Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,787 Posts
They're looking great!
At least I know the longer it takes to get my plane, the better it will be
Happy New Year, Timbuck!
I hope yours is joyous and productive. Mine's already looking long and hard.
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2016, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by Dangerous James
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck View Post
I proved the point " if one bangs there head against a door for long enough it will open " 2016 is going to be an awesome , great , fun , productive and exiting year.
Last year is so yesterday and happy to let that one be forgotten. On wards and up wards I say.
As everyone knows I've always been BIG fan on solid cores , and though trials and tribulations and plan old hard work and hundreds , and thousands of hours researching , learning , experimenting you get to a point where you 2nd question yourself. And wonder why your doing this. Why not just build thing's normal.Ha ha yeh right Like I know what normal is..... I first played with polyurethane foam's in 2010 with the warhead 30 and it been a evolution of failures until now. I've been very close plenty of times to what I wanted , but none of which was repeatable with any reliability that you could do day after day so to speak.
I can not begin to express how many different types I have used and brands , $$$$$$ , spent , time soaked up etc BUT I look back at 5+ years and all I see is an evolution of what my brain kept seeing , all the failures just gave me a little clue to follow and you float around the goal mouth with out ever kicking one in. These where all stepping stones to an end result , and with each failure you learn another piece to the puzzle that you keep placing together until you get an understanding of what has to happen. It a very complex situation with and with many complex factors that if you change one the end result is no good. Polyurethanes have so many chemicals that control every part of the process , also so many different types of polyurethanes that work in different ways to get a similar outcome. But all are subject to + and - problems and factors that don't achieve the results. They are brilliant and frustrating at the same time.
As I mentioned the other day I've built multiple polyurethane tail cores. And now with good success over the last month. Also for an experiment I did a solid PU core warhead 30 fuze with very good results. I've got a few more pieces of the puzzle to put in place but I'm closer than I ever wished could have been possible.
I've got a meeting with a polyurethane expert who is hopefully going to help me change the formula of the PU I'm using now ( he wrote the formula for it) so it will hopefully do what I need it to do and I'm sure he is the man to come up with the solution I need.

At this stage I'm 99% sure that all gizmo and gizlite tails will be PU foam core with naked carbon. They are coming out 1/3 lighter and x2 stronger than anything I've built before. Seriously..... Probably the best parts I've ever created.
The warhead 30 test fuze was a heavy carbon 240g twill weave lay up and came out trimmed at 105g. No flex and bullet proof. I'm sure it would handle 100mph landing.
I really want this to become how I build all of my planes in the future. I have a lot I want to bring to life but this is my key that will help me unlock the door. I think it's paramount to push the boundaries on what we all think is achievable in life. One thing I always remember was what Thomas Edison said when asked how he felt after failing over 1000 times to make the first light bulb. He replied " I did not fail a 1000 times , the light bulb was and invention that took 1000 steps"
I think we have all felt like that multiple times in our lives and it makes us better as we evolve and learn.

I've by no means got this KO'ed yet , but if I keep swinging soon enough it will fall down. I'm happy with tails for now , and hopefully be able to complete the puzzle in coming months etc

For now a few pics to show that the harder you work the luckier you get.

2016 is going to rock , let's all have a ripper of a year

Tim
Dangerous James is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous James
Old Jan 05, 2016, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by killercando
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
1,389 Posts
Wow great stuff! Tim, what are you using to get such good release of the PU foam from the molds. Looks like its working really well, even the thin flange area is releasing intact.

Thank you for sharing

Lee
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Old Jan 05, 2016, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by timbuck
Nothing is easy
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,244 Posts
AL

At this stage wing cores are still CNC machined , and yes these tails are moulded.

Dave
Agreed that's the beauty of evolution

Lea
Yes , PU is a glue and will stick into almost any surface. It's been my nemesis for a very long time. The amount of tails split in half when splitting the mould was relentless and also I have learnt that a lot of them effect the foam surface Finnish and has been a very expensive learning curve and a real pain to get one that would release and make a nice part. The funny thing is everyone says there release will do the job perfect and none of them do. Really got up my nose.
I'm very happy the fine details come out perfect as it was a real worry I could never achieve that.

