HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:17 PM
Canada, ON, Greater Sudbury
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Discussion
Help me to choose then I'll erase this request...

Well, I've read until my eyes have almost bled, I am trying to decide on my first real 3d plane. I have six months of flying, trained on a sim , hobby king Cessna, Bixler and have been playing with a hobbyking Reaktor, loving the way this flies.
Looking for something bigger in a tail dragger so I can earn my wings at my local flying field, the cessna tricycle is not reliable and loves to fall on it's side like my old big red trike used to, lol.
I am stuck on a few models, whether or not I should jump into a balsa or stick to a foamy until I am as good as I can be. Would rather a balsa for the look and quality but the foamies are somewhat repairable but I suspect they don't fly as well, some insight would be great. I would like to order from hobbying as for most I can get all the parts to build it through them.
Some of the choices I'm considering:
balsa edge 540t , sbach 342, edge 540
Foamy mx-2, yak 54ep
I don't know, all seem to have some sort of major issue, I sure all need initial maintenance, I figure I want a balsa but I also want to be able to fix the foamy if and when I crash, I hate the idea of buidling a beautiful plane, one bad landing and a wing is damaged and you have to throw it away cause you cannot buy a wing for most...
firedawg1998 is offline Find More Posts by firedawg1998
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:23 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
my suggestion... first, telink 44 slick or sukhoi, as a second plane any skywing 48" size and when you are totally comfy with them, go balsa... yes, they are more expensive, but telinks are 10000000% worth it! (and recomended power set is CHEAP and adequate for any profile foamy) i was flying a non telink foamy, couldnt fly for a $"$"%$%^, got a telink and on my second battery was dragging tail... so that has to say something!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Thanks for the ultra response, What beautiful planes, I wish I would have seen these before my reaktor purchase, but in its defense for the price its awesome, 35", major 3d able, pilot not so much. Just not great for a proper landing to prove I can fly, pretty flimsy gear, I hand launch it a float it to the ground but the club would like to see some landings and take off, so I currently have to fly with a member present which rarely allows me to fly as I am a shift worker and decicated father... looking for something with decent gear. I had converted my cessna to a tail dragger but it didn't like any tail weight at all, flew major tail heavy.
Do you have any experience with a larger foam 3d plane,I have alot of glue for these planes. lol, Parts and shipping are a pain, expensive or not available here in northern Canada so some items are just impossible.
thanks
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:07 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
do i have expirience? i own/ed 2x 3d busters(40" span), a telink sukhoi and slick(44" span) and all of them was replaced only because i was too lasy to glue back that last time/wanted something else/needed hanger space... well, telinks doesnt exactly have parts, but unles you keep crashing on wide open throttle 5x per battery, i cant imagine you not being able to glue plane back... and even if you trash it in 6months, you will raise your skill level BY FAR... well, on my hyperion sniper i killed gear in 3-4 flights, while my telink slick gear lasted me for a year(i replaced my slick last week, not due to being unflyable, but becoming too ugly from hangar rash) and speaking of gear, 3dhs 48" extra sc gear is a piece of "$"% compared to telink... where telink gear is springy and springs back, 3dhs gear just bends (but while you learn to land, it serves its purpose)

and p.s. if you want to understand a 3d flying, read/watch trough bonedocs 3d clinic, make it your bible and it will eliminate a LOAD of how to fly questions... and get a sim (phoenix or realflight...) im not sure if realflight allows you to fly with your own transmitter but phoenix does...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Oh I figured you had alot of time on those foamies, they are really great looking, I guess I should have been a little more specific about the one I was looking at, I guess they are big and round to resemble a balsa structure in design. I've kind of grown away from that just over the day today while searching. Our local club owner and I had a chat today, we agreed that maybe hobby king is possible using sub par balsa material so I may just look at a "Great Hobby", they came recommended and quality guaranteed. they have many models and all the power systems are available, but those telinks are beautiful... I am still on my sim some nights and love what I am learning on my hobbyking reaktor. thanks for the insite
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Well I think I maybe down to two model, both "Great Planes", 50" , both run on 2200 4s with a turnigy 3548 900kv.

edge 540t , blue and white
chapman eagle 580, yellow with blue decals

Any imput appreciated
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:44 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
If you are going to be aiming to learn 3d you really can't go wrong with one of those telinks. I don't have one yet but have had the chance to fly one and they are very very resilient to anything you throw at them. Land and takeoff just as easily as anything else and if you manage to break something a bit of glue a few minutes for it to dry and you are back in the air again. A telink is on my list to buy over the winter just need to decide on which one.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:50 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
If you are shooting for 3d, stay away from great planes. They tend to fly heavy and crappy post stall.

If you want something you can fly slow and close to you, look at the crack yak. You can keep the rates low to learn, but as your skills improve, the plane will be able to keep up! When it crashes, repairs are usially made easily with welders glue. The welders flexes great when dry so you arent likely to re-break the same areas over and over! Even after you move up to the big planes you'll still have a crack yak around!

The tellinks are also a great first or second 3d plane.
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Thanks I will have a look at the crack yak, I do have that hobbyking Reaktor 3D, it is a great flyer/learner, but I am not really learning any landing and takeoff, tricycle gear on my cessna is no good for my average landing, reaktor like to just stop and land in 6 inches, gear is really flimsy, I am really just looking for a tail dragger, mid wing so i can have an increasing fun time as I improve, will install an orange flight stabalizer and dial down as I improve, really stabalizes my bixler glider for videos and helped me train myself on my 880mm cessna which has alot of slowfly negative tendancies.
I watched some crack yak videos, quickly it is very much like my reaktor, which I am using often at my nearby field. In a perfect world, I buy a decent 3d, larger bird, taildragger and I earn my flying wings so I don't have to bother club members to come out and fly with me everytime I have a chance to go. Thanks for the info, I'll keep reading on an maybe order something after the holiday..
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:57 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
If you've already got some experience, I would move up to the 48" size. The tellinks are great, or of you want all balsa, I loved my Ef edge exp! It was my first balsa when ingot back into 3d!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Well I really went full circle there on this one. I sure wanted a beautiful balsa plane to be proud of to display at the flying club, but I chose to "want one Still", but am a realist and know I will probally total it on video and everyone will call me a total noob, hahaha. So I ordered a 342 sbach 49" foamy, the new dynam, ARF model, on sale 125.00 . I have the dx6 and the 4s 2200's so it will be a relatively cheap investment for what I hope will be a more realistic 3d flying experience than my reaktor as it is very light and wind its its worst enemy, or atleast mine. I just know I'll end up dumbthumbing this and well I hope I can glue it back together a few times, lol. next year when I really have it all figured out I'll spend the cash and buy a beauty, for now I should stick to somewhat trainers and learners. Happy Flying ..
Closed Thread