is that the new 60" Edge EXP is an awe inspiring, radical, aerobatic, insanity machine!

The most exceptional thing about this airplane is the flight envelope. On high rates it is the most extreme and capable 3D machine that I have ever had my hands on. At the same time, when you flip on the low rates it is smooth as glass. I believe that the control surface design and the speed and power of the recommended servos are absolutely perfect on this plane!

Compared to the other EXPs, like the smaller Edge, it still retains the position as the most extreme 3D of the bunch. And compared to the 70" Extra it is much more nimble and maneuverable but it does gain a little more stability and inertia from it's larger size. It is great for IMAC practice and precision flying but is more than capable and willing to try any extreme maneuver you want to throw at it.

The power system is very well done! I'm running the 5S setup with some 4 amp Nanotech packs and not only is the power perfect and well balanced but the flight times are ridiculously good. I get longer flight times with this plane than any other electric that I have and it is still a light-as-a-feather crazily overpowered 3D machine.

Additionally, with the recommended power setup the Airboss Elite ESC has a more than sufficient BEC built in. Meaning, that even though this is larger than the 48" EXPs it still retains the simple basic electric setup.

I will report more about this plane as I get more flight time on it in the coming weeks. But for now, if you guys need me I will be at the field from Thu - Sun flying my Edge!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Last edited by hercdriver7777; Feb 07, 2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Vid
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:05 PM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,895 Posts
Sweet! I wonder how they'd fly with a Reaper GR60 on 4s?
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:10 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
I want one.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:15 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,902 Posts
I have just now begun saving for it....
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:17 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I want one.
But you want one of everything... (just like me)....

Besides, you need to take it easy and not get your blood pressure up too high right now...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:37 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics Chris! I've known about this for a while and it's great to see it unveiled to everyone! Looks like you're having a blast with it and I can't wait to get mine!

Guys, this thing it going to be awesome beyond words! I've had more fun than I can say with the 48" Edge (and all the rest of the EXPs) and with the larger size and same design, this thing will crazily stable and fly like a giant scale airplane!
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:44 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,245 Posts
When can we order!!!!!!!!!!!
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:51 PM
USA, NY, Brookhaven
Joined Mar 2003
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I want one.
I want two, one in each color!
rickc
RickC2009 is offline Find More Posts by RickC2009
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:55 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
Besides, you need to take it easy and not get your blood pressure up too high right now...
Sexy red, white and blue Edge in 60"?

Ahh, it's too late....where's my nitro pills?

So, will this plane be ok with the Torque 4014 on 4s, and what about HS225mg servos? I have all that stuff just laying around.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Feb 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:01 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,240 Posts
I will report more about this plane as I get more flight time on it in the coming weeks. But for now, if you guys need me I will be at the field from Thu - Sun flying my Edge! [/QUOTE]

No you don't! Get back at your computer and get that video edited.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:13 PM
France
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
Eh Chris, I remembered you had mentioned a flickr account in the MXS thread
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjplace...7625258019487/
We can see a GoPro camera mounted on the cowl. It promises great video!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjplace...7625258019487/
thef is offline Find More Posts by thef
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:16 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,619 Posts
Nice. I wonder what it will price out to with the combo discount? Now I need to get some 5S lipos.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:30 PM
Knobbs
Friday Harbor, WA -San Juan Island
Joined Aug 2008
478 Posts
Ohh...My.....Freakin'....Goodness!! I only have a few flights on my MXS. Now This!! What to do.
Awesome... I had recently been looking at "the other guys" 57 inch. Now looks like I can stick with EF...thanks boys!!

Rishelman
Rishelman is offline Find More Posts by Rishelman
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:53 PM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
I'm sure I'll get one as well.

Standard 59-60" power system of mine.

Infinite 4030-540 on 6s 2650mah 30c packs.

Awesome power on the 3dhs extra 330sc and I'm sure it will be great on this one..maybe a 3000mAh 6s pack.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:32 AM
Norway
Joined Mar 2010
31 Posts
Please produce it in red/black/yellow.
havard.j is offline Find More Posts by havard.j