Thanks guys , I really do enjoy the weird scientist side of the hobby and trying to make things differently.
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More colours
Old Jan 05, 2016, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by gazasmith
Australia, QLD
Joined Jan 2013
35 Posts
Tim
have you got any UV protection in the naked carbon parts . I have seen a lot of damage to the fibreglass tape on my foamies. They have copped a lot of uv as stored in a room with lots of Windows. If there's no uv protection I suggest they should be covered when stored. I use a clear coat uv paint on the bare carbon parts on my boat, recoat every 12 months.
gazasmith is offline Find More Posts by gazasmith
Old Jan 05, 2016, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by ZIPPER
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,963 Posts
The UV damage to the fiberglass tape on your foamies is the glue breaking down not the glass.
I've found with all naked carbon parts, that you need to keep them out of the sun because of the heat build up from being black, the heat can warp your wings before the UV can break them down.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Jan 05, 2016, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by timbuck
Nothing is easy
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER View Post
The UV damage to the fiberglass tape on your foamies is the glue breaking down not the glass.
I've found with all naked carbon parts, that you need to keep them out of the sun because of the heat build up from being black, the heat can warp your wings before the UV can break them down.
+1
There are hundreds of rc gliders , DLG's built naked carbon with no protection
Heat distortion is the biggest issue , as a carbon part can heat so you can not touch them very fast in our auzzie sun. That's why a lot of rc gliders painted on top and naked underside.
Besides gizmo's don't last long enough to worry about the sun degrading them well when I'm DSing them anyway
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More colours
Old Jan 05, 2016, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by shipwreck5
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Feb 2007
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck View Post
+1
There are hundreds of rc gliders , DLG's built naked carbon with no protection
Heat distortion is the biggest issue , as a carbon part can heat so you can not touch them very fast in our auzzie sun. That's why a lot of rc gliders painted on top and naked underside.
Besides gizmo's don't last long enough to worry about the sun degrading them well when I'm DSing them anyway
Tim's right,

The problem with UV is that over time the epoxy/resin, if it's not uv stabilized will break down and turn milky over time.

This is a problem for carbon sailboat masts that aren't coated with clear or colored LP since they sit out full time in the sun.

Gliders typically only spend an hour or two at a session in the sun, so you may never really see the epoxy break down from the limited use rather than if you left it out full time.

On a side note, I hope I'm still on the list for a Gizlite?

Cheers and keep up god's work Timbo.

Steve
shipwreck5 is online now Find More Posts by shipwreck5
Old Jan 06, 2016, 06:39 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jan 2013
35 Posts
Top reply on uv goes to Tim. My take is fly hard fly fast push the limits. B doing thatvyoubshould kill a plane well before uv kills it
Lol the rum jugs are in my post.
Dropped from second to fourth in national titles need to improve the next 2 days to get on the podium. How did we get a westerly breeze in brissy at this time of year
Old Jan 16, 2016, 04:34 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jan 2013
35 Posts
Gizlite (5 min 48 sec)

Not very good video quality but some funny commentary.
Flying site Slade point water tower. (Mackay Qld. Aussie)
Was flying my Buzz until the wind got too strong and couldn't go forward on the slope.
Gizlite was just awesome
Old Jan 16, 2016, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by batballs
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,958 Posts
Nice flight.
Great camera work; seeing the plane in the screen is overrated
batballs is online now Find More Posts by batballs
Old Jan 27, 2016, 07:02 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jan 2013
35 Posts
Just watched video again the wind power that day was perfect for my gizlite
Has anyone seen data or a formula to calc a power or energy factor taking into account the different atmospheric conditions and geographical features of flying sites.

My slopes we notice a increase in lift as the shade in front of the slope increases. So temperature factor
What about pressure, humidity and other atmospheric conditions.

Then we look at the slope, we have notice the size of the lift bubble changes with wind strength, high winds the top get blown off.

At the moment I want to work out the atmospheric side so I can better understand when to fly my Gizlite. The above video was 18knts on bom observations the plane was awesome . Next flight was 15knts not fun more just keeping smooth to stay in the air. I'm sure I've read here somewhere people flying gizlites in 10knts, why can't I do that